1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Case-XX Knife Thread.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by enbloc, May 2, 2019.

1. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Any Case XX lovers in here...?

I've been enjoying my Case Slimline-Trapper (barehead) as a gentleman's deep-pocket EDC backup for a year now and love it. Feels like butter in my pocket and sharp as hell...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    *Not my knife or photos...

Details:

escription:
    • Tru-Sharp™ surgical stainless steel blades
    • Jigged Brown Synthetic Handle: This heavy-duty Brown Synthetic handle material is a poured, molded plastic known for it\'s toughness and fade resistance.
    • Clip:The Clip blade is extremely versatile — just the thing for those everyday tasks at work or around the house. With a sharp point for piercing, the shape allows for better control of the cutting edge.
    • Length: 4.13 inches closed and 2.3 ounces
    • Limited lifetime warranty
    Specifications:
    • Model No.: 00135
    • Pattern: Slimline Trapper
    • Pattern Stamp: 61048 SS
    • Handle Material: Brown Synthetic
    • Handle Finish: Jigged
    • Blade Type: Clip
    • Blade Length (s): 3.25 in
    • Lock Type: Non-Locking (Slip Joint)
    • Blade Material: Tru-Sharp™ Stainless
    • Blade Finish: As-Ground
    • Closed Length: 4.125 in
    • Weight: 2.2 oz

Last edited: May 2, 2019

2. Canndo

Canndo NES Member

Gentlemen’s knife?

enbloc likes this.
  3. DERBIS

DERBIS

I have my grandfather's 62048 which has a boat-load of patina. I'll try to remember to take some pictures to share. It sits on the shelf because I see my pocket knife as a tool, and I do terrible things to my tools.

Thought about picking up an identical new one to actually use though because they are pretty cool.

enbloc likes this.
  4. enbloc

Yeah, "Barfly's Knife" didn't sound right... [smile]

I love old knives. They look "Used", as they should. The replacement you buy and use, will be "sitting on the shelf" for your Grandkids to admire...

Canndo likes this.
  5. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades

I recently picked up a 6375CV Large Stockman. I like it.

enbloc likes this.
  6. enbloc

Very nice choice Jack. What scale/finish did you choose...?

[​IMG]
    I kinda like the "barbed-wire" on the one above...

Definitely fills the hand.
    [​IMG]

SHOCKNAWE likes this.
  7. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

mr. enbloc, while not a "case lover" i do own 1 case, a case/carhartt wharncliffe mini trapper...3" blade with some type of synthetic jigged bone scales. i've posted about it when i got it. honestly, i bought it because i just like wharncliffe blades and they were closing the carhartt le out, the price was right, so... i'm a spyderco guy, have been for many years. i own their wharncliffe delica but that didn't do anything for me. and a delica is my edc knife.

this little case turned out to be a great buy for me with a bunch of uses. after over a year with it i use it every day. although no pocket clip, it seems to find it's way into a pocket and rides along with the delica daily. i'm fiddling with it now as i type. a cool blade. i wouldn't hesitate to buy another case if the occasion came up while knife shopping. i put a poached photo up to refresh your mind of what it looks like.
    [​IMG]

SHOCKNAWE and enbloc like this.
  8. enbloc

Very Nice! Wharncliffe blades make excellent EDCs. It is a great design for cutting and hole puncture. (like adding a hole to a leather belt)

Few of us ever have to stab or slice someone, though most people's EDCs are geared toward combative roles or a combination thereof. (most, not all)
    Those who work with, and count on having a sharp implement on a daily basis for general purposes know the value of a good knife, or two... [smile]

My Case is my general purpose backup and I use it for opening shipping boxes and plastic bags, cutting twine and such, which can dull a blade quickly; this leaves my main blade 100% fresh and sharp for serious use and puts the wear and tear on my little pocket pal...

greencobra likes this.
  9. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

right, exactly. i'd say most of the use for my case is opening mail, packages and slicing fruit. i forget what steel they use for my knife, i doubt it's anything exotic because of it's price point, but it takes an edge easy and holds it pretty well. i'll have to do some research and see what they used.

enbloc likes this.
  10. enbloc

Most case pocket knives are Stainless Surgical Steel (their label, also called 'Tru-Sharp') and Chrome Vanadium. It will be stamped at the base of the blade, opposite side of the logo; as SS or CV.
    ~Matt

Case Tru-Sharp™ Stainless Steel (SS) A special high-carbon steel that helps the blades hold an edge longer than conventional steel. It also offers extraordinary blade strength and corrosion resistance.

Chrome Vanadium Blades (CV) - a special formula of alloyed cutlery steel known for its ease of re-sharpening.

greencobra likes this.
  11. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

yep, that's what the factory nomenclature said when i looked. i'm impressed with it. it's seen some tough duty in between touch-ups along with getting soaked with fruit drippings. goes without saying, nothing worse than a dull blade. and damn, i hate fruit juice gumming up the pivot pin. break free is the little guys friend!

enbloc likes this.
  12. Stape

Stape

I "collect" Case knives. It started with the yellow derlin handled variety, Ive got about every model that can be had with the yellow derlin, now I'm onto amber bone, one of their most popular so I'll be on that one for some time. Case has been around for so long and with so many varieties and models of such they are easy to collect. Some collectors will collect a certain model, maybe a stockman, trapper, or canoe, while others collect a certain color of material, or a series.