Cash only Rant *Updated*

rlee

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use ApplePay or my chip CC as much as possible. Cash for small purchases and tips. At the end of the day coins go into the jar.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
0/10
Small businesses (all businesses) pay a TON of money in processing fees.
I think you just didn't see the sign, I find it very hard to believe it was not conspicuously posted.
I can't believe these stupid kids these days that put a coffee and a donut on a credit card...or debit card for that matter.
I was fine with your post until you called people stupid for buying a coffee and donut using a CC.

There is no need to insult people based on how they choose to pay.

I pay for everything with a CC. From something that costs $1 to a $5K mountain bike. I would post a screenshot of my CC statement, but it's like 300 small transactions and that might give someone an aneurism.

I do it out of convenience. I also get cash back with one card and get money to spend at Cabelas and BassPro with the other. I have $600 accumulated to spend at Cabelas.

I have carried cash with me, and it is a huge PITA for me. When I travel to LATAM I carry cash, and it s*cks. In Europe, I carry cash and end with pockets full of Euro coins heavy AF. With the prices here, I would blow through $100 in 1 hour. Carrying a stack of $100 bills all the time in my pocket is a PITA.

I do keep $60 in my car. And I pay cash to my barber.

swatgig

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If I ever owned a food business, I wouldn't take cash. Only plastic. It's annoying as hell when the people in Subway put on gloves to make the food, then take them off to handle cash, then put them back on to make more food. I'd have the person key the order into the sanitized computer screen, make the food, ring up the order in the sanitized computer, and tell you to insert your card. My employees would never touch anything previously touched by a customer. I guess I could put in a cash machine - insert your bills and have it give change.

I'd prefer to have the customers place the order on a kiosk, make the payment, and walk over to the pickup area with their receipt. The employee would place the bag of food in front of the customer after seeing that he or she had the correct order number on the receipt.

If I was able to hire employees for what they are worth, rather than what the government says I have to pay them, I'd consider having a cashier, but since the government has taken that choice from me, I'm going with the cost effective solution. I predict someone will come up with a fully automated burger joint and make a fortune. Restock the meat, sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, buns, frozen fries, and soda fountain. Customer places order through kiosk and kiosk prints a receipt with a barcode. Machine makes the meal, and delivers it to the pickup area. Door to pickup area opens when customer scans the receipt. Like the early days of McDonalds, without the labor.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use my CC as much as possible. Why not borrow someone else's money interest free for 30 days and get rewarded for it.
I wish I could pay my mortgage and get even more points.
I know. I tried to pay my mortgage and car like that. Neither would allow it, debit only. [thinking]

At least I can pay my car insurance and all my bills with a CC.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cash is freedom. I generally have a few hundred on me.

But I do use the Delta card for as much as I can. Free flights are the best. It’s obviously not free because you pay more at the time of sale because merchants have to raise the price to pay the banking masters their fee.

When cash is outlawed, things will get very bad. But that’s a ways off. Use cash to stave off that eventuality.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
We take cash or checks only.

We have never been stiffed on a check.

Your "cash back" is paid for by the 3% discount applied to retailers.

If I were to submit a 100 dollar charge, I get nailed 50 cents for the transaction fee and 3 dollars "discount"

I get $96.50

You are a small retailer, you have a sale for $5.00

$.50 is already gone as the transaction fee, plus 15 more cents. They have to jack the prices up to make this up, and if you don't think that happens you need to talk to a business owner. That is 11% off the gross sale gone before you pay overhead, material cost and labor.

The other danger of CC transactions besides the millions of fraudulent cards out there due to skimmers, is if I fix your car and you decide to stiff me, you dispute the charge and I have to fight it.

The P.I.T.A. of security is another thing, the CC processors want to make sure your internet connection is secure so nobody gets in and issues millions in credits to cards.

This sign is displayed on the doors to the shop and at the service desk

shop sign.png

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
" CASH IS KING ! "
Amen. Cash is king, baby. Hail to the king.

Put a $20 or two in your wallet and move on. I can give you 768 reasons cash is better than debit.

