Cash only Rant *Updated*

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think some people overlook the importance of cash. As each year passes, fewer people use cash. Soon, maybe sooner than we think, there will be no cash. What the big deal, you say? CCs are so convenient!

NIRP is coming. Negative interest rates. Can’t have negative interest rates if there is cash available. Otherwise bank accounts will get cleaned out and mattresses will be getting stuffed. NIRP is another nefarious money looting scheme but that’s a whole other thread.

We can also get all tinfoily about the government tracking our every move, restricting what can be bought and sold (guns anyone?). It is not tinfoiley at all.

Further, when a democrat gets to be president, tyranny will follow. If they don’t like you? Shut off your card. Shut off your bank. Shut off your direct deposit.

All these things are coming.

Cash is King! Cash is Freedom!

Was at the local hardware store last week. Paid with cash. Came to 9.01. Owner said we’ll let the penny slide. Guy behind me says “who uses cash these days! I never use cash.” He doesn’t use cash because he doesn’t understand. I didn’t have time to explain.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I think some people overlook the importance of cash. As each year passes, fewer people use cash. Soon, maybe sooner than we think, there will be no cash. What the big deal, you say? CCs are so convenient!

NIRP is coming. Negative interest rates. Can’t have negative interest rates if there is cash available. Otherwise bank accounts will get cleaned out and mattresses will be getting stuffed. NIRP is another nefarious money looting scheme but that’s a whole other thread.

We can also get all tinfoily about the government tracking our every move, restricting what can be bought and sold (guns anyone?). It is not tinfoiley at all.

Further, when a democrat gets to be president, tyranny will follow. If they don’t like you? Shut off your card. Shut off your bank. Shut off your direct deposit.

All these things are coming.

Cash is King! Cash is Freedom!

Was at the local hardware store last week. Paid with cash. Came to 9.01. Owner said we’ll let the penny slide. Guy behind me says “who uses cash these days! I never use cash.” He doesn’t use cash because he doesn’t understand. I didn’t have time to explain.
Exactly the reason why I try to accumulate as much cash as I can, I’ve earned about $3000 since I’ve been using my CC’s for 95% of my purchases and that earned money is working for me. Earn it while you can! That Cash is king is definitely true but not when it comes to using it every time you buy something, It’s really not and anyone that promotes that is a fool

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
She is a master barber and does it right. Straight razor, hot towel and she is fast.
She's doing it right, service and speed. My guy doesn't do anywhere near that volume and he's slow as shit, I have tried to tell him that in this day and age people want to get in and get out fast, they don't want to hear him yammer and take his time. He insists that is part of the experience. I have been going to him for about 15 years, mostly because he's next door so I can look out the window and go any time he doesn't have people there. I have been going to him since he bought the previous owner out, the old guy could have six guys in the waiting area and still get to you very quickly - he was all business. With this guy it's a half hour wait if he has two people waiting. I know a lot of people who avoid the place because it's a black hole time-wise, plus the guy is a bit abrasive. It's too bad, because I see the potential in the place if managed properly. If it wasn't for the convenience, I'd go elsewhere.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cash is probable cause of criminal activity and subject to forfeiture
I know. 3 felonies a day. More if I can find the time.

A quote from the guy who wrote book.

“I would imagine that lawyers, accountants, and securities dealers commit more, while fruit-stand vendors commit fewer. But my point was that an active member of our society goes about his or her busy workday not realizing the potential for committing arguable federal felonies in a wide variety of business and personal endeavors on a typical day.”

So, you’re suspect.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omnibus Reply Alert

Forgot I started this thread. On Saturday I just used $307 in cash back rewards to wipe out my balance on my TD Bank Card.
What drives me up the wall is the Eternal Tension between
me getting a lame 1% Cashback by using our REI credit card,
and The Bride putting away Pennies in Scrooge McDuck's coin purse
by using her Disney charge card,
where the cash back can be used to buy cocktails on cruise ships
(if and only if the ship's whistle can play When You Wish Upon A Star).

When I was a boy, we'd go to Stan's in Mansfield. Back when Stan was alive. And young. His sons were in HS and College back then I think. That's 40+ years ago and it was probably $5 for a haircut.

But I’m still trying to find the logic behind some of the bullshit thrown at me this thread, I don’t think I will.
As Rodney King might say to try and bring us all together...
...the main distinction is probably the difference between
you making short-term microeconomically valid decisions,
and other some folks saying that If Only a critical mass of people
made long-term macroeconomically valid decisions,
society would enter broad sunlit uplands and pay less for stuff.

