• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying while hiking/camping

Sorry if this is a dupe...

Just wondering if it is Legal to carry, (CC) while hiking/camping in MA. This would NOT be during hunting season where issues with different firearms arise due to the season, it would take place during the summer. I have always been confused with the whole carrying in a state/national park etc, not sure what the law says about this in MA. Just trying to do some homework ahead of time before I head out. Thanks.

Sorry if this is a dupe...

Just wondering if it is Legal to carry, (CC) while hiking/camping in MA. This would NOT be during hunting season where issues with different firearms arise due to the season, it would take place during the summer. I have always been confused with the whole carrying in a state/national park etc, not sure what the law says about this in MA. Just trying to do some homework ahead of time before I head out. Thanks.

Just FYI, It's always hunting season for something.

As someone else posted it is legal if you have an LTCA. I carry concealed when I hike and snowshoe in MA. I have also open carried when hiking and backwoods camping in NH. You draw a few funny looks from some hikers but I just keep walking!

Just FYI, It's always hunting season for something.

As far as MGLs on guns is concerned, you are GTG in state/national parks in MA.

As Mike says . . . check the MA hunting laws in C. 131 for any restrictions however. They also impact us and you will probably be surprised by what you find there and I don't mean that in a good way. EPOs have jurisdiction everywhere in the Commiewealth 24x7x365!

Last edited:
Depending on what you have for a permit. ALP or Sporting (If there are more trees than people) and you are not hunting, carrying is perfectly legal while hiking.

The idea of getting in trouble carrying the wrong type of gun during hunting season could cause an issue if you were hiking in full cammo. Otherwise as long as you do not appear to be in persuite of game your all set.

I thought a National Park was considered Federal land and you are not allowed to carry on Federal Land? Like the park at the Cape Cod Canal is Federal and you can't carry there. Is this true, or is it still concealed means concealed?

As far as MGLs on guns is concerned, you are GTG in state/national parks in MA.

As Mike says . . . check the MA hunting laws in C. 131 for any restrictions however. They also impact us and you will probably be surprised by what you find there and I don't mean that in a good way. EPOs have jurisdiction everywhere in the Commiewealth 24x7x265!

pretty decent job they have, 100 days off a year!

So if nature calls its okay to do that outside as your barred from the "restroom building".

Actually in Ma pissing in public is a considered a sex offense. You will be charged with indecent exposure. The penalties for indecent exposure are as follows:

Up to 6 months in jail.
Fines up to $200.
Probation.
Possible required registration as a sex offender.

And yes you WILL be found to be an "unsuitable person", if you are from a red town, and have your LTC pulled. I do personally know one person who was forced to register. If you get a halfway decent LEO then you may just get let go and told not to do it again. But if not or you fly off the handle about how absurd the law is then you will be facing criminal charges.

Actually in Ma pissing in public is a considered a sex offense. You will be charged with indecent exposure. The penalties for indecent exposure are as follows:

Up to 6 months in jail.
Fines up to $200.
Probation.
Possible required registration as a sex offender.

And yes you WILL be found to be an "unsuitable person", if you are from a red town, and have your LTC pulled. I do personally know one person who was forced to register. If you get a halfway decent LEO then you may just get let go and told not to do it again. But if not or you fly off the handle about how absurd the law is then you will be facing criminal charges.

Pissing in front of strangers, in public, is classless.

It's not that hard to find somewhere to hide.

Any reasonable LEO knows the difference.

Thanks for the help, yes it is always hunting season of some sort, however from what I gathered it is really Deer season they get worked up about. Looks like I am GTG. Thanks again.

Just to add my .02.
CC is legal in WA without a permit if you are engaged in hiking, camping, fishing, hunting. I know... doesn't help in MA. ;)

A quote from the licensing officer in Somerville regarding my desireto carry a Henry Survival Rifle in my backpack while hiking and camping. "If I stopped you and didn't find it, it would be fine. However, if I found it I'd arrest you and you'd lose your LTC. So, feel free to go ahead and do it." (That's about as verbatim as I remember, he is a dick.)

Finally, I was fishing on saturday at a spot I've never been, had my glock on my belt, under my jacket. I got boxed in on the shore by two coyotes. Must have smelled my bait and snacks, but that was an attention getter. Not that MA has any coyotes though.

A quote from the licensing officer in Somerville regarding my desireto carry a Henry Survival Rifle in my backpack while hiking and camping. "If I stopped you and didn't find it, it would be fine. However, if I found it I'd arrest you and you'd lose your LTC.

And charge you with what exactly?

And charge you with what exactly?

I'm not sure, but this was during a discussion where I was asking him to remove the T&H restriction on my license, and one reason I brought up was that I didn't want to cause undue stress to fearful people while out enjoying the state, I specifically mentioned that it would make more sense to keep that particular item IN my backpack instead of ON it.

Just to add my .02.
CC is legal in WA without a permit if you are engaged in hiking, camping, fishing, hunting. I know... doesn't help in MA. ;)

A quote from the licensing officer in Somerville regarding my desireto carry a Henry Survival Rifle in my backpack while hiking and camping. "If I stopped you and didn't find it, it would be fine. However, if I found it I'd arrest you and you'd lose your LTC. So, feel free to go ahead and do it." (That's about as verbatim as I remember, he is a dick.)

Finally, I was fishing on saturday at a spot I've never been, had my glock on my belt, under my jacket. I got boxed in on the shore by two coyotes. Must have smelled my bait and snacks, but that was an attention getter. Not that MA has any coyotes though.

There are coyote's in Massachusetts. I've seen them cross the roads in Methuen and Haverhill and also while pheasant hunting in western mass......when the pheasant stocking truck comes by the coyotes treat that thing like a vending machine!

Living With Coyotes

I always carry when hiking in MA, NH, and ME (Acadia N.P.) (LTC for each). Also, I heard that carry is prohibited on the USS Constitution at the Charlestown Navy Yard. Perhaps one of our attorneys can verify.

This was discussed in another "Can I Carry While Hiking" thread a while back, but I'll mention it again here. The top of Mt. Greylock is a War Memorial and has a no firearms rule (within 3/4 mile radius I believe). I don't know under whose jurisdiction that falls or how enforceable it is, but I thought I'd mention it.

Concealed means concealed
IANAL
YMMV
etc

This was discussed in another "Can I Carry While Hiking" thread a while back, but I'll mention it again here. The top of Mt. Greylock is a War Memorial and has a no firearms rule (within 3/4 mile radius I believe). I don't know under whose jurisdiction that falls or how enforceable it is, but I thought I'd mention it.

Concealed means concealed
IANAL
YMMV
etc

Unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom