Case-XX Knife Thread.

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
Any Case XX lovers in here...?

I've been enjoying my Case Slimline-Trapper (barehead) as a gentleman's deep-pocket EDC backup for a year now and love it. Feels like butter in my pocket and sharp as hell...

iu
iu

*Not my knife or photos...

Details:

escription:
  • Tru-Sharp™ surgical stainless steel blades
  • Jigged Brown Synthetic Handle: This heavy-duty Brown Synthetic handle material is a poured, molded plastic known for it\'s toughness and fade resistance.
  • Clip:The Clip blade is extremely versatile — just the thing for those everyday tasks at work or around the house. With a sharp point for piercing, the shape allows for better control of the cutting edge.
  • Length: 4.13 inches closed and 2.3 ounces
  • Limited lifetime warranty
Specifications:
  • Model No.: 00135
  • Pattern: Slimline Trapper
  • Pattern Stamp: 61048 SS
  • Handle Material: Brown Synthetic
  • Handle Finish: Jigged
  • Blade Type: Clip
  • Blade Length (s): 3.25 in
  • Lock Type: Non-Locking (Slip Joint)
  • Blade Material: Tru-Sharp™ Stainless
  • Blade Finish: As-Ground
  • Closed Length: 4.125 in
  • Weight: 2.2 oz

Last edited:
I have my grandfather's 62048 which has a boat-load of patina. I'll try to remember to take some pictures to share. It sits on the shelf because I see my pocket knife as a tool, and I do terrible things to my tools.

Thought about picking up an identical new one to actually use though because they are pretty cool.

Gentlemen’s knife?
Yeah, "Barfly's Knife" didn't sound right... [smile]

I have my grandfather's 62048 which has a boat-load of patina
I love old knives. They look "Used", as they should. The replacement you buy and use, will be "sitting on the shelf" for your Grandkids to admire...

Very nice choice Jack. What scale/finish did you choose...?

iu

I kinda like the "barbed-wire" on the one above...

Definitely fills the hand.
iu

mr. enbloc, while not a "case lover" i do own 1 case, a case/carhartt wharncliffe mini trapper...3" blade with some type of synthetic jigged bone scales. i've posted about it when i got it. honestly, i bought it because i just like wharncliffe blades and they were closing the carhartt le out, the price was right, so... i'm a spyderco guy, have been for many years. i own their wharncliffe delica but that didn't do anything for me. and a delica is my edc knife.

this little case turned out to be a great buy for me with a bunch of uses. after over a year with it i use it every day. although no pocket clip, it seems to find it's way into a pocket and rides along with the delica daily. i'm fiddling with it now as i type. a cool blade. i wouldn't hesitate to buy another case if the occasion came up while knife shopping. i put a poached photo up to refresh your mind of what it looks like.
s-l1600.jpg

Very Nice! Wharncliffe blades make excellent EDCs. It is a great design for cutting and hole puncture. (like adding a hole to a leather belt)

Few of us ever have to stab or slice someone, though most people's EDCs are geared toward combative roles or a combination thereof. (most, not all)
Those who work with, and count on having a sharp implement on a daily basis for general purposes know the value of a good knife, or two... [smile]

My Case is my general purpose backup and I use it for opening shipping boxes and plastic bags, cutting twine and such, which can dull a blade quickly; this leaves my main blade 100% fresh and sharp for serious use and puts the wear and tear on my little pocket pal...

My Case is my general purpose backup and I use it for opening shipping boxes and plastic bags, cutting twine and such, which can dull a blade quickly; this leaves my main blade 100% fresh and sharp for serious use and puts the wear and tear on my little pocket pal...
right, exactly. i'd say most of the use for my case is opening mail, packages and slicing fruit. i forget what steel they use for my knife, i doubt it's anything exotic because of it's price point, but it takes an edge easy and holds it pretty well. i'll have to do some research and see what they used.

Most case pocket knives are Stainless Surgical Steel (their label, also called 'Tru-Sharp') and Chrome Vanadium. It will be stamped at the base of the blade, opposite side of the logo; as SS or CV.
~Matt

Case Tru-Sharp™ Stainless Steel (SS) A special high-carbon steel that helps the blades hold an edge longer than conventional steel. It also offers extraordinary blade strength and corrosion resistance.

Chrome Vanadium Blades (CV) - a special formula of alloyed cutlery steel known for its ease of re-sharpening.

Most case pocket knives are Stainless Surgical Steel
yep, that's what the factory nomenclature said when i looked. i'm impressed with it. it's seen some tough duty in between touch-ups along with getting soaked with fruit drippings. goes without saying, nothing worse than a dull blade. and damn, i hate fruit juice gumming up the pivot pin. break free is the little guys friend!

I "collect" Case knives. It started with the yellow derlin handled variety, Ive got about every model that can be had with the yellow derlin, now I'm onto amber bone, one of their most popular so I'll be on that one for some time. Case has been around for so long and with so many varieties and models of such they are easy to collect. Some collectors will collect a certain model, maybe a stockman, trapper, or canoe, while others collect a certain color of material, or a series.

