1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Cash only Rant *Updated*

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SHOCKNAWE, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I haven't met any private sellers that take CC.

When buying or selling guns here, it never crossed my mind to pay with a CC and no one ever offered to pay me with a CC.

I always assumed this was aimed at business transactions.

2. Old Toad

Old Toad NES Member

Cash guy here. Can't even conceive why someone would pay for a coffee with plastic. Thirty years in business. Accept paypal for deposit, PP or cash for the balance. No plastic. No personal checks.

3. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

I live in SouthEast Georgia, except for the summer. That's prime hurricane territory. Last year, when I left CT to go home in October, I drove through hurricane Michael. When I got home, trees were down and power was out in a good portion of my county.

I have pre-cut marked plywood, a generator, gasoline, at least a month's worth of food and water on the shelves.

I also have cash on hand - because when the power goes out - ATMs go out, cash registers go out. People will still do business - for CASH. We had power restored within 24 hours. Some areas didn't have power for three weeks.

When my wife was negotiating for a whole-house water filtering system, she asked the rep what kind of discount she could get for cash. He had to call his manager - nobody had asked him that before. The system was something like 5K, and apparently most people either wrote a check or put it on their credit card. She got a 10% discount.

Cash is useful.

4. teaser452

teaser452

True story. Next time you need work done on your house, and you get a quote, ask what the cash price is. You might be surprised.

Buddy of mine works in ‘construction’. Had a residential job for 80k. Customer asks him if he can get a discount by paying cash. Buddy says sure. 65k if in cash. Deal made.

Guy pays cash at each phase of the job. Job is finished. Guy says ok, so what’s the balance. Buddy says $6500. Guy says ‘ok, let me get my checkbook’. Buddy says ok, but then it’ll be $21500. Guy says ‘why?’ Buddy says, ‘cash, remember?’ Guy remembers and says, ‘ah!’ Walks into the house and grabs the $6500.

The numbers are ball park. It was 3,years ago. It was a job approaching 100k. Customer was a lawyer and wife was a doctor. Wife was pissed about the cash. Lawyer was perfectly fine with it.

Saved everyone a ton of money.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  5. teaser452

teaser452

Also true story.

I live on the coast where Hurricane Florence came in point blank. No power for 10 days or so.

Cash still bought things. Credit was no bueno.

Jason Flare likes this.
  6. Sparkey

Sparkey NES Member

When people ask me what about cash I tell them that is the cash price.

millbilly likes this.
  7. teaser452

teaser452

Oh. You don’t want to hire my buddy at his regular rate. He does fantastic work. But you’re going to pay for it. He’s the highest. His competitors hate him. But if you want it done right, and you want it to look good and last, you call him.

He gives cash discounts. For obvious reasons.

The5thDentist likes this.
  8. richc

richc NES Member

Well, except the US Government...

:)

9. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

No one is talking about never using cash or never having cash, and no one is talking about natural disasters.

Of course having cash is a good thing for emergencies, or a parking meter...everyone gets that.

This all started with businesses and using CC at a business.

The way this is going we might as well say that cash and CC are useless. I only keep gold and ammo because when the SHTF CC wont work and cash will be worthless.

RumRunner likes this.
  10. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

Sit in the exit row. Free booze [at least on American].

11. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Exactly, I keep cash on hand all the time, for either emergencies or for when I want to buy from a private party. As already mentioned, I assume private parties would always be cash. But I'm not going to use cash all the time and miss out on points and/or cash back I get on cards. I pay all the bills I can and use them at any established store or restaurant. Of course online purchases too.

12. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Surprised my painting contractor on a 5K job. I paid in cash, he was astounded. He offered to come back in the next summer and touch the job up. He did, repainted the rear decks and the front and rear steps for free. He said, "Call me when you need work, you are top of the list."

Jason Flare, KBCraig and andrew1220 like this.
  13. rep308

rep308 NES Member

I paid cash for a home remodeling project. My wife asked me "Does he pay taxes on that money?" I replied "that's between him, God and the IRS and none of my business".

14. Dench

Dench

No, I'm talking about every day purchases. Not occasional face to face.

15. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

That's another thing - I generally pay bar/hotel/restaurant tabs with a debit/credit card and tip in cash. What the server declares or doesn't declare is their business, not mine.

KBCraig, drgelinas, OnTheRoad and 2 others like this.
  16. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

I guess that we know by now that laws mean nothing. As long as you don't hurt anyone or steal from them, pay no nevermind to the "laws". Jack.

17. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

Cash is king. Whenever I have some big project done (home repairs, service. etc.), I always ask if there's a cash discount and they always say 'yes'.

18. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    I stopped tipping in cash when I learned that the bar/hotel/restaurant must make up the employee's pay if they earn less than the actual minimum wage. If the employee pockets the cash and doesn't tell the employer, the employer may end up paying him or her additional to make up for the shortfall below minimum.

I don't care if they don't pay taxes, but I'm not going to inconvenience myself so they can. I pay the bill and the tip using the same method.

HOWEVER, I'm currently walking around with a fat stack to pay my motorcycle mechanic.

19. AHM

AHM NES Member

I've got a friend that would tune up especially annoying Radio Shack managers
    by paying with Amex. She said you could tell which ones were the smart ones
    because their faces fell when they saw the card.

Many kinds of businesses accept credit cards
    solely because of all of the bad checks
    that their deadbeat customers write.

Prime example: veterinarians.

I'm starting to see ATMs that will print C-notes.
    There's a lot of bandwidth in a C-note.

Didn't the tassel on your avatar's fez used to have gold fringe?

