• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying to gun shows. I live in CT. Can I legally cross border with handgun to bring to gun show

Maybe, even without a permit, however, the decision presented in Commonwealth v. Corneilus (relating to new move-ins to MA) could easily be expanded to prevent this exemption from applying to high capacity pistols or firearms. I do not know if the commiewealth has yet seized on the logic about the requirement that the permit from another state be one that cannot be issued to drug users, or how the precedent set regarding minor MJ convictions (Wesson v. Fowler) would undermine that logic if so argued.

In other words, maybe. Anyone who claims to know for sure is just guessing.

Chapter 140 Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

I live in CT. Can I legally cross border with handgun to bring to gun show in MA?
Why would you even want to?? Shows in MA are lame. There are a few posts running right now regarding MA shows. Without license from MA you can’t buy guns or ammo here. You are better off leaving it in CT in my opinion. Why risk getting pinched here.

Assuming you want to go there to sell it, what do you have to sell? And why not post it here? If you’re just going and carrying, do whatever your wallet and legal defense fund can handle if arrested.

Assuming you want to go there to sell it, what do you have to sell? And why not post it here? If you’re just going and carrying, do whatever your wallet and legal defense fund can handle if arrested.

not green, does not have access to sell.

also, what are you actually trying to do OP?

Maybe, even without a permit, however, the decision presented in Commonwealth v. Corneilus (relating to new move-ins to MA) could easily be expanded to prevent this exemption from applying to high capacity pistols or firearms. I do not know if the commiewealth has yet seized on the logic about the requirement that the permit from another state be one that cannot be issued to drug users, or how the precedent set regarding minor MJ convictions (Wesson v. Fowler) would undermine that logic if so argued.

In other words, maybe. Anyone who claims to know for sure is just guessing.

The other major problem is that a Connecticut permit to carry pistols/revolvers does not meet the requirements which a permit must meet pursuant to MGL c. 140 s. 131G to qualify a non-resident for that LTC exemption.

(In the past, it has been said that EOPSS did not consider any state's permit as meeting that standard)

Last edited:
The other major problem is that a Connecticut permit to carry pistols/revolvers does not meet the requirements which a permit must meet pursuant to MGL c. 140 s. 131G to qualify a non-resident for that LTC exemption.

(In the past, it has been said that EOPSS did not consider any state's permit as meeting that standard)
The bolded part is true.

It's very simple, Connecticut does not have gun shows anymore.

There's still no point to coming to an MA gun show. I felt bad for the CT people that would come when I worked the shows, because basically they couldn't even touch anything, or at least most vendors wouldn't allow them to. Not that theres much left of MA gun shows
anyways. Someone in CT is better off taking a day trip into PA or something instead, frankly. The shows are much larger there.

-Mike

Dont pay attention to all the naysayers who admit they havent been to a gun show in years, the shows are enjoyable to attend, there is plenty to see, youll be able to see and handle most any gun available, unlike just a few in a gun shop. Some prices may be higher but there is a lot more overhead for the dealers that do set up. Each show I've been to has had a few hundred people waiting in the cold for the doors to open. The shows are not as bad as some make them out to be.

There's still no point to coming to an MA gun show. I felt bad for the CT people that would come when I worked the shows, because basically they couldn't even touch anything, or at least most vendors wouldn't allow them to. Not that theres much left of MA gun shows
anyways. Someone in CT is better off taking a day trip into PA or something instead, frankly. The shows are much larger there.

-Mike

Dont pay attention to all the naysayers who admit they havent been to a gun show in years, the shows are enjoyable to attend, there is plenty to see, youll be able to see and handle most any gun available, unlike just a few in a gun shop. Some prices may be higher but there is a lot more overhead for the dealers that do set up. Each show I've been to has had a few hundred people waiting in the cold for the doors to open. The shows are not as bad as some make them out to be.

His statment is more or less accurate, regarding Connecticut gun shows. Prior to 2013, I would have agreed with you that Connecticut gun shows were OK if you wanted to peruse. There were a few different organizations that ran shows here, including some highly successful shows in some seriously anti-gun communities. In addition to all of the restrictions on firearms and credentialing that were imposed by the 2013 legislation, there was also new restrictions related to gun shows. All of a sudden after that, it was like gun shows totally dried up for a while. A gun collectors organization eventually began hosting its gun shows again (twice a year), out of a different location than they had used in the past. Those shows changed from being low key antique shows to being a premier gun show in Connecticut. They still have a really strong antique/curio flavor- though there are some vendors who sell other types of guns too. I have heard of another down state holding shows, but never checked one out. The major promoter from New York that used to organize most of the Connecticut shows hasn't held any shows since the 2013 laws were passed.

In terms of gun-scene, an individual could do really well if they took an afternoon and drove the loop between various gunshops. We have quite a few decent shops here. Used gun inventory has shown some rebound since immediately after the 2013 laws, immediately after which pickings seemed thin.

The one downside to travelling out of state for gunshows is (1) Connecticut residents can't buy guns/ammo/mags in Mass (2) gun shows in most states are filled with a lot of guns that CT residents can can't buy due to compliance issues, and (3) federal law prohibits interstate pistol transfers and interstate private sales (of long guns or handguns). The effect of 1 and and 3 is that most gun transactions would require an intermediary FFL transfer and (in most situations) common carrier shipment. Add that onto driving to a different state and back, and then working logistics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom