• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Case failures

Anyone else hang on to weird damaged cases they find at the range? I have found a few 9mm cases that were bulged like they'd been fired in a .40, the top half of a 9mm that suffered a case head separation, and a few others with various splits and cracks.

My father found this case on the ground at the range recently and I thought it was interesting. The primer has sealant around it, which leads me to believe it was a factory loaded round.

E8A73C38-6677-4A81-BE70-C65BB8A03A68.jpg

80108DCB-4C4C-41B6-B1F3-E6BDCC7D99CD.jpg

I pick up all brass. I either scrap what can't be used, and later trade it in to a local scrap yard for lead to cast, or clean and tumble brass I don't use, to karma off to fledgling new reloaders to help them out, or trade it for brass I do use.

Look like typical case failures to me. These things don't last forever.
A case could fail on the first use, but that's not the norm. If every round that you fire at one range session comes out cracked or in some way failed, I'd look deeper. Splits on the mouth, cracks along the body and even a total head separation are typical types of failures, but they shouldn't be that frequent.
I've noticed many surplus 8mm (usually Yugo) that seem to have stress blisters (for lack of a better term) near the web and many develop multiple cracks in this area. I don't know if this is from internal corrosion or what.

Happened a few times with the Corbon JHP with my Glock 20. I sent them a message regarding this and they replied this only happens with a Glock.

Pictures are on my old phone, not in service.

Would you even notice a case split like the one I posted when you fired it?

You might notice a little gas blow-back, but most of this will be contained in the chamber. If a primer pops out, you may notice more blow-back and debris in your face; perhaps even a jamming in the action or magazine depending where the primer ends up.

The ones I posted were spam can 54r rounds. I was able to audibly tell that those rounds sounded different and when I popped the case out they were split.

Back
Top Bottom