(Before my time) someone at the monthly pre-ACM SICPLAN dinner
    at Joyce Chen's/Cambridge volunteered to put the dinner tab on his credit card.
    Everyone threw $20's at him like he was pole dancing,
    the restaurant ran his card through the embossing machine,
    and they all decamped to Intermetrics or BB&N for the night's speaker.

Months go by and the charge never appeared on his credit card account statement.

The restaurant lost the paperwork.

After that, one of the other guys always volunteered to put it on his credit card,
    in case lightning struck again...

I hear it's illegal.

202 CMR 2.06: Advertising and Sale of Motor Fuel and Lubricating Oil at Retail
    Every advertisement and sale of motor fuel and lubricating oil at retail shall be in full compliance
    with 202 CMR 2.06 on or before January 1, 2010.
    (1) The Display of Price Advertising Signs.
    Each pump or other dispensing device, including computing pumps, from which motor fuel is sold at retail shall have attached or affixed atop the dispenser at least one sign for each grade being dispensed therefrom of weatherproof material in a plain and conspicuous position showing the price per gallon of motor fuel sold therefrom. Each face of said sign shall be deemed one sign. In addition, if a discount is offered for cash sales the words “cash” shall be included in the applicable portion of the sign. When “cash” sales and other types of sales are made from the same dispenser both prices shall be posted and clearly labeled with the type of sale the price refers, i.e. “cash”, “credit”, “credit/debit” or the condition of sale required for the non-cash price posted in print no smaller than ¾ of an inch in height.
    (b) Each and all of the letters, figures or numerals of such sign shall be plainly legible, and shall be
    of the same type and design. All printed signs shall be black lettering and figures imposed on a
    white background or white lettering and figures imposed on a black background. Electronic signs
    shall be of contrasting colors between the lettering and the background, shall include no wording
    or figures other than those required by 202 CMR 2.06(1) and (2), and said lettering and figures
    shall be clearly visible both day and night.
    (c) All figures or numerals on each sign shall be at least four inches high and all lines or marks used
    in the making of such figures or numerals shall be at least X(?) - inch in width and the over-all heightof any figure or numeral, except the figure one, shall not be greater than three times the over-all width of such figure or numeral. Minimum size of the sign including the frame must be no less than eight inches in height and ten inches in length.
    Said sign or signs shall be placed in a plain and conspicuous position so as to be easily visible from
    any position a customer may reasonably be expected to assume. If service of motor fuel may be made from more than one side of such dispensing device, signs shall be placed so as to be visible from both service sides of such device.​

Rumor has it that residents of Chelmsford get no respect from Jewish folklorists.

That could be one of my mother's cats -
    except they'd have been on the other end of the leash,
    dragging her all over the front yard.

20. AHM

AHM NES Member

From Motley Fool: The Ascent:
    This Is How Credit Card Companies Hauled in $163 Billion in 2016

Interest
    $63.4B 38.8%​
    Merchant fees
    $42.4B 26.0%​
    Cash advance fees
    $26.6B 16.3%​
    Annual fees
    $12.5B 7.7%​
    Penalty fees
    $12.0B 7.4%​
    Extra services
    $ 6.3B 3.9%​

So they make 74% of their revenue from Other People.
    (Our card has no annual fee, and we pay it off every month).

21. yogi

yogi NES Member

The last few times I was at Cumberland Farms to get a coffee I paid cash. It rings up to $1.05 and each time they told me they had the nickel so it only cost me a $1. I have no idea why that still makes me all tingly inside. I pay cash for all big ticket items as long as I get a discount which at times has been substantial. But we are living in a digital world.

22. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

AHM wins the internet today [rofl][rofl]

AHM likes this.
  23. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

This is why the government is trying very hard to eliminate cash.

Jason Flare likes this.
  24. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Not only are you saving money, you're starving the government beast, which wants to grow and consume all.

25. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Another true story:

Day after Christmas, 2000. I lived in Texarkana, epicenter of the ArkLaTex ice storm. I was without power for 14 days. A couple of weeks before the storm, I had just bought a Craftsman (Poulan-manufactured) chainsaw. (DON'T JUDGE ME!) I was wearing it out with the other men in my church, going around and cutting people out 8+ hours a day.

Poulan had plants in De Queen and Nashville (both about 60 miles away in southwest Arkansas). Their towns were hit too, but they came to Texarkana and set up in various parking lots, with truckloads of refurb and new saws, bars, and chains. Oh, and bar oil and 2-stroke oil too, and accessories like files.

There was no such thing as mobile payment then, but it didn't really matter since the cell tower backup generators had run out of fuel.

No surcharge, cash only. God bless 'em.

SERE and Jason Flare like this.
  26. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

I always tip in cash, but I make sure to write "CASH" on the tip line, instead of "0.00", because I don't want someone posting my receipt as an example of a deadbeat.

Likelihood of that happening is near zero, unless you're in a state that requires tipped employees to make at least the same as non-tipped minimum wage.

When I managed a full service restaurant, wait staff made more per hour than I did.

AHM, Jason Flare and Grendizer138 like this.
  27. rep308

rep308 NES Member

28. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I'm sure that the IRS and DOR will be greatly impressed by that . . . NOT!

I read not long ago that the IRS calculates what they THINK a waiter/waitress should be making in tips and expects that amount or more to be declared. If it isn't then they assess it and expect taxes on that amount! Not my field of interest (I put all restaurant bills on cc with tip added), so I haven't done any research on this, and don't intend to either.

AHM, buckfarack and andrew1220 like this.
  29. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

$14,000 per year? Bullshit. Cash. Jack.

Grendizer138 likes this.
  30. Mr.E

Mr.E

that one is probably more due to keeping the earnings "off the books" though (or else the check would have been sufficient). Smaller business don't like CC's because of the ~2% fee placed on it.