Carrying in RI State Parks

Anyone know if it's actually illegal to carry in a RI state park if you have a CCW or is it treated as if you are trespassing on private property
and asked to leave ? I'm not a lawyer and would like to know for sure if park rules have the power of law and could you be arrested vs. asked to leave.

IANAL. handgunlaw.us is where I usually go as a starting point when carrying in a state I don't carry in regularly. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/rhodeisland.pdf

Carry In State Parks//WMA/Road Side Rest Areas & St. /Nat. ForestsCarry Allowed in these Areas:
State Parks: NO Park Rules and Regs Rule VIII Sec. 11 11.1
State/National Forests: NO Park Rules and Regs Rule VIII Sec. 11 11.1
State WMA’s: NO Park Rules and Regs Rule VIII Sec. 11 11.1
Road Side Rest Areas: YES

I did not follow the links to the Park Rules and Regs as referenced above nor do I know what force of law and penalty the regs have.

IANAL. handgunlaw.us is where I usually go as a starting point when carrying in a state I don't carry in regularly. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/rhodeisland.pdf

Carry In State Parks//WMA/Road Side Rest Areas & St. /Nat. ForestsCarry Allowed in these Areas:
State Parks: NO Park Rules and Regs Rule VIII Sec. 11 11.1
State/National Forests: NO Park Rules and Regs Rule VIII Sec. 11 11.1
State WMA’s: NO Park Rules and Regs Rule VIII Sec. 11 11.1
Road Side Rest Areas: YES

I did not follow the links to the Park Rules and Regs as referenced above nor do I know what force of law and penalty the regs have.

Section 11 – Firearms and Archery Equipment
11.1 Possession of a firearm or bow and arrow is prohibited in the state parks unless
otherwise authorized in these Regulations, see sections 11.1, 16.13 or with a
special use permit issued by the director or designee. In addition to above, blank
guns are permitted for the purpose of dog training in designated areas from
January 1
st
to September 30
th
11.2 Target shooting is prohibited except in designated areas by and in accordance
with official written permission from Fish and Wildlife Field Headquarters.
11.3 Possession of a loaded firearm, or firearm with magazine from which all shells or
cartridges have not been removed, in or on any vehicle or conveyance while in or
upon any part of a public reservation is prohibited.
11.4 No person shall hunt or trap or carry firearms within a public reservation unless in
possession of a valid hunting or trapping license and other official written
permission as required. (See Section 16, Hunting Regulations and current
Abstract of Wildlife Laws.)
11.5 Hunting is prohibited within areas so designated by appropriate signage.
11.6 Hunting is prohibited except in designated areas.
11.7 No hunting is permitted within five hundred (500) feet of camping areas, picnic
areas, ball fields, or occupied dwellings or structures, with the exception of
archery hunting for deer with a safety zone of 200 feet.

That's what I find confusing, I'm comfortable with the idea of being asked to leave if discovered (however unlikely) but I would not risk it if I were actually breaking the law.

Welcome to RI, where a conflict of state law happens quite often.

I don't encourage anyone to knowingly break the law, but in this case the laws are conflicting and the AG is pretty weak when it comes to prosecuting gun crimes. The AG often don't even prosecute drug dealers who carry a gun without a permit and who violate many gun laws that do NOT have any conflicting statutes.

Back
Top Bottom