Why didn’t I see this thread earlier? I have a few case. My original EDC was a 63032 I bought in Boston on a date with my now wife. Here’s another 63032 that I carry now as the blades on the old one were worn. I did have case replace the blades on it. I think it cost 15 dollars to replace all 3. E10DD46D-CDBF-47A3-8466-8F6C392237E3.jpeg9547841E-C09A-417B-A142-A6A495B00377.jpeg

Where can I get info on a Remington Bullet knife ? I think it is an 83vintage. To darn large for pocket carry.
Can you take a picture of it? If it is a newer Remington it is probably made by Camillus. Not worth as much as an older genuine Remington, but collectible and worth money, just the same. If you have the original box even better. Condition is also a factor.

Remington Knives.
Remington reentered the knife market in 1982, but in a manner very different from what the company had done in 1920. Instead of jumping into the knife lake fully clothed, the company very tentatively stuck a toe in the water. They did this by commissioning Camillus Cutlery Co. to make a single knife model that would bear the Remington trademark, along with the old bullet shield. This was the genesis of the modern Bullet Knife series. The 1982 Bullet Knife was a reproduction of the original R1123 trapper.

Maybe some of you guys can help. My grandfather , whom worked at Sears for decades, gave me knife back in the early 80s. I remember what it looked like but cant remember the brand. Anyhow, chances are he bought it from Sears. Anyone know what brands of knives they would have carried back then? I think it was a.double folder with tapered brass ends and a slight curve.

2+ years with my case XX carhartt warncliffe, the only case i own. not a fan of case really. i own this because i love warncliffe blades and at 2.5", the blade is perfect. a case xx needs a lot of blade attention if you use them regularly. i do use this often and it's carried daily along with my knife of choice, spyderco. i can get this blade scary razor sharp. since it's the height of macintosh apple season, i've cut, peeled and cored over a hundred so far. use it for prep work in the kitchen, open letters and packages and just admire the beauty of the blade. this carhartt promo knife was discontinued when i got it and i paid half the then retail price. here she is today.

case 2.jpg

Maybe some of you guys can help. My grandfather , whom worked at Sears for decades, gave me knife back in the early 80s. I remember what it looked like but cant remember the brand. Anyhow, chances are he bought it from Sears. Anyone know what brands of knives they would have carried back then? I think it was a.double folder with tapered brass ends and a slight curve.
So many... Case XX, Schrade, Camillus, Buck, Old Timer, Imperial... @Sterg has an excellent grasp on mid-to-late 20th Century pocket knives... I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

General Knife Related Forums - All About Pocket Knives

Also, he gave you a knife almost 40 years ago, and may have been 40-years old at the time. That's the thing about knives; Utilitarian and Family Heirloom at the same time,
That's why I carry a nice American-made Case XX in my pocket every day.
I'm not handing down a cheap Walmart pocket-clip folder down in My Family...

1603935362508.png

We didn't call them "EDC" back then, we just called them "pocket knife"...
~Enbloc

PS I worked for Sears & Roebucks back in 1981-82 on Plain St. in Lowell.

Last edited:
It sounds like you’re describing a trapper pattern. Schrade, or Schrade Walden made knives for Sears as well as Camillus. Do you have a picture of it? I could probably identify the brand if I saw it.

sears sold knives under the "craftsman" moniker. they were copies of buck knives. actually very well made, same tool steel and scale materials as buck. and brass bolsters, also. i had a 110 style craftsman i was issued on my job and had it for 20 years. every bit as good as a buck and i often wondered if they didn't make them for sears.

No pictures. I havent seen it in years and im not sure what actually happened to it. From what i remember, it had a Slight "s" shape , tapered ends, dark wood and brass , and i think a double folder.

My grandfather was a cool guy and i never realized that until he passed. From the Haleys Comet Swatch to the John Tomac handlebars for my mountain bike, he always gave incredibly thoughtful gifts.

The knife was a gift when i was maybe 7 or 8 and it came in a shoebox. I wasnt happy seeing the shoebox, but my eyes opened wide when i saw the knife inside.

Didnt mean to sidetrack the thread. After seeing the photos, knew id have to start the search.

codger64 said:
Other cutlery manufacturers also supplied Sears over the years, including Camillus. I have a jumbo trapper in jigged bone that came in a gold foil and blue velvet lined walnut presentation case made for Sears 100th anniversary - 1896 - 1986. I have seen Solingen, Germany knives with Sears labeling as well as Buck, Colonial, Victorinox, and Queen knives, among others.

Quoted from codger over at Bladeforums. Sears had quite a history of contract manufacturing. Enough to make their knives collectible in themselves.
4A524C34-B14B-4FC0-B56C-CBFAB8E8D374.png

Last edited:
Oh, I misread kope's post. I thought he was saying his Grandfather (who worked for Sears) gave him a knife; and not that the knife he gave him came from Sears...

Here we go. Case. Mini Copperlock in ebony. This was a Smokey Mountain Knife Works special. They had several done in ebony, I wished I had ordered them all.
A5527CB1-BB2C-4B06-9C47-A3C16C0A00BA.jpeg

@Sterg, Kudos on your most awesome and most welcomed additions to this thread. ~Enbloc

"Case XX, the Original, Gentleman's Pocket Knife..."

Back
Top Bottom