Carrying Mace as a PP

What's the law, or interpretation of both ME and MA law, as it relates to a PP (involuntary hospitalization) carrying mace for personal protection?

sent via Samsung Galaxy S6

What's the law, or interpretation of both ME and MA law, as it relates to a PP (involuntary hospitalization) carrying mace for personal protection?

You can google the law. As a practical matter, as long as you use it for personal defense, don't carry into a federal building, etc the cops will not bother you.

Note: I am not an attorney and you should seek legal advice before carrying mace for personal protection

If you are PP why are you worried about the .gov taking away a right given to you by God? .gov has nothing to do with it. They have no say in the matter. Stop listening to some ahole that wants to take away your rights because they say they can. That's stupid. Be prepared to suffer the consequences though. Me? **** em

Last edited:
The MGL change in 2014 allowed the possession of OC/Mace w/o any gun license. HOWEVER, it requires that you are ELIGIBLE for a LTC and if you are a PP, it is illegal for you to possess OC/Mace.

The better question is this .... so if a PP had cause to use Mace/Pepper Spray and the authorities, for whatever reason, ran a "check" through whatever systems they use, would an involuntary hospitalization be "loaded/coded" in the system? How about if the Mace incident was out of state (ME)?

I don't know if ME can access MA medical issues. Also doubt that ME prohibits anyone (PP or not) from possession of chemical sprays, I think that is a MA-unique issue.

I'm sure if found in MA, they have access to the info of an involuntary hospitalization.

I don't know if ME can access MA medical issues. Also doubt that ME prohibits anyone (PP or not) from possession of chemical sprays, I think that is a MA-unique issue.

I'm sure if found in MA, they have access to the info of an involuntary hospitalization.

Perhaps at the prosecutor's office, or via a portal unknown to me. As of a few minutes ago on CJIS Web, only DPH related database I can seem to find is the MMJ database

If you are PP why are you worried about the .gov taking away a right given to you by God? .gov has nothing to do with it. They have no say in the matter. Stop listening to some ahole that wants to take away your rights because they say they can. That's stupid. Be prepared to suffer the consequences though. Me? **** em

If someone is already a PP, what more do they have left to lose? Oh, the state could put someone in jail for OCing a person that tried to rob them. Yeah, that's going to fly really well with a jury. [rolleyes]

-Mike

Absent an affidavit, MA law prohibits possession...

MGL 140-122D said:
No person shall purchase or possess self-defense spray who:

>snip<

(iii) has been committed to any hospital or institution for mental illness unless the person obtains, prior to purchase or possession, an affidavit of a licensed physician or clinical psychologist attesting that such physician or psychologist is familiar with the applicant's mental illness and that in the physician's or psychologist’s opinion the applicant is not disabled by such an illness in a manner that shall prevent the applicant from possessing self-defense spray;

>snip<

Whoever purchases or possesses self-defense spray in violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000 or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than 2 years or both such fine and imprisonment.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section122D

If someone is already a PP, what more do they have left to lose? Oh, the state could put someone in jail for OCing a person that tried to rob them. Yeah, that's going to fly really well with a jury. [rolleyes]

-Mike

This.

Providing the would-be victim didn't then stomp this piss out of the attacker and boost their shit, turnabout being fair play and all.

-Mike

In MA you never know. I've known people that went to jury duty and didn't know about jury nullification because they try to keep that from you as much as possible, so they thought it was their duty to interpret whether someone has broken the law or not without judgement on whether the law is right or makes sense. Example domestic assault charge for throwing a 10 gram wedding ring at someone. Technically assault, but.... Stupid...

-Mike

Mike, it's the "ping-pong" legal system of dragging on a charge like this for 2-4 years before wearing the guy down to plea out and get on with his life. There is no rapid court system to get justice any more. And DAs use it to get their "wins" count up, regardless of justice.

In MA you never know. I've known people that went to jury duty and didn't know about jury nullification because they try to keep that from you as much as possible, so they thought it was their duty to interpret whether someone has broken the law or not without judgement on whether the law is right or makes sense. Example domestic assault charge for throwing a 10 gram wedding ring at someone. Technically assault, but.... Stupid...

Absolutely true.

If i were a PP and trying to stay out of trouble, i'd probably carry a decent knife.

IANAL, but to my knowledge there is no MA or ME law against a PP carrying a knife, so long as they are not doing anything dangerous/illegal with it.

I'd take a nice 4" spring assist with a quality blade over pepper spray any day.

Back
Top Bottom