• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Case lube

Thought I'd post this,found a case lube that as easy to use as Imperial case lube and is a lot cheaper. Royal Case and Die lube got it from Midway,easy to use as Imperial but the Container is much bigger than Imperial. Used it to size some 223 cases some of which I formed into 300 blk. Nice thing is it takes next to nothing to lube the case,wipes off easily and has a very pleasent scent.

Got my flame suit ready [smile] ...I use Imperial for big jobs like turning .3006 into 8x57 or 7.7x58's. But for resizing .223 I stand them up and spray them from 2 sides- super lightly- with Pam cooking spray, including the inside of the necks a little. Works about 100 times better than Hornady One-Shot. They go back in the tumbler when I'm done.

the good thing is you can find case lube even cheaper but its good you dont have to remove this stuff and it wont harm powder or primers.
theres a lot of things you can use
Friends been using this stuff ?

Im going to try the tire lube at my work. Its a water based paste that will not tarnish metal. Its much like any case wax?

I now old timers who use mink oil, PAM , and just about any thing resembling lube

Got my flame suit ready [smile] ...I use Imperial for big jobs like turning .3006 into 8x57 or 7.7x58's. But for resizing .223 I stand them up and spray them from 2 sides- super lightly- with Pam cooking spray, including the inside of the necks a little. Works about 100 times better than Hornady One-Shot. They go back in the tumbler when I'm done.
huh! this pam business is not new. i've heard of it years ago but never tried it myself. wonder if it works with the coconut oil pam?

I use the unique case lube, how does imperial compare to it? Using it to turn 30-06 into 8mm mauser as well as fl size
Its all basically the same. Just google the product name and MSDS
Hornady unique lube is basically mink oil and tallow.
reminds me of another lube another old timer told me.....good old plain ivory soap.

I haven't found anything I like better than the Dillon lube. Last time I bought at Shooters it was $7.99 IIRC... Easy to make your own with 99% isopropyl and liquid lanolin. The HEET
at the auto parts is 99% and cheep. Goes a long way and just works the nuts!

I always wanted to try Imperial but the cost for that little tin put me off and I have a fair supply of the lanolin/Heet lube as well but when I saw the " others have bought" when I ordered a set of dies figured why not.

The lube looks like vaseline so I'm not to worried about rust.
most lube is some sort of fat or wax just about anything works. i have been using the grease that came with my pellet gun valve repair kit for forming 8mm and 7.7 jap from 30-06 looks like silicone grease. Also have that fine powder mica stuff for neck sizing that works well.
Lube should last many many 1000s of rounds. You dont need much.

I tried different lubes and found that a 16oz bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin, both can be found on Amazon, work great. I put them into a spray bottle from Walmart, dropped in two bullets to help when I shake the mixture up and I've never had a problem with stuck cases... 16oz of isopropyl alcohol and 4oz of lanolin will last for years...(depending how much you reload).

I haven't found anything I like better than the Dillon lube. Last time I bought at Shooters it was $7.99 IIRC... Easy to make your own with 99% isopropyl and liquid lanolin. The HEET
at the auto parts is 99% and cheep. Goes a long way and just works the nuts!
That is what I use, 99% Isopropyl and Lanolin. I bought one bottle of lanolin and a good quality spray bottle, probably last a lifetime.

When I was 21 years old, I was working as a civilian for the US Army. My Boss was a Major (later retired as LTC). I wanted to buy a handgun but did not know which one. He took me to a shooting range where I shot all his handguns including his Colt 45 and his Colt Python (including firing one round of FBI armor piercing ammo). After I purchased a handgun he taught me how to reload. This was back around 1979.
He told me to buy Crisco grease.

To this day I continue to use solid Crisco grease - available in grocery stores in the Baking isle.
He told me to put enough on the case that it will feel slippery, but not so much that you can actually see the Crisco grease.
He also said to wipe all of it off after resizing.
Wash my hands before priming - and use one hand for the primers and a different hand for touching the resized cases - to make extra sure no Crisco grease gets on the primers.

No tumblers - they didn't exist anyway.
The Crisco Grease removed dirt from the brass case.

I tried different lubes and found that a 16oz bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin, both can be found on Amazon, work great. I put them into a spray bottle from Walmart, dropped in two bullets to help when I shake the mixture up and I've never had a problem with stuck cases... 16oz of isopropyl alcohol and 4oz of lanolin will last for years...(depending how much you reload).

I made up a batch with paste lanolin and alcohol. I have to heat it up to get the lanolin to disolve. Hmm. Also can't remember if it was 99% or 70% isopropyl alcohol.

Rookie errors. Ha.

I just bought two cans of Lyman case lube, the spray stuff because I'm almost out of the last can I bought. Bought it directly from Lyman, (quick compared it elsewhere and they had the best price).

But - this is a repeat of a previous order, from 9/23/2020 - so just about a year ago.
9.95 went to 11.25
3.00 S&H went to 5.00
Total from last year was 22.90; the exact same order just now cost me 29.70.

That's a huge increase percentage wise.

Yeah - I know - I could make my own out of lanolin and alcohol. Hmmm.

Shooters had the Dillon case lube...now $15.99/ bottle. Best but easy to make with 99% isopropyl alcohol and lanolin, both available cheap from Amazon...

Easy to make your own with 99% isopropyl and liquid lanolin. The HEET at the auto parts is 99% and cheep. Goes a long way and just works the nuts!
I'm going to get right on that as soon as I'm done making my own paper, building a DIY refrigerator, and making a few lightbulbs for the kids.

Just kidding. I like the Dillon lube for big quantities, and Imperial for smaller jobs.

Back
Top Bottom