• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Case Prep

Mike 53

NES Member
So I've been loading .45 ACP on my Dillon 550, and am now ready to start with .308...
But I'm thinking of using something like a Rockchucker to do decap and sizing on, as the cases will need to be tumbled before loading (on the Dillon.) I have a wanted ad up on the Classifieds here, hopefully someone has one they want to part with...[wink]
I guess any single-stage with the leverage to size .308 and /06 would do. Any other suggestions?
Thanks, Mike

So I've been loading .45 ACP on my Dillon 550, and am now ready to start with .308...
But I'm thinking of using something like a Rockchucker to do decap and sizing on, as the cases will need to be tumbled before loading (on the Dillon.) I have a wanted ad up on the Classifieds here, hopefully someone has one they want to part with...[wink]
I guess any single-stage with the leverage to size .308 and /06 would do. Any other suggestions?
Thanks, Mike

you can get lucky sometimes on the auction boards. I still load everything on the 007 hornady single stage. As my children and I get older I have less time will be updating to progressive soon.
The hornady has plenty of leverage and I convert 30-06 to 8mm and 7.7jap with ease

did you look at ALL the for sale threads? i believe there were a couple single stage presses up and may be still there.

A Rock Chucker will work. Get any press that has a substantial mounting base and hefty hardware to securely mount it to a solid bench. Avoid white metal handle mounts like some of the smaller Lee presses.
A head space case gauge would be helpful for proper bottle-neck case sizing, too.

Rockchucker is an excellent choice. I see them on ebay all the time. As NavelOfficer says, get a case gauge before you start resizing the brass to make sure you are setup correctly.

+1 on the Rockchucker. I prep all of my rifle brass on one, then load the finished brass on my 550.

I've reloaded thousands upon thousands of pistol and rifle rounds on my RCBS JR2 since I bought it used from a friend of mine about 25 years ago. Most rounds were 38sp/357mag, 45 auto, 380 auto, 223, 308 and 30-06...still runs tight and true.

I just bought a 550B but will still use the JR for sizing rifle cases. especially those with mil crimps.

Last weekend went out and bought a Forster Co-ax single stage. It's supposed to have greatest mechanical advantage. I did it as a favor to my old bod...(torn rotator cuff I can't afford to fix, thanks Obozo...)
Mike

Back
Top Bottom