• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying in Boston

Jeezum Crow. Concealed means concealed.

Stay off campus, I wouldn't worry about hospitals unless you are toting a Desert Eagle with a T shirt over it, and don't wear your " I am carrying a gun" hat.

Lol, seriously?

Is the building the restaurant is in part of the campus or not? (my guess is, no) That's pretty much the beginning and the end of it. 269-10J doesn't have "cooties" and infect things it touches. [rofl]

BTW the few cases I've seen where someone got busted for MGL-269-10J someone was actually traipsing around on campus (for example, there was that guy that got busted with the 2 handguns after he turned around at the security checkpoint at the graduation last year or whenever it was).

The biggest "sneaky" risk to most people with 269-10J is if you're operating as a pedestrian, don't take shortcuts through college campuses. The risk there is pretty obvious.

-Mike
wtf.jpg

Jeezum Crow. Concealed means concealed.

Stay off campus, I wouldn't worry about hospitals unless you are toting a Desert Eagle with a T shirt over it, and don't wear your " I am carrying a gun" hat.

So this is a no..? I always laugh at those shirts on Facebook. Why would you want to be a walking billboard?
texas_concealed_carry_2_yes_i_am_tshirt-p235974956335065349t5tr_400.jpg

We've only covered this maybe two million times. A teaching hospital is NOT a school. It's a hospital.

Some of these places will have signs up that say it's illegal to carry and threats of arrest when MGLs prove them otherwise.

It sucks that you'd prolly be arrested, you'd likely win your case, but then you'd have some splainin' to do at your next renewal.

Some of these places will have signs up that say it's illegal to carry and threats of arrest when MGLs prove them otherwise.

It sucks that you'd prolly be arrested, you'd likely win your case, but then you'd have some splainin' to do at your next renewal.

What would you have to explain? That you were doing exactly what your license lets you do?

I've never seen a sign at a teaching hospital saying it's illegal to carry and threatening arrest. VA campuses are the exception, as they're covered by a federal regulation.

This is why I'm not a lawyer - I can't begin to count the number of times I've read Boston's AWB and never realized that the mag limit didn't mention handguns. Thanks!!

I was about to say. I've read the Boston AWB up an down. Never once does it mention a handgun.

I've debated long and hard about this. But if you were to never mate a Tavor to a 30-rd preban, is it a non-Boston AWB firearm? You could possess it, no?

(h) any other semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding ten rounds

ETA: so If you have a pre 1989 rifle magazine, that's larger than 10 rds - is it banned by the Boston AWB? It predates the ban.

I've never seen a sign at a teaching hospital saying it's illegal to carry and threatening arrest.
The only such sign I have seen was at the Marlboro gun show threatening arrest for trespass if caught with ammo (but, presumably, exempting ammo bought at the show).

I have yet to see any case of trespass by formula (welcoming someone while concurrently putting them on notice violation of house rules constitutes criminal trespass).

What would you have to explain? That you were doing exactly what your license lets you do?

I've never seen a sign at a teaching hospital saying it's illegal to carry and threatening arrest. VA campuses are the exception, as they're covered by a federal regulation.

I may, or may not have been all over MGH a couple of weeks ago, and didn't see a single sign forbidding guns anywhere.

Good to see that there are some real smarts at MIT. I'm sure it'd be a little tough to petition the MIT CoP.

It's not the COP that gives permission, it is the "head of the school" (who can designate that job to anyone he pleases) per MGL.

Yes and don't forget lots of Hospitals are "Teaching Hospitals"

We've only covered this maybe two million times. A teaching hospital is NOT a school. It's a hospital.

Yeah, and my doctor's office is a teaching office too! He brings in rotations of nursing assistant students, every 2 weeks a different batch. So what! As Gary stated, a hospital is NOT a school!

Never seen such a sign. I've been in MGH, DFCI, BWH, Caritas, BMC, etc. not one such sign visible. Regardless of any sign, MGL gives no legal authority to any such sign.

without reading through all the posts - this may have been mentioned - but Boston has some weird things - I don't believe you are allowed to carry on the Boston Common - but just mind your business and you should be fine.

I recall this being mentioned during one of the gatherings at the state house...

without reading through all the posts - this may have been mentioned - but Boston has some weird things - I don't believe you are allowed to carry on the Boston Common - but just mind your business and you should be fine.

I recall this being mentioned during one of the gatherings at the state house...

Was the old law requiring anyone crossing Boston Common to be in possession of a rifle ever repealed?

I believe it's an old blue law, something like a $50 fine. Keep your mouth shut, gun concealed and no worries.

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

I was about to say. I've read the Boston AWB up an down. Never once does it mention a handgun.

I've debated long and hard about this. But if you were to never mate a Tavor to a 30-rd preban, is it a non-Boston AWB firearm? You could possess it, no?

ETA: so If you have a pre 1989 rifle magazine, that's larger than 10 rds - is it banned by the Boston AWB? It predates the ban.
I think you're in the clear with a Tavor if you don't out mags >10 into it. But I'm clearly not a lawyer.

I believe it's an old blue law, something like a $50 fine. Keep your mouth shut, gun concealed and no worries.

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

I don't know how new/old it is (Boston Common prohibition) but I'm willing to bet that there were 100s of guns on Boston Common during the GOAL rally I attended in 1999! [There were 5000 of us that showed up for that one.]

I used to walk in there and thru there for many years while working and going to grad school in that area. Never saw anyone searched for guns there!

I think you're in the clear with a Tavor if you don't out mags >10 into it. But I'm clearly not a lawyer.

Re: Boston AWB (1989)
The easiest way to read this can be found here.
http://archives.lib.state.ma.us/actsResolves/1989/1989acts0596.pdf

Do we have definitions for "fixed magazine capacity" and "fixed ammunition"? Does that just mean any modern cartridge?

Is a Ruger 10/22 an assault weapon in Boston because magazines with capacity greater than ten rounds exist?

The entire AW section is, quite frankly, nonsensical because various parts contradict each other. For example shotguns that hold over six rounds are AWs but pump guns are not AWs... So is a 9-shot pump shotgun legal or not?

Edit: I would argue that only semi-autos are subject to any AWB provisions; therefore a 9-shot pump-action shotgun is legal.

Last edited:
Do we have definitions for "fixed magazine capacity" and "fixed ammunition"? Does that just mean any modern cartridge?

Is a Ruger 10/22 an assault weapon in Boston because magazines with capacity greater than ten rounds exist?

The entire AW section is, quite frankly, nonsensical because various parts contradict each other. For example shotguns that hold over six rounds are AWs but pump guns are not AWs... So is a 9-shot pump shotgun legal or not?

Edit: I would argue that only semi-autos are subject to any AWB provisions; therefore a 9-shot pump-action shotgun is legal.

(i) any other shotgun with a fixed magazine, cylinder, drum or tube capacity exceeding six rounds; and

We have no guidance other than the words in that bylaw. Nonsensical? Yes!

I discuss it in my MA Gun Law Seminar. To the best of everyone's knowledge nobody has ever been prosecuted under this bylaw.

This. Use special caution if you take the T or Commuter Rail and get off at Ruggles. You are surrounded by Northeastern campus. Stay on the public sidewalk, no shortcuts through the campus.
Come now, you really don't need a gun in that neighborhood anyways. It's a pretty safe area, what with BPD headquarters only walking distance away.....
[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

I may, or may not have been all over MGH a couple of weeks ago, and didn't see a single sign forbidding guns anywhere.
I'm at MGH constantly and don't even LOOK for any signs. Nor any "