• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Case in MA where a self defense situation resulted in a conviction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was grabbing text from another case for another thread and ran across this gem. Basically the shooters were not allowed to submit expert testimony on self defense. The reasoning is specious but the DA prosecuted because there was a prior relationship between the "victim" and the "defendants".

David R. Pepicelli (Massachusetts). The chairman authorized on September 19, 2006 the expenditure of up to $2500 to cover the preparation and filing of an appellate amicus brief. David R. Pepicelli, was an NRA firearms instructor. He and his brother, Paul, were assaulted by five men, one carrying an unlicensed revolver with an obliterated serial number, who had come to their home to confront a family member about a minor car accident. David believed that he saw several of the men draw handguns and heard a shot fired. He then shot one of the men. Most of the others fled. The one with the revolver stayed and pointed the gun at David and Paul from the cover of a parked car. David and Paul, both licensed to carry concealed firearms in Boston, fired at the man and drove him away. The Boston Police conducted a substandard crime scene investigation. They were unable to locate any trace of the first shot fired by the five men, but were also unable to locate any trace of about a third of the shots known to be fired by David and Paul. David and Paul were arrested for assaulting the five men and for the death of the man David shot. At trial, the trial judge disallowed defense testimony by Thomas Aveni, a former instructor at Smith & Wesson Academy about common standards for self-defense. Paul was convicted of assaulting the man with the revolver using a cane he walked with after surgery. David was convicted of manslaughter of the man he shot. One of the key issues in the appeal is whether the trial court abused its discretion in denying David's expert's testimony. This will be one of the first appellate cases on this issue, which is of importance to every person forced to use a firearm in self-defense. NRA’s amicus curiae brief was filed on November 18, 2006. The court held that expert testimony concerning the reasonableness of the use of firearms by civilians for self-defense in various situations was inadmissible. The admission of expert testimony lies largely in the discretion of the trial judge. The judge did not abuse his discretion. Commonwealth v. Pepicelli, 70 Mass. App. Ct. 87, 872 N.E.2d 1142 (2007).

Here is the DA's take.
APPEALS COURT UPHOLDS NORTH END MURDER CONVICTION

September 6, 2007

The Massachusetts Appeals Court today affirmed the 2004 convictions of two North End men found guilty for their respective roles in the shooting death of David Stivaletta and the beating of another man on Michaelangelo Street in September 1999, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
DAVID PEPICELLI (D.O.B. 3/13/62) and PAUL PEPICELLI (D.O.B. 11/26/59) were found guilty of voluntary manslaughter and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, respectively, after a month-long trial between Nov. 15 and Dec. 14, 2004. The two brothers had been charged with first-degree murder for the daylight shooting, which occurred two days after the beating victim was involved in a minor car accident with the girlfriend of a third Pepicelli brother.
In affirming the convictions and denying their request for a new trial, the Appeals Court ruled that the judge in the original proceedings was correct in removing from the jury a man who acknowledged speaking about the case to a stranger, who told the juror that the victims had been using cocaine. The MAC also ruled that the judge’s instructions to the remaining jurors were appropriate and was not suggestive of his own feelings on the case.
“The judge found the violation [of his instructions not to discuss the case outside the jury room] to be ‘egregious’ and to have exposed the juror to extraneous information he should not have heard concerning the trial’s participants,” Justice William J. Meade wrote in the 10-page decision. Moreover, “Neither defendant lodged an objection to the instruction” the judge gave to remaining jurors not to consider why the juror had been removed.
The MAC also ruled that the exclusion of an “expert witness” who would have testified about the use of firearms in self-defense was appropriate, given that they “offered the trial judge no authority in support of the propriety of their request. The trial judge excluded the evidence based on his determination that the jury did not need the assistance of an expert in deciding whether the defendants acted reasonably.”
Finally, the MAC ruled that the 2005 SJC decision in Commonwealth v. Adjutant, which allows the introduction of a victim’s prior violent conduct to support a claim of self-defense. “Both defendants sought only to impeach testifying Stivaletta group members with their prior convictions, and they explicitly denied an intention to introduce any other evidence of the group members’ prior bad acts,” Meade wrote, noting that “such reputation evidence is inadmissible and does not qualify as Adjutant evidence.”
"The case against these defendants went to a jury of 12 men and women who followed the evidence and found the facts,” Conley said. “The trial was fair, and their decision will stand.”

Welcome to MA.... [thinking] Sounds like they got screwed.

-Mike

First I heard of this case. A few reactions . . .

- If this Stivaletta is related to a once powerful contractor with that name, there may have been some "political influence" at play in this case.

- Tom Aveni, IIRC was a NJ LEO and one of the founding members of LEAA.
http://www.theppsc.org/Staff/Aveni/Tom.htm

- It doesn't sound like they had very good legal representation at trial. [thinking]

I can guarantee you this, the Dedham Police Department is pleased that they don't have to deal with the victim anymore.

First I heard of this case. A few reactions . . .

- If this Stivaletta is related to a once powerful contractor with that name, there may have been some "political influence" at play in this case.

- Tom Aveni, IIRC was a NJ LEO and one of the founding members of LEAA.
http://www.theppsc.org/Staff/Aveni/Tom.htm

- It doesn't sound like they had very good legal representation at trial. [thinking]

I can guarantee you this, the Dedham Police Department is pleased that they don't have to deal with the victim anymore.