Most places I've seen that are cash only mysteriously have an ATM on premises. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! I laugh and laugh and laugh. (Case in point - The Lynwood.)
Please someone tell me this establishment (in Randolph?) actually has good food?

Although, their logo says to me that only 1/12th of their reputation is based on their food.
(At least it's a "pie" chart, LOL).

Even at higher levels and in bigger businesses CC fees and overhead are a huge rape machine- look at what Cumbys does with SmartPay as an example of this.... would they go through that much trouble to run their own service to direct draw cash from people's checking acct. if there wasn't a huge savings involved?

there's no reason in 2019 why consumers and vendors should (effectively) be getting tuned up like 6% or whatever it is just so someone can use a plastic card to buy something, particularly when we're talking about an in person purchase on something small in value that the CC co will never have to absorb a fraud claim or anything on....
The credit card companies have to price in the risk of a cardholder
racking up a huge balance and going bankrupt.

It's all fun and games until the customer becomes judgement-proof on their dime.

If I can take 3% cash back on a $15 dollar margarita my girlfriend drinks then bet your ass I’m going to take it.
You'll make it up on volume.

Case in point on cash discounts. I pulled into a Mobil station that advertised a decent gas price (the word "cash" on the sign wasn't easily read from the street)
When is it ever not the cash price?
Also...

MGL Ch. 94 §295C: Display of price of motor fuel on dispensing devices
A retail dealer of motor fuel shall publicly display and maintain on each pump or other dispensing device from which motor fuel is sold by him, at least 1 sign, clearly visible, stating the price per gallon of each grade of motor fuel sold from the pump or device. A sign shall be not less than 8 inches by 10 inches in size. The price shown on a sign shall include all taxes imposed with respect to the manufacture or sale of the motor fuel sold at that pump or device and shall contain either a statement of the taxes included in the price or, without specifying the amount of the taxes, shall state that such taxes are included in the price. All figures, including fractions, on a sign, other than figures and fractions used in a price computing mechanism and constituting a part of a pump or dispensing device, shall be the same size.

No sign, advertising material or other display or product that is placed upon, above or around a pump or dispenser shall directly or indirectly obscure the posted price sign as required by the preceding paragraph.​
When I got to the pump the instructions said that to get that price I had to go inside the store, pre-pay with cash (after standing in line), go pump my gas, then go back to stand in line again to get my change with the 10cent/gallon discount. I just drove off and never gassed up there ever.
Standing in line: behind cash register scratch ticket campers?

I replaced the windshield in a Corolla last week. The bill came to $279. When I dropped it off, I asked if they gave a cash discount. They said the cash price was $242.

I paid cash.
We leaned against the bar. "Whiskey sour," the big man said. "Call yours."
"Whiskey sour," I said.
We had whiskey sours.​

Most of those gas stations that are that screwy are probably money laundering fronts anyways. It's pretty obvious looking at them that a lot of them don't even
want to sell gas. Some of the ones in the 93 belt region are pretty obvious too... you drive by, and there might be like, one car, at the most, buying gas... and the prices
are usually worse than everyone elses, etc.
Howie Carr speaks of numbers joints in Boston that looked like convenience stores,
but only had one small stack of dusty cans of tomato (soup?) on the shelf.

I'm well aware of that in the "here and now" sense, a few thousand luddites not using plastic doesn't do a thing. You don't have to tell me that. That's not really
what I'm getting at. What I'm talking about is this idea that people should actually be aware of where their money actually goes when they buy shit, and that not all of it
is going to the vendor when you use plastic.
Dave Ramsey would say that the bigger sea change would come from people using
cash or debit cards because of their ensuing change in brain chemistry
that makes you stop pissing away money on stuff you don't need.

(Mind you; me, I piss away money on stuff I don't need.
I'm jus' sayin'...).

If people are going into hock by the boatload
because they don't understand that
they are supposed to pay their credit card bills some day,
then NFW are they going to get some epiphany
about supporting Mom and Pop stores via payment schemes
that skim a smaller piece of vigorish.

Lol, so you really think that if tons of people told the processors/banks to f*** off somehow, say through the use of an alternative technology, nothing would
change? I find that assertion laughable.
Most people think that the origin of "CHOAM" in Dune
is the acronym Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles.
Nope, CHOAM is actually one of those quaint misspellings
that crept in over the millennia, like Bela Tegeuse for Betelgeuse.

This entire problem I'm talking about, was why a whole bunch of technophiles and geeks were practically jerking off over the prospect of Shitcoin.
Just one of the many negative externalities of cryptocurrency is being subjected to
tedious Bitcoin Embassy ads on WKBK-AM Keene during the Howie Carr Show.

He was referring to an ATM in those weird restaurants that are cash only but yet have an ATM in the lobby, and then they put a rape fee on it.... [rofl] because they know desperate people who want to eat there will just suck it up and pay it...
No one said you had to eat at the Tap Room.
Plenty of other places to choose from.

Everything else, I choose better quality product and cook better than a restaurant.
Spoken like The Bride's mother.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Guy behind you would have gotten a long dirty look from me. I dont mind cash or CC users, but I am bothered by opinionated DBags.

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
My barber does about 40 haircuts a day 5 days a week, at an average of $20 per cut. She charges $17 for a haircut. Most people drop a $20 and walk. Many of her regulars drop $25. At Christmas everyone throws her a tip. Most drop a $50. She takes 2 weeks off a year. Her chair is never empty and thankfully she only does walk ins 2 days a week. Even with the occasional cancellation etc. she is cranking out 175 haircuts a week @ $20 each. That's $3500 per week x 50 weeks = $175,000.00. Rent and electricity, and supplies etc. is probably $2k per month.
She is a master barber and does it right. Straight razor, hot towel and she is fast.
I get my haircut, every week at 11:15 am on Friday, and I see the same guys there every week and her appointment book is always full.
You get your haircut once a week?

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You get your haircut once a week?
Yes Sir. Every Friday at 11:15.
Been getting a haircut every week most of my life. I keep the sides down to the skin and hate it when it gets fuzzy. At 51 I still have a full head of hair and envy the guys who have gone mostly bald. I would love to be able to go right up and over the dome while shaving every morning. And I shave every day including Sundays. I guess I am a little OCD about it.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
She's doing it right, service and speed. My guy doesn't do anywhere near that volume and he's slow as shit, I have tried to tell him that in this day and age people want to get in and get out fast, they don't want to hear him yammer and take his time. He insists that is part of the experience. I have been going to him for about 15 years, mostly because he's next door so I can look out the window and go any time he doesn't have people there. I have been going to him since he bought the previous owner out, the old guy could have six guys in the waiting area and still get to you very quickly - he was all business. With this guy it's a half hour wait if he has two people waiting. I know a lot of people who avoid the place because it's a black hole time-wise, plus the guy is a bit abrasive. It's too bad, because I see the potential in the place if managed properly. If it wasn't for the convenience, I'd go elsewhere.
Takes her 15 minutes and my hair cut is a pain in the ass. And the funny thing is, you never feel rushed and she never does a lousy job. Truly professional. She is also attractive, but she is married with two teenage boys and all of her customers are very respectful. She told me that she has only had one customer that was a creep and tried to hit on her.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thats funny you posted this because My girlfriends daughter who is 13 and ridiculously smart, like handpicked to go to Brewster Academy for free smart has no clue what I mean when I say quarter of or quarter past. It confuses me why she don’t understand that
Kids don't know what kids aren't taught.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Kids don't know what kids aren't taught.
Very fair point. I just never really thought of it, since she got handpicked from her school and received a $7000 grant for a leadership program to go to Brewster Academy this past Summer for her high school equivalent classes she gets A’s on I figured she had it covered lol

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Takes her 15 minutes and my hair cut is a pain in the ass. And the funny thing is, you never feel rushed and she never does a lousy job. Truly professional. She is also attractive, but she is married with two teenage boys and all of her customers are very respectful. She told me that she has only had one customer that was a creep and tried to hit on her.
[pics]

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When I lived in Jersey I went to a place where the women hair cutters were sweet, had big hair, long nails and you usually got a boob in your ear or on your shoulder at some point. Was far more enjoyable than my barber and they gave a nice, quick cut too. He laments the new local big boobie men’s chain haircut place in the strip mall that’s open Sundays and Mondays. If he wasn’t so damn convenient I’d probably be going to them.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
MGL Ch. 94 §295C:
Yea, but the sign with the big numbers on it, just below the business name and nowhere near the pump, shows the discount price if you have the card for the fuel that they give you on application. The sign does change to the actual cash price, but it always seems to be on the discount price when I look at it. Irving gas, advertises their actual pump price and when you use their card, you get 10 cents off per gallon from the big sign price. Costs nothing, and all you have to do is apply. Use your credit card, get cash back and with the Irving card 10 cents off to boot.

Reactions: AHM

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yea, but the sign with the big numbers on it, just below the business name and nowhere near the pump, shows the discount price if you have the card for the fuel that they give you on application. The sign does change to the actual cash price, but it always seems to be on the discount price when I look at it. Irving gas, advertises their actual pump price and when you use their card, you get 10 cents off per gallon from the big sign price. Costs nothing, and all you have to do is apply. Use your credit card, get cash back and with the Irving card 10 cents off to boot.
Thanks for the info, I usually go to Cumby's for the 10 cents off but that hits my checking account, not my credit card. If Irving is competitive w/ Cumby's and I can use my CC and get triple points, I may switch.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
We have a growing number of the population that can't read or write cursive, can't tell time on an analog clock and most certainly can't count change. Couple that with a compulsive need for instant gratification and even Helen Keller can see that credit cards aren't going anywhere.
f*** yeah I found it. Damn NES, you are predictable.

Hello Gentlemen, my names Dench. Aka Denchypoo. As one of the few female posters here on NES I bring a slick angle to all the neck beard cliche baby boomer conversations that go on here. Just so we all know, the Boomers were actually confirmed by Our Lord and Savoir, Jesus H Christ, as the worst generation in the entire universes history.

Now that we've moved on from the hard truths we can talk real talk. Big boy speak. Big girl? Whatever. You see gentlemen, the CC scheme is a game. And if youre a retarded baby boomer this is already probably to complicated. CC fees? Wat? where?

This is what you do. You go out and you find the most asinine credit card with the highest fees possible. $500 yearly? Yes, sign me the f*** up. But wait. You should probably read why it's $500 in the 1st place. These cards have benefits, which is a word that means stuff. And this stuff comes with the card, which again, has fees. Now, my math levels are about 3rd grade so by the time I'm done figuring out if I'll use more of the benefits than the card costs me.. wait what was I talking about again?

Anyway, ol' (young?) Dench hasnt paid to fly in years. years I tell you. I'm at the point now where I'm flying toddlers in 1st class just to jam it up the ass of old rich people. f*** yeah my kids out of control. And no sir I have no idea how to write cursive anymore. WTF am I? a pirate? Jesus Christ.

CC's are what you make them. And what I do, and what I am majorly good at doing is a thingadoodle called "churning." Which is when you scope out high fee CC's, earn the bonus, spend it and dump that card like the bitch it is. I probably go through 5-7 cards a year like this. My boyfriend goes through about 4 on average. "but Dench!" you shout from your chair with your disgusting out of shape fat gross baby boomer body shuddering, "what about your credit score?!" It's like 810 or some shit.

Badda bing, you dummies.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
f*** yeah I found it. Damn NES, you are predictable.

Hello Gentlemen, my names Dench. Aka Denchypoo. As one of the few female posters here on NES I bring a slick angle to all the neck beard cliche baby boomer conversations that go on here. Just so we all know, the Boomers were actually confirmed by Our Lord and Savoir, Jesus H Christ, as the worst generation in the entire universes history.

Now that we've moved on from the hard truths we can talk real talk. Big boy speak. Big girl? Whatever. You see gentlemen, the CC scheme is a game. And if youre a retarded baby boomer this is already probably to complicated. CC fees? Wat? where?

This is what you do. You go out and you find the most asinine credit card with the highest fees possible. $500 yearly? Yes, sign me the f*** up. But wait. You should probably read why it's $500 in the 1st place. These cards have benefits, which is a word that means stuff. And this stuff comes with the card, which again, has fees. Now, my math levels are about 3rd grade so by the time I'm done figuring out if I'll use more of the benefits than the card costs me.. wait what was I talking about again?

Anyway, ol' (young?) Dench hasnt paid to fly in years. years I tell you. I'm at the point now where I'm flying toddlers in 1st class just to jam it up the ass of old rich people. f*** yeah my kids out of control. And no sir I have no idea how to write cursive anymore. WTF am I? a pirate? Jesus Christ.

CC's are what you make them. And what I do, and what I am majorly good at doing is a thingadoodle called "churning." Which is when you scope out high fee CC's, earn the bonus, spend it and dump that card like the bitch it is. I probably go through 5-7 cards a year like this. My boyfriend goes through about 4 on average. "but Dench!" you shout from your chair with your disgusting out of shape fat gross baby boomer body shuddering, "what about your credit score?!" It's like 810 or some shit.

Badda bing, you dummies.

LOL. I don't pay any fees for my credit cards. Never pay interest. CC companies hate me. I actually have been dumped because I don't use their cards. But yeah, if you want a higher "credit score" you have lots of credit available and use very little of it. Then they all want you to have their card until they learn you will never use it and they won't make any money off you. We keep a could cards just as "backup."

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dench is a female?
I never knew that.

Anyways, old lady of the board, you missed the point. These youngins' want to cash in on the cash back, they say its worth it.

I'm old school, credit when needed, mostly cash/debit. I often ask people if they take this "green paper stuff", they usually get my joke.
Credit score: 870 or some shit, never ever bothered to take care of it, just pay my bills.

Top Bottom