• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying In The Non-Permissive Environment

M.Nastek

Instructor
NES Member
Carrying In The Non-Permissive Environment

First of all, nothing in this article is to be construed as an advocating of violating any laws. This is presented for those who may be interested in the academic nature of such studies and for education purposes only. There now that we got that clove of garlic out in the air, let's get into the meat of the material.

This will be controversial, but I think it needs to be written. I have students all over the world, in some very dangerous areas. In many of those places, there is no NRA, CCW Laws, Second Amendment, or even recognition of Human Rights. The danger is real and I'm regaled with stories of brutality from infant rape to post-kidnapping dismemberments and other grizzly stories that would drive any sane man to carry weapons, regardless of the local laws, and be prepared to use them violently at any moment. The danger is even more real if you are a pale-faced American in our current age of drug wars, terror wars, and renewed anti-Yankeeism. Can this info be misused? Anything from beer to baseball bats can be misused. The bad guys already know this material, and it is part and parcel of their bad guy skill sets. Heck, who do you think we learned this from? Our friends who were once on the opposite side of the legal lines.

When Operating and Carrying Weapons in A Non-Permissive Environment:

First of all, be low profile. Try to fit into your environment. Don't dress like a Yankee. Avoid loud clothing with bright colors or patterns and instead go for muted earth tones. Avoid the scruffy look as well. In general, neat, clean people get overlooked, dirty scruffy unshaved people get a second look. Avoid American brand clothing such as things with flags or slogans. Again, the entire idea is to dressed in a way that you can easily be overlooked.

If carrying a weapon, dress to hide it. No one looking at you should have any idea that you are carrying a weapon. Photographer vests from Royal Robbins may look and be the rage on the cover of Bitchin Guy Magazine, but you may as well carry openly because everyone knows its covering a gun. Same goes for baseball hats representing American tactical companies such as Glock or "certain shooting schools". If it marks you as an armed American, do yourself a favor - get rid of it! Real operators are invisible, not poster boys for the American gun industry.

A note about weapons. Pistols of course are a fine choice if you can have one. If not, at least have a knife. Either bring one with you, or get one locally. If you cannot find a knife, get a screw driver a nice sharp Phillips screw driver. The idea is to have something with which to fight. Usually someone will bring up the idea of O.C. Spray. Well, here is my opinion on it. In the USA, that may be a fine idea due to various social issues, but with or without it, you must have something to back it up. You cannot OC three guys wanting to "stomp the Yankee".

In this environment the idea of less lethal is secondary to having the ability to inflict instant and overwhelming damage on those who attack you. With regard to firearms, there are some choices which are better than others. Avoid extremely expensive or "personalized" guns. Carry Mexican style. That is holster less. Why? Because if you need to discard you pistol to be instantly unarmed and not one to be paid attention to, the empty holster is as telling as the gun that it carried.

Something that is often done by those who venture into such environments routinely is to wipe all fingerprints off the cartridges and reinsert them into the magazines with gloves on. It is also interesting to note that polygonal bores such as found on certain pistols do not mark the projectile as do standard lands-and-grooves barrel. The end result is that it is more difficult to determine from which pistol a certain bullet came.

With regards to knives, they should be very very sharp and not used for routine day to day chores. They should be hidden and remain hidden until they are needed. I've seen guys whip out a $300 custom folder when some soccer mom asks if anyone has a knife to open a box of cookies. Stupid.

The knife should be inexpensive and easily replaced. The idea that you may have to ditch your knife should be remembered before you choose between that high dollar custom and the Spyderco Endura to carry in the NPE.

Finally, above the software and hardware is the background work. Have a plan, and follow it. If something goes wrong it should not surprise you but rather you should have thought of it before and planned for it. Be smart, be low profile, but be ready. Your safety and that of those around you whom you care about is in your hands alone. No one else will come to help you at such times.

Gabe Suarez

...With regards to knives, they should be very very sharp and not used for routine day to day chores. They should be hidden and remain hidden until they are needed. I've seen guys whip out a $300 custom folder when some soccer mom asks if anyone has a knife to open a box of cookies. Stupid.

The knife should be inexpensive and easily replaced. The idea that you may have to ditch your knife should be remembered before you choose between that high dollar custom and the Spyderco Endura to carry in the NPE. ...

I disagree with this first paragraph. I think familiarity is very important. You should know how it feels and handles. The only way to this is to use it constantly. I agree with the sharp part.

As for the second part, I don't know what NPE means, but I was told to never throw away your defense.

I disagree with this first paragraph. I think familiarity is very important. You should know how it feels and handles. The only way to this is to use it constantly. I agree with the sharp part.

As for the second part, I don't know what NPE means, but I was told to never throw away your defense.

"Carrying In The Non-Permissive Environment"?

And I suspect you'd be more than happy to ditch that knife if you noticed the heavily armed police heading your way for a "chat". Maybe you could recover it later, but not if you're dead or being interrogated in some basement.

Ken

I think the idea is to not flip out a large folder in front of
a bunch of sheeple and attract unecessary attention.

I know this from experience after waiting 10 minutes for
a set of silverware at a TGI fridays.... with a hot
steak in front of me. well, I was pretty
livid at this point so I opened my CQC-8 and started
eating my steak with it. When the busperson came by
with the silverware finally about 4 minutes later she had
this look of OMGWTFBBQ?!!? on her face. Definitely
something not to be done frequently, especially not in
front of soccer mom types. Sheeple do not like large
knives.

NPE = non permissive environment... generally speaking
an NPE can be a whole bunch of different things... the classic
example is any number of numerous "turd world" countries
where if you defend yourself, not getting caught
is preferable to dealing with the police, even if you were
in the right. (in the turd world the police/legal system is
often just as bad as the criminals are, sometimes worse! )

The idea behind having something that is easily tossable,
in that situation, is obvious.

-Mike

Nice read and some good thoughts to be sure. I think you're right - it does need to be written. Anyone who says they "never think of it" must be kidding.

I work in an extremely NPE - not in a third world country sense, but in a political sense, (I work in an extremely Liberal laden profession). I spend my days in some very bad areas as that is where my job is when I leave my office. I carry 5-days a week at work and not a soul knows. I kind of follow the middle of the road when it comes to knives. I have no Spyderco and no desire to own one. I carry a small Cold Steel in tandem with my gun which was not cheap, but I would not hesitate to toss. As much as I'd like to put my NRA, GOAL, S&W, Trijicon and other gun-related stickers on my car, I resist. The only place you'll se me wearing my Smith and Wesson hat is at the gun range.

Much like in the days when I "smoked", I didn't put out the vibe that I was a Dead Head and most people were surprised when they realized I was. I'm not comparing guns to partying, but I use the same concept now. I don't present as a "badass", therefore I am not noticed...If you ran into me on the streets, you'd never guess that I am armed and that's the way I like it....

The only place you'll se me wearing my Smith and Wesson hat is at the gun range.

That's too bad. I work for a company based out of CA, and has a VERY liberal give everyone a hug attitude. That still doesn't stop me from wearing my gun apparel to work. As a matter of fact, I am wearing THIS shirt today!

That's too bad. I work for a company based out of CA, and has a VERY liberal give everyone a hug attitude. That still doesn't stop me from wearing my gun apparel to work. As a matter of fact, I am wearing THIS shirt today!

My CA-based company isn't quite so squishy, but still manages to ban license holders from exercising their rights.

Well, I can't wear a T-shirt to work, but I may get an S&W button-down shirt to wear. Several of my cow-orkers know I am a gun-owner, but one of the other guys in my dept who works out in MI gets some serious ribbing because he's very upfront about going hunting, etc. I'm looking forward to meeting him when he's here next month. Maybe I can drag him to the range one day...

Anyway, his manager was saying on a conf call the other day about how he was in the woods with his *gasp* SEMI-AUTO! [rolleyes]

I think they'd sh*t green if they looked into my gunsafes.

Probably one of the best defenses is not enter the NPE. I, personally, have no desire or intention to travel to any countries where the local gendarme regularly carry automatic weapons. [thinking]

Other than that, I try to be low key out amoungst the English.. [wink] Except for my Green Lantern hat. Does that mark me as a gun carrier or superhero? [rolleyes]

Probably one of the best defenses is not enter the NPE. I, personally, have no desire or intention to travel to any countries where the local gendarme regularly carry automatic weapons. [thinking]

Other than that, I try to be low key out amoungst the English.. [wink] Except for my Green Lantern hat. Does that mark me as a gun carrier or superhero? [rolleyes]

Actually Israel is quite pleasant to visit. Both their well-armed soldiers and LEOs (depends on what's happening) carry F/A but they also have smiles on their faces. Unless you fit a terrorist profile, they are not imposing or anyone to fear.

Contrast this to my experiences at the Caracas Venezuela airport (in transit) many years ago. Venezuelan women are gorgeous and really know how to party when they are in a "free atmosphere"! Never again will I step foot on their soil!

Actually Israel is quite pleasant to visit. Both their well-armed soldiers and LEOs (depends on what's happening) carry F/A but they also have smiles on their faces. Unless you fit a terrorist profile, they are not imposing or anyone to fear.
I'm sure they are, but the point is they DO carry F/A. That means bad things are happening close that I don't want to participate in.

I'm sure they are, but the point is they DO carry F/A. That means bad things are happening close that I don't want to participate in.

Actually because they're carrying F/A and a lot of other honest people are carrying as well, not that many bad things happen.

Ken

As Ken says . . .

When I was first in Israel as part of a LE group, as guests of the IDF & Israeli Police, the Police Commander of the Haifa District told us that anytime anything happens in Israel, it's broadcast in the US as a "big story". Whereas lots of stuff happens here in the US that goes unnoticed every day.

Those troops/officers on the street corners and in the malls in Israel make sure that folks stay safe.

Israel has been the most friendliest to Americans place I've ever been. With the shit that's possible over there I was at ease with their show of force.

Haifa's a fun place.

As I can see there is some controversy being handled here.

GOOD

Train with different weapons fixed blades and folders, handguns & hand to hand methods and you will always be prepared and ready for what may come your way.

The "NPE" is every where if we have not noticed.

I have been fortunate to have traveled to many US States and to many South of the border countries and there is a very definate NPE in every country. And a need for the common tourist to be prepared and ready... First rule of defense is never travel alone, Second be aware of your exit points at all time. Third keep your group together & aware. The internet gan give you the points of interest that you need to see and how to get there. RESEARCH your destination.

One needs to research what items that can be purchased in country for defense and left behind when there use is complete. Packing knives and an ASP or Manadonock expandable baton is easy when flying as well as your Handgun in country, but not when taking a Cruise they XRAY when bording the ship everytime you get back on the ship. I Scuba dive and bring a dive Knife with my dive gear always and have my dive destination booked before we get in country. Documentation and purpose. Its funny I purchased a Souviner Machete $12 Bucks US and walked around an island all day with it and they let me to bring it back on the ship. They didnt even blink and eye. There are lots of cheap pocket knives fixed and folder, Great news cheap disposable protection, Bamboo staffs are another common island tool etc.

One needs to make there own mind check when it comes to NPE just because it says its NPE doesnot mean it has to be. Discrete carry and dress is paramount.

Walk Softley and Carry a big stick...........

...a need for the common tourist to be prepared and ready...

...Packing knives ..., but not when taking a Cruise they XRAY when bording the ship everytime you get back on the ship. ...

I purchased a Souviner Machete $12 Bucks US and walked around an island all day with it and they let me to bring it back on the ship. They didnt even blink and eye. ...

Not sure which is which here. Knives OK or not? Things might have changed since Y2K, but before then, it wasn't so tight getting on board.

Seems like they've loosened up - they pulled a Leatherman tool out of my PACKED luggage two years ago, but last year they didn't notice the swiss army knife - even though the website specifically says no knives of any sort. They also don't pay a whole lot of attention to the X-ray machine in the Caribbean port.

Back
Top Bottom