I was betting there was more to this case than met the eye when I posted it. I am not surprised that in 4 posts we have had indications of untoward influence and a history on the so called victim. I hope to god I am never in a MA court room as a defendant. The CJ system here sometimes seems to be corrupt beyond belief.

I was betting there was more to this case than met the eye when I posted it. I am not surprised that in 4 posts we have had indications of untoward influence and a history on the so called victim. I hope to god I am never in a MA court room as a defendant. The CJ system here [STRIKE]sometimes seems to be[/STRIKE] IS corrupt beyond belief.

FIFY

I may be misremembering, but I thought that the deceased was mobbed up. Attorney Lisa Steele's opinion was that these guys got screwed.

I remember this. Daylight shootout on the streets in the North End. Both brothers emptied Glocks at this guy.

They got screwed, the fact that five armed individuals came to their house never came into the trial!

Just a little misunderstanding gone bad between two groups of....Good Fellas

2 brothers claim self-defense in deadly clash
By John Ellement, Globe Staff | November 16, 2004

David Pepicelli did not flinch yesterday when his lawyer told a jury in Suffolk Superior Court that Pepicelli shot and killed David A. Stivaletta on a dead-end street five years ago in the North End.

In fact, Pepicelli will take the stand to tell jurors about the shooting that led to the first-degree murder charges that he and his older brother, Paul, are facing for the Sept. 4, 1999, killing of Stivaletta, 42, of Hyde Park, said lawyer John J. McGlone III.

''He shot Mr. David Stivaletta. He did it," said McGlone, pointing at his burly, gray-haired client. ''David Pepicelli is going to get up and tell his story."

That story is one of self-defense, according to lawyers for the Pepicelli brothers, lifelong residents of the North End who say they were ambushed by a group of at least five men led by neighborhood resident Timothy Martin.

But Assistant District Attorney John P. Pappas told jurors that all the ballistic evidence recovered at the scene came from guns fired by the Pepicellis -- and no one else. Without some indication that the Pepicellis were in danger from Martin, Stivaletta, and others, there is no legal justification for Stivaletta's slaying, Pappas said.

The dispute started with a fender-bender involving Martin and the girlfriend of a third brother, Joseph Pepicelli, who is a municipal police officer for the city, said McGlone and Randolph Gioia, lawyer for Paul Pepicelli. Martin's group went looking for the Pepicellis on Michelangelo Street, where they have lived for decades, defense lawyers said.

Stivaletta and Martin found that the Pepicelli brothers were carrying .40 caliber Glock semiautomatic pistols -- which they are licensed to carry -- and a fight broke out.

When it was over, Stivaletta was mortally wounded, and the Pepicelli brothers had fired 18 rounds. Martin left the scene with a head wound and dropped a bloodstained .38 caliber pistol, said prosecutors and defense lawyers.

The Pepicelli brothers fended off the attackers -- including Martin, Stivaletta, his son, Scott, a nephew, Arthur Stivaletta, and family friend, Christopher Luciano.After the guns were emptied, only the Pepicelli brothers stayed at the scene, laying down their weapons and waiting for Boston police to arrive, said the defense lawyers.

Beyond the ballistics and blood, a Boston University sociology professor sees the murder case as reflective of change in the neighborhood that historically was synonomous with Italian familes. Professor Daniel J. Monti, a close friend of the Pepicelli family, said Martin and his cohorts would never have reached the Pepicelli's street if the dispute had occurred 20 years ago.

''They would have immediately been observed and challenged by any number of people as outsiders who were looking for trouble," said Monti, who was in the courtroom yesterday watching the trial.

''But with the kind of changes that have been going on in the North End, there simply wasn't as many people as there once was to monitor the comings and goings" in the neighborhood, said Monti, who is devoting a chapter on the shooting in an academic book on the civic changes in Boston and who is also planning to write a novel built around the killing.

Monti criticized Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley's office for prosecuting the Pepicellis, saying it was pursued because the Pepicellis are related to Robert Luisi Sr., a reputed organized crime figure murdered inside the 99 Restaurant in Charlestown in 1995.

David Procopio, Conley's spokesman, said Monti's claims are ''preposterous."

The trial resumes today.

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without profit or payment to those who
have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information
for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more
information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

They were/are all "Mobbed up". Pepicellis' uncle and cousin were shot in a restaurant following an assault by them on the shooters.
I wish someone would tell me why the Pepicellis had permits to carry concealed weapons, which they did until they went to prison. They claim to have lived in one neighborhood for all of their lives. surrounded by friends and family. So why did they need to carry concealed glocks?
It stated in the transcripts that the Pepicellis went to the home of the "victim" and were seen looking up at the building and checking out the names on the door. Afterward, the "victim" went to MichelangeloStreet where the Pepicellis live looking for them. No one was right in this. No one "won"

They were/are all "Mobbed up". Pepicellis' uncle and cousin were shot in a restaurant following an assault by them on the shooters.
I wish someone would tell me why the Pepicellis had permits to carry concealed weapons, which they did until they went to prison. They claim to have lived in one neighborhood for all of their lives. surrounded by friends and family. So why did they need to carry concealed glocks?
It stated in the transcripts that the Pepicellis went to the home of the "victim" and were seen looking up at the building and checking out the names on the door. Afterward, the "victim" went to MichelangeloStreet where the Pepicellis live looking for them. No one was right in this. No one "won"

Where the F did you come from 4 years after this was posted, and with this "carrying concealed is bad m'kay" attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom