Cash only Rant *Updated*

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
What does the law say?
I *believe* that any business offering a product or service marked for sale/lease in USD, MUST take actual USD for the sale/lease. Can't remember where I heard this as I take many classes and have sat through much in regards to consumer law.

Reactions: AHM

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Should have pocketed the real 50 and paid for the bill with counterfeit 20's.

I was in NH prior to 9-11. went into a small variety store and the arabic speaking person behind the counter was on a cell phone. He turned his back on me and continued his conversation for a few minutes as I just steamed up. I swear to this day that guy was Mohamed Atta as best I can recall his face. It was 15 minutes to the next store and all I wanted was a pack of Winstons so I waited.

He eventually turned to me and asked what I wanted, told him a pack of winstons, he said there are none in the rack. I asked him if he had any out back and he was pissed and said he would go look. On the counter was one of those pens that checked bills for counterfeit. I had a black marker in my shirt pocket that was identical. I swapped pens. I paid for the smokes with singles and left, knowing that every bill he checked with that pen for the rest of the day would show as phoney.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
day would show as phoney
LMAO.

There was a case where a crook gave stores free samples of counterfeit pens, saying he would be back to sell them more if they liked them. The only thing is they showed every bill a genuine. Once the pens were in place, his team came in for some heavy duty counterfeit passing.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If there is an ATM or other POS system-down situation (insert multiple causes here) and a card cannot be processed
Bingo. And many places will refuse checks since they cannot be cleared against their chain's bad check passed list or third party check service. Unless, of course, EBT cards are down and then the stores will make accommodations to avoid being denounced as racist.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I *believe* that any business offering a product or service marked for sale/lease in USD, MUST take actual USD for the sale/lease. Can't remember where I heard this as I take many classes and have sat through much in regards to consumer law.
Wikipedia: Legal Tender: United States
Contrary to common misconception, there is no federal law stating that a private business, a person, or a government organization must accept currency or coins for payment. Private businesses are free to create their own policies on whether they accept cash, unless there is a specific state law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in cents or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores, and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency as a matter of policy or safety.

The principal purpose of that statute is to ensure the nationwide acceptance of U.S. currency, consistent with constitutional language that reserves to Congress the power to create a uniform currency that holds the same value throughout the United States. While the statute provides that U.S. money is legal tender that may be accepted for the payment of debts, it does not require acceptance of cash payments, nor does it provide that restrictions cannot be imposed upon the acceptance of cash.​

Top Bottom