Case prep ?

Sens

NES Member
I'm using my once fired brass.
Do I start with the Lyman case tumbler (with walnut shells) first or do I need to prep the cases prior to that?
Using a Dillon 650xl.
thanks

My routines:

Straight walled pistol cases:

Decap
Tumble
Size
Expand
Inspect
Prime
Charge
Seat

Bottleneck rifle cases:

Lube
Size (includes expand and decap)
Gauge (and trim if needed) and inspect.
Tumble
Prime
Charge
Seat

My routines (Dillon 550B)

Straight walled pistol cases: (.32 H&R, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 ACP, .45 AR)
Tumble
Decap & Size
Prime
Charge
Seat
Crimp
Inspect

Bottleneck rifle cases: (.223, .30-06)
Tumble
Lube, Decap, Size
Tumble
Gauge (and trim if needed)
Swage (if needed - mil brass)
Inspect
Prime
Charge
Seat
Crimp
Inspect

Last edited:
My routines (Dillon 550B)

Straight walled pistol cases:

Tumble
Inspect and sort
Decap & Size
Prime
Charge
Seat
Crimp
Inspect

Bottleneck rifle cases:

Tumble
Inspect and sort
Lube, Decap, Size
Tumble
Gauge (and trim if needed)
Ream the primer pocket (if needed)
Inspect
Prime
Charge
Seat
Crimp
Inspect

My routine is the same, but with the changes in blue.

RKG, do you really size your rifle brass before cleaning the cases? If so, you must either pick up your brass at a really clean range or hate your dies.

Last edited:
My routine is the same, but with the changes in blue.

1) Do you headstamp sort, caliber sort, both? I never tumble two different size cases together
except for same approximate sizes (38/357), (44/45), then I have to sort. I'm not big on
sorting pistol brass at all unless I am mixing sizes or calibers, but I do sort by headstamp
with rifle brass although I am going to experiment with not sorting some shortly.

2) Why do you ream primer pockets? I've never done that.

1) Do you headstamp sort, caliber sort, both? I never tumble two different size cases together
except for same approximate sizes (38/357), (44/45), then I have to sort. I'm not big on
sorting pistol brass at all unless I am mixing sizes or calibers, but I do sort by headstamp
with rifle brass although I am going to experiment with not sorting some shortly.

If I have enough brass, I headstamp sort. I don't have to caliber sort after tumbling. I don't tumble mixed brass together because I never put dirty mixed brass together. I have a bin for every caliber I load.

1)

Some military brass has a primer crimp. This has to be removed before you can insert a new primer. Since I have thousands of these, I invested in a Dillon swager. One of the best reloading investments I made.

regards....Roger

Some military brass has a primer crimp. This has to be removed before you can insert a new primer. Since I have thousands of these, I invested in a Dillon swager. One of the best reloading investments I made.

regards....Roger

I started buying processed brass instead. An extra $10 per 1000 to remove the crimp is a bargain IMHO.

Thanks for the input.
I can see there is some personal preference that I will learn along the way.
This info is very helpful.

okay, here's my case prep for rifle cartridges.

Tumble with walnut
Sort out the ‘FC’ headstamps
Lube, size & trim (Dillon case trimmer)
Spot check with a case gage and caliper
Tumble with corn cob and polish
De-cap
Swag primer pockets if needed
Hand prime

I use a 550 to charge, seat & crimp.

Tumble finished bullets again if the OCD is acting up.

Do you think the wife will miss a few of those dryer sheets? I bought a couple of bags of the walnut shells at the pet supply, $10 each after tax.
Spent all week tumbling brass, just need to get some components and start loading. I guess a trip to Rileys is in the future.
Any powder recommendations for 45 acp 230 fmj?

Do you think the wife will miss a few of those dryer sheets? I bought a couple of bags of the walnut shells at the pet supply, $10 each after tax.
Spent all week tumbling brass, just need to get some components and start loading. I guess a trip to Rileys is in the future.
Any powder recommendations for 45 acp 230 fmj?

You want used dryer sheets. I have a plastic box on top of the dryer and the wife just
puts the used ones in there for me. From time to time, if it gets full, I just transfer them
to a Glad bag and keep them in the reloading area for use.

Ah, it's great to sit back and read these posts on reloading and gain some knowledge that I can definitely use. Gaining insight from those with more experience than me, thank you gentlemen.​

Back
Top Bottom