Remember, the less cash we use as a society, the easier it will be for the gubmint to let interest rates to go negative next recession.

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The thing with the higher prices is real, but remember that the places that do this already have the higher prices in place. So you are paying the higher price for credit card use even if you are paying cash. The exception is someplace that give a cash discount or an upcharge to use a credit card. But this is not the general practice, so you are not saving money paying cash in most instances.

mothybee

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
29 yrs. ago when I moved to Ma. from N.H.(Not a misprint) I went to the RMV in Haverhill to re-register my truck, I had just used the last check in the book at the insurance co. Opps! "We don't except cash sir." I said," I'm from the United States and was told this was legal tender here too." She leans over the counter and says," I'm sorry but, this is a real bad area so we don't accept cash. To my right were two registry cops leaning against the counter all dressed up in their S.P. "costumes" like kids going trick or treating, patting their 9mm's. And they didn't want me to bring my guns in to the state? Been 29 yrs. but, had to get that off my chest. MA**holes!

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m laughing at you guys who refuse to use CC, I guess free money is no good for you. I actually do keep a few singles in my truck for tolls ect.. but yea keep leaving free money on the table you cash guys lol
Doesn't know the difference between yea and yeah but he's giving out financial advice.

Reactions: AHM

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
Reverse rant about people who don’t keep
10 or 20 bucks in their pocket at all times.——
"I don’t like them"
Why don’t I like them? People who pay with credit cards
very rarely tip the hard-working girls behind the counter
at the donut shop. People who pay with credit cards are costing
the establishment a fee from the credit card companies
on a two or three buck order sometimes even less. Carry a
few bucks and make it easier for everybody.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Are these cash only businesses avoiding CC charges or evading taxes? Both? I don’t necessarily have a problem with either but have always sort of figured it was mostly a tax thing.

jek

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I charge most everything. I always have cash on me though for things like cash only places, tips for good restaurant wait staff and bartenders, and NES purchases. I wish the NES purchases could be a little more flexible on payment method sometimes [smile].

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Amen. Cash is king, baby. Hail to the king.

Put a $20 or two in your wallet and move on. I can give you 768 reasons cash is better than debit.

Remember, the less cash we use as a society, the easier it will be for the gubmint to let interest rates to go negative next recession.
FWIW, even tho I carry cash, I always keep a folded-up $20 tucked away in one of the wallet compartments. Its saved me a few times when
I spent more than I had planned on, or simply did not realize that I had less cash than I thought I had in my wallet

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m 49 and can’t believe these stupid people that refuse to get cash back on purchases.
It's a complex problem but I'm going out on a limb here. I pay with credit cards when I can for the cash back and frequent flyer miles but I ALSO carry a few 20 dollar bills in my wallet for the small businesses that don't like losing 5% of gross revenues right off the top.

In the typical credit card transaction the vendor pays a percentage of the sale, usually around 3% PLUS a transaction fee of 30 cents or so.

That means a total credit card processing fee on a $5.00 sale of about 45 cents which would be 9%. That's a lotta smack.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
. Please stop, NES doesn’t need the spelling police. And you can F**k right off too how about that?
Don’t get so touchy.

You’re the guy who chose to go to a retailer, then came on here and complained about your own choice.

minininjer

NES Door Greeter
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm 99% credit card. The 1% is reserved for when I go to some Asian place and they take cash only or do the CC only if $8 or $10 or more thing, etc. I always do have under $100 in cash just in case CC machine is down or I go to a cash only place. I don't care if something only costs $1, I'll use my CC if I can. It's just much more convenient for me.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I always carry some cash, but use credit card (NOT debit) whenever possible.

Debit cards are a great way to get your money stolen AND they don't help your credit score. Don't use them. Use a credit card, spend someone else's money, pay the bill off each month and build your credit history.

When someone hacks your debit card, they access your bank account and you'll need to beg for your money back. When someone hacks your credit card, nothing happens to YOUR money and the CC company handles everything for you.

If you have kids, don't let them use debit cards. Get a joint credit card with them and teach them how to use it responsibly. You'd be amazed how much easier it is to get a job when you have a 700+ credit score and everyone else applying has none or bad credit.

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Like most, I use my CC for anything expensive, but I always carry cash as well. In restaurants I pay the bill with a CC but leave a cash tip. Just checked, I have $427 in my pocket--that's a bit low. How much do you carry?

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I ALWAYS carry cash on me as well as cards. I use Google Pay as much possible simply because it's more secure than even cards with chips. Plus much faster at checkout. Assume it's the same for [cr]apple pay. ;)

Honestly, if I'm buying something that less than $20, I'll probably use cash. Or, like on Wednesday, I'm buying ammo at a local shop and the amount would have no change coming back, then it's cash. $60 in ammo, cash. Hell, there's been times when I've had cash in pocket JUST for a purchase.

I find it funny that people refuse to carry cash on them. I was always taught to carry a minimum of $20 on me at all times. Or enough to fill up your gas tank (so that amount has gone up) and get something to eat when you're traveling. If I'm on vacation, or such, I tend to make sure I have a decent amount of cash on me too. Mostly so that any small shop I happen to go into (like a mom and pop) won't pay credit card processing fees on something I'm buying. Often enough you can also haggle a bit on prices (in such places, but not donut shops) if you're paying with cash. Since the shop won't lose any part of the transaction due to fees.

BTW, I used a check to get my Marlin 1894 the other day since using a CC would have added the processing fee to the price. I won't fault the store for doing that since it's TINY. I knew this ahead of time and just brought my checkbook with me. Previous purchase there was cash. :)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always carry some cash, but use credit card (NOT debit) whenever possible.

Debit cards are a great way to get your money stolen AND they don't help your credit score. Don't use them. Use a credit card, spend someone else's money, pay the bill off each month and build your credit history.

When someone hacks your debit card, they access your bank account and you'll need to beg for your money back. When someone hacks your credit card, nothing happens to YOUR money and the CC company handles everything for you.

If you have kids, don't let them use debit cards. Get a joint credit card with them and teach them how to use it responsibly. You'd be amazed how much easier it is to get a job when you have a 700+ credit score and everyone else applying has none or bad credit.
This. I (almost) always have cash on me but will pay for most things with my credit card unless there is good incentive not to (such as a cash discount). It's more convenient and in most cases quicker since the cashier doesn't have to count the money I give them, calculate the change and then count it back to me.

It's also worth noting that handling cash (vs being credit or debit only) comes with its own costs as well. Sorting and counting the money, rolling the change so the bank will take it, making sure you have enough of each bill and coin to stock the register properly so you can give change, taking the money to the bank, the risk of it getting lost or stolen, the risk of employees doing "pocket transactions", etc, all add up to what can become a pretty significant cost of accepting cash.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Bad rant. you should always have at least a little cash on you. $40+ is ok $100+ is better. The place could lose internet (or have busted cc/pos terminals) and people will still sell you shit if you have cash.

ETA: The only time "cash only" bugs me is restaurants that serve booze and are above dive level, because it's much easier to deal with a card at dinner, especially if you're treating people and the meal costs more than your cash reserve.....

-Mike

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As stated above: cash is king.

Who is old enough to remember these as the only option if you wanted to charge? No instantaneous check, you had it or you didn't. Your wife most likely did not. This is when the bank owned your card and they would ask for them back if you tried to use them without funds.

A couple years ago, I can't remember where I was, but their internet went down and I saw them drag one of these puppies out. I paid cash, so I didn't care, but man did it really take me back!

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Are these cash only businesses avoiding CC charges or evading taxes? Both? I don’t necessarily have a problem with either but have always sort of figured it was mostly a tax thing.
No it's avoiding the CC processor rape machine. Every transaction with a card is "but it was just the tip". Accepting CC/Debit is a "necessary nuisance" problem like scratch tickets at liquor stores. No retailer would ever do it by choice, they do it because many will lose business if they didn't have it.

CC processors and CC banks etc have a business model that bill cosby is envious of in terms of the rape going on....

-Mikr

Top Bottom