• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Case Trimming 6.5? What makes a good trimmer?

Are there meaningful differences between case trimmers? What does one look for in a trimmer?

Looking to trim 6.5 Creedmoore precision loads now that I've run out of unfired brass..

A motorized trimmer that also chamfers will make quick work out of a pile of brass. The Giraud is really the gold standard here, there are others that are almost as good but none that are as good.

Ordered mine for cheap money from CTS engineering (small business in FL and a father/son operation). Removable inserts in all popular calibers and cheap money ($15/caliber change) and chamfers/trims at the same time. Best part is it attaches to a home electric drill as well as a press so it can be used either way.

I’ve used mine on thousands of cases and it’s super fast and easy to set up. I’m into it for just about $150 with 5 or 6 caliber changes.

Another benefit of electric trimmers that trim and chamfer at the same time is that the chamfer is more consistent than anything you'll be able to do with a hand tool.

I need to up grade. I keep dropping the hand held tools.
I think I will buy something soon and then do a mega session in brass prep again. Last run I did enough 223 and 3006 to last 3 years. I'm running low.

I've struggled with my trim it 2. I've sent it back and got another one and the chamfers are still not concentric so they're heavier on one side but Precision wise they're spot on and they like to be run fast like on a bench grinder as opposed to a hand drill

Ordered mine for cheap money from CTS engineering (small business in FL and a father/son operation). Removable inserts in all popular calibers and cheap money ($15/caliber change) and chamfers/trims at the same time. Best part is it attaches to a home electric drill as well as a press so it can be used either way.

I’ve used mine on thousands of cases and it’s super fast and easy to set up. I’m into it for just about $150 with 5 or 6 caliber changes.

Are you sure those do the chamfer and trimming at the same time?

I looked into a Giraud tri way trimmer which trime, chamfers and deburrs but it does not do 6.5 creedmoor

shoot them an email at

cleardot.gif

[email protected]

the guys name is Jim and he's been very responsive to emails in my experience. i don't think i've ever tried to call the shop though.

if you want to try/check out my trimmer, you're more than welcome to stop by with some brass if you're in the worcester area.

Are you sure those do the chamfer and trimming at the same time?

I looked into a Giraud tri way trimmer which trime, chamfers and deburrs but it does not do 6.5 creedmoor

Yes it does, give them a ring. 6.5 Creedmoor is a standard, but he’ll even make custom ones if you need.

I just use one of the Lee ones and it seems to work fine. I'm not processing hundreds of rounds at a time but if I was (i.e. if I was loading 5.56 for and AR) I'd invest in a trimming machine.

Yes it does, give them a ring. 6.5 Creedmoor is a standard, but he’ll even make custom ones if you need.

I emailed him a while back and got this reply

No they do not.
We have tried to accomplish that w/ a different cutting head about 7 years ago but the results were not like doing those 2 processes by hand.

We have never seen a trimmer that did those 3 operations effectively / consistently.
Regards,
Jim

I emailed him a while back and got this reply

No they do not.
We have tried to accomplish that w/ a different cutting head about 7 years ago but the results were not like doing those 2 processes by hand.

We have never seen a trimmer that did those 3 operations effectively / consistently.
Regards,
Jim

You may want to try him again, it's listed as an option right on their website: Giraud Power Trimmer

I don't see how 6.5 Creedmoor would be an different from any other cartridge....

That’s the power trimmer not the drill attachment

Ahh, I didn’t even realize he was making another kind. I guess that’s what happens when you miss Perry two years in a row.

shoot them an email at

cleardot.gif

[email protected]

the guys name is Jim and he's been very responsive to emails in my experience. i don't think i've ever tried to call the shop though.

if you want to try/check out my trimmer, you're more than welcome to stop by with some brass if you're in the worcester area.
I looked at the website and could not find the inserts for different calibers. You can order the trimmer in a specific caliber but nowhere did I see the option to order additional inserts. CTS Case Trimmer

You have to email them for that. It seems cumbersome and ridiculous that they wouldn’t have their website up to date for the last 3 years, but it’s just the nature of doing business with them.

They are very responsive to emails, however. I’ve always received a response within a day. Not sure where you’re located, but if you’re anywhere near Worcester you can come give mine a try before you buy.

You have to email them for that. It seems cumbersome and ridiculous that they wouldn’t have their website up to date for the last 3 years, but it’s just the nature of doing business with them.

They are very responsive to emails, however. I’ve always received a response within a day. Not sure where you’re located, but if you’re anywhere near Worcester you can come give mine a try before you buy.

Thank you for the offer. I am near Worcester so I may take you up on your offer at sometime. So I guess I could order the trimmer online from them and than contact them for the inserts. Thank you for the information.

I would email them for it all. The trimmers are upgraded and they offer the two different styles. I got the type that just spits the brass shavings out the side of the trimmer housing, but they also make a model with a 'brass trap' type design that you have to remove the insert to empty out.

I would email them for it all. The trimmers are upgraded and they offer the two different styles. I got the type that just spits the brass shavings out the side of the trimmer housing, but they also make a model with a 'brass trap' type design that you have to remove the insert to empty out.
How did you pay? I wouldn't want to put my credit card info in an email.

I believe I paid him with PayPal both times. He sent me an invoice with the exact amount and I paid it. Their shipping is a little slow because they make every piece to order. I even had a custom trimmer insert made for an oddball caliber and he didn’t even charge me extra...I honestly couldn’t believe it.

I believe I paid him with PayPal both times. He sent me an invoice with the exact amount and I paid it. Their shipping is a little slow because they make every piece to order. I even had a custom trimmer insert made for an oddball caliber and he didn’t even charge me extra...I honestly couldn’t believe it.
Thanks for the information. I've heard back from him and he said that he has to make the one I want with the inserts. The others on the website are caliber specific. He said he is swamped and that it would be around 7 weeks if I want one.

I bit the bullet and bought a Giraud. Its funny. I haven't used it in a couple of years. At the time I die several miserable marathon evenings with a 5 gal bucket of .223 and another of .308. It sucked, your hands start to cramp up. But I've got literally years worth of brass now. Some of my .223 have several reloads on them and they are still within spec for case length.

Maybe some of you should buy one to share. The thing seems like it could run all day every day.

Maybe some of you should buy one to share. The thing seems like it could run all day every day.
In.

I've been looking at different trimmers but haven't bit the bullet yet, so to speak. Been using the Lee hand tools and destroying my fingers and palms. I use light loads generally so I haven't had to do too much. I have two large coffee cans of 308 that definitely will need some trimmer though, and I am not looking forward to it.

Anyone have opinions on the hornady cam lock case trimmer? I see it has an optional power adapter so you can avoid hand cranking? For the amount I'd trim I'm not dropping $500+ for a giraud.

Back
Top Bottom