• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cartridge OAL question

BTSDOG

NES Member
Just getting ready to trim up some 30-06 and while checking cases im wondering what others would do in this situation. Max length is listed at 2.494, and trim to length is listed at 2.484. I try to keep em all around .485-.486. While checking pre trim lengths, im finding some as short as 2.473 up to 2.480, all under the trim to length of 2.484. Ive never come across or used cases that are undersized such as these. Are they still safe to use, as I'm not loading for precision shooting, just functionality in my Garand. I know once loaded all the cartridges will have same OAL, but these would just have less brass in the neck area to hold the bullet. Any thoughts or input. Thanks

I can't see 0.004" - 0.011" short hurting your Garand. Look at your feeler gauge and consider the amount on a two and half inch case length. Others here will prolly tell you to toss them but I would use them.

The only issue I can see is crimp. If you don't crimp, it won't matter but if you crimp, those short cases will have little or no crimp.

I acquired them from an estate, some once fired, some reloaded 7+ times. I have annealed all, deprimed, swaged, wet tumbled and sized. All ready for a new life.....Just been finding some short ones.
My guess is short trimmed in past ?
Probably well with in SAMMI specs

SAMMI web site is a great source of information all kinds of stuff... Testing/specs on the boring side but tons of stuff.

30-06 CASE length max 2.494"-.020" so you can be as short a 2.474" For my Generic M1 reloads I set my caliper at 2.494" Zero the caliper and anything that comes out + gets put into the needs to be trimmed box. For my "match" rifle I set all my brass to 2.485"ish I will check length and keep loading until I get back to 2.494"

1618744948210.png

Last edited:
My guess is short trimmed in past ?
Probably well with in SAMMI specs

SAMMI web site is a great source of information all kinds of stuff... Testing/specs on the boring side but tons of stuff.

30-06 CASE length max 2.494"-.020" so you can be as short a 2.474" For my Generic M1 reloads I set my caliper at 2.494" Zero the caliper and anything that comes out + gets put into the needs to be trimmed box. For my "match" rifle I set all my brass to 2.485"ish I will check length and keep loading until I get back to 2.494"

View attachment 473614

Do you have a link to website ??

Thanks !! Very informative site. Like the section where you can get manuals from different manufacturers .....👍👍
SAAMI is the bible for dimensions.

Every reloader should have the PDFs on hand and know how to read the drawings.

They have individual pdf's for each caliber ? I havent looked at the whole site yet.
No just pistol, rifle, rimfire and shots hell
They are pretty easy to navigate (but not really searchable) so you can print the pages you need to a new PDF for a condensed reference.

I acquired them from an estate, some once fired, some reloaded 7+ times.

The shorter cases shouldn't be an issue in your Garand.

However, I would probably toss those cases because of what I quoted above. 30-06 once fired brass isn't hard to find.

My opinion: If it's out of spec, and you can't change it to be in spec, then throw it in the trash can.

Specifications are made for a reason - not worth damage or injury.
File them in the trash-can.

Back
Top Bottom