Cash only Rant *Updated*

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I cannot stand businesses that only accept cash, I walked into a coffee donut shop today out of town visiting a friend and I order a Coffee and muffin and when I go to pay with my CC the girl says “ we actually don’t accept that, it’s cash only” So I tell her she can actually take the order back since I don’t have cash and I’m not paying a $3 ATM fee for a $6 order. Now I got no problems with a place that advertises on their door saying “Cash Only” and I understand small business owners not wanting to pay the fees associated with CC but It is beyond me how business can expect anyone to not use CC nowadays, I operate with 2 CC’s that give me a shit ton of money BACK for using the card, my TD Bank CC took $200 OFF the first $500 I spent and gives me 3% back on restaurants, 2% back on Grocery store. My Capital zone gives me 1.5% back on EVERY purchase. I’ve gotten al it’s a $1000 cash back in the past year from using CC. Anyone else pretty much CC only?

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I cannot stand businesses that only accept cash, I walked into a coffee donut shop today out of town visiting a friend and I order a Coffee and muffin and when I go to pay with my CC the girl says “ we actually don’t accept that, it’s cash only” So I tell her she can actually take the order back since I don’t have cash and I’m not paying a $3 ATM fee for a $6 order. Now I got no problems with a place that advertises on their door saying “Cash Only” and I understand small business owners not wanting to pay the fees associated with CC but It is beyond me how business can expect anyone to not use CC nowadays, I operate with 2 CC’s that give me a shit ton of money BACK for using the card, my TD Bank CC took $200 OFF the first $500 I spent and gives me 3% back on restaurants, 2% back on Grocery store. My Capital zone gives me 1.5% back on EVERY purchase. I’ve gotten al it’s a $1000 cash back in the past year from using CC. Anyone else pretty much CC only?
I'm about 95% card only. I usually keep +- $10 in my wallet for tips, random donations, incidentals, unless I am on vacation or going to a match, or something specific. It irritates my mother who says I should always about at least $50 or so in case of emergencies.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Have to agree. If they don't take CCs then they should have a big sign on the front door saying so. Mom and Pop places I can understand but let people know. For me I get annoyed with retail locations that don't take American Express. I use mine for all purchases as I rack up some good points with their Maximum Rewards Gold Card. I've paid for two vacations using points so for me the yearly fee is worth it.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
If only there were some other location nearby at which you could choose to use a CC to purchase coffee and donuts. Perhaps a massive regional conglomerate with huge market saturation, a business that everybody knows and is familiar with.

If only.

Seems a business like that would be a slam-DUNK. I wonder why nobody’s thought of it.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If only there were some other location nearby at which you could choose to use a CC to purchase coffee and donuts. Perhaps a massive regional conglomerate with huge market saturation, a business that everybody knows and is familiar with.

If only.

Seems a business like that would be a slam-DUNK. I wonder why nobody’s thought of it.

I see what you DDid there.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm just the opposite, my motto is "Cash has No Enemies, So Let's Be Friends".
I don't have a debit or ATM card and I hate it when paying cash is NOT an option.
Here are a few examples, the last time I flew, I wanted to check my bag curbside with the Skycap, but they don't accept cash, sorry, I'm not going to pull out a credit card for $2.00. Then there's those new parking meters that don't take coins either, friggin' piss me off. I get so annoyed when someone doesn't have $10 cash in their pocket, they swipe their card five times a day all over town, and wonder why their card numbers get hacked.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
lol, i don't think the small business owner gives a rats ass how much cash back you've gotten. this is as good a rant as the guy who won't piss in a cup to get a job.

whatta ya say guys, nes boycott of all businesses who won't accept cc's? [pot]

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm mostly CC for the points/cash back. But I also like to always have enough cash on me that I don't need a CC just in case. Also whenever I go into someplace that I don't know, especially smaller places, I always look on the door or by the register to make sure I see the CC stickers so I know they take cards. I will ask if I don't see them, but most places have them on the front door or on the register.

jct61765

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree. If they don't take CCs then they should have a big sign on the front door saying so. Mom and Pop places I can understand but let people know. For me I get annoyed with retail locations that don't take American Express. I use mine for all purchases as I rack up some good points with their Maximum Rewards Gold Card. I've paid for two vacations using points so for me the yearly fee is worth it.
How do we know there wasn't a sign?

45collector

NES Member
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I'm 50/50 I guess. I use my debit card a lot, but also will randomly have cash on me. Cash is so much quicker especially when you have exact change. In and out! ;)

jasonj84

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
The reverse of this is when I went to Starbucks. Had a new travel mug ($20+) and a $5 coffee. Tried to pay with a $50 and got the “we don’t Accept bills larger than $20”. What if I am buying $50 worth of shit?? WTF? had to pay with a credit card.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
0/10
Small businesses (all businesses) pay a TON of money in processing fees.
I think you just didn't see the sign, I find it very hard to believe it was not conspicuously posted.
I can't believe these stupid kids these days that put a coffee and a donut on a credit card...or debit card for that matter.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
0/10
Small businesses (all businesses) pay a TON of money in processing fees.
I think you just didn't see the sign, I find it very hard to believe it was not conspicuously posted.
I can't believe these stupid kids these days that put a coffee and a donut on a credit card...or debit card for that matter.
I’m 49 and can’t believe these stupid people that refuse to get cash back on purchases.

Supermoto

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I don't carry cash, I haven't been to an ATM in a couple years. I hate having coins in my pockets. I pay with my phone or watch if I can, otherwise it is credit card. If you want cash, I'm not buying what you are selling.

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I'm a cash guy. I always have a few hundred in my pocket. When I buy anything (of some value) I ask for a senior discount or a vet discount or a cash discount. Have saved a lot that way. Jack.
Me too. I use cash and only cash. Doesn't matter if it's a pack of gum or a used car. And I only accept cash in my side business.

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
As stated above: cash is king.

Who is old enough to remember these as the only option if you wanted to charge? No instantaneous check, you had it or you didn't. Your wife most likely did not. This is when the bank owned your card and they would ask for them back if you tried to use them without funds.

ETA:

Cartoon depicting a woman applying for a credit card at a bank following the passage of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act of 1974 (effective October 28, 1975), which prohibited discrimination for credit on the basis of sex and marital status.

upload_2019-7-6_17-42-48.png

Last edited:

slipknot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the cash back is just passed on in higher prices like a circle jerk

and ya, just because kids use a debit for a few dollars purchase does not make them stupid.

I don't use debit cards myself mostly for the reason Spanz stated, I carry cash and use CC for online or big stuff or work purchases

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I pay with CC prob 90% of the time but I do try to make sure I have at least $20-$40 in my wallet.

I second what Shocknawe said. The CC companies give you tons of money in rewards that it would be silly NOT to use them - especially if you make sure to pay it all off and not pay interest etc.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I always carry cash.

If there is an ATM or other POS system-down situation (insert multiple causes here) and a card cannot be processed =

You are SOL if you don't have cash on you.

Top Bottom