• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying in NJ

Any NJ officers on here that can answer the following?

I'm planning on bringing my firearm on a trip to NJ, I am covered as a LEO(federal) under title 18 sec 926b. Are there any restrictions I should know about that leosa doesn't cover me on? Like mag capacity, certain restricted places, etc. thanks in advance.

I think it will all really depend on the officer; I was in Atlantic City a couple years back while still sworn and stopped to chat with a couple cops to get some advice on good places to hit (seriously, cops and hose-jockeys are the best people to ask) and they asked me if I was carrying, and the response when I said I was was "Oh good, don't walk around without it." Some officers I'm sure would be douches about it, but most will be cool regardless...just read the law itself (and then CARRY a copy of it with you...juuuuuuust in case).

LEOSA does not release you from magazine capacity requirements (I do not remember if NJ has that or not) but it DOES overrule NJ's prohibition against hollow points as the latest revision of the law defined ammo as part of your firearm--unfortunately, they did not include magazines in that definition. Cops on the street won't care, but it could jam you up if you get involved with something.

In NJ I would carry a J-frame snub, K-frame 4", N-frame 4", or equivalent Ruger/Colt revolver, or any M1911 variant/clone. They all worked well before 1987, so why worry about carrying a silly hi-cap wonder gun?

Any NJ officers on here that can answer the following?

I'm planning on bringing my firearm on a trip to NJ, I am covered as a LEO(federal) under title 18 sec 926b. Are there any restrictions I should know about that leosa doesn't cover me on? Like mag capacity, certain restricted places, etc. thanks in advance.

So, that would mean NJ cops are protected in Mass?.............[rofl2]

Massachusetts doesn't give two shits about anybody other than their illegals and that a**h***, Deval. I have LEO friends that fly to Manchester specifically to avoid this shithole state..

And Massachusetts is better than NJ....what's that tell you?

Last edited:
I'll say this; any officer who arrests an out of state officer covered by LEOSA is going to be looking at the wrong end of a 42USC1983 action. Most officers in MA won't screw another cop. Hopefully they wouldn't screw anyone else intentionally either, but there is a lot of misinformation out there. Plus, some cops (like some firefighters, bankers, grocers, dentists, *insert other profession here*) are a-holes. Simple fact of life, albeit an unfortunate one.

LEOSA does not release you from magazine capacity requirements (I do not remember if NJ has that or not) but it DOES overrule NJ's prohibition against hollow points as the latest revision of the law defined ammo as part of your firearm--unfortunately, they did not include magazines in that definition. Cops on the street won't care, but it could jam you up if you get involved with something.

NJ has a 15 round magazine limit, I believe. You'd probably get more current information at www.njgunforums.com.

I'll say this; any officer who arrests an out of state officer covered by LEOSA is going to be looking at the wrong end of a 42USC1983 action. Most officers in MA won't screw another cop. Hopefully they wouldn't screw anyone else intentionally either, but there is a lot of misinformation out there. Plus, some cops (like some firefighters, bankers, grocers, dentists, *insert other profession here*) are a-holes. Simple fact of life, albeit an unfortunate one.
Put the two bolded statements together, and perhaps you can begin to see the problem. Good cop that defends bad cop = bad cop

I love how every LE thread devolves into this ^ [rolleyes]

To the OP, my vote is to spend your tax dollars in a state that views you as a human with a life worth defending.

I'll say this; any officer who arrests an out of state officer covered by LEOSA is going to be looking at the wrong end of a 42USC1983 action.

This isn't how it usually works though, the thugs down in NY or NJ are smarter than that. They sometimes "detain" someone while the LEO is identified, which basically is just a bunch of crap designed to annoy the LEO into never carrying on LEOSA in NJ ever again.

The only way to operate in NJ or NY (or some other scumbag state) as a LEO carrying under LEOSA, is to "fly low and stay below the radar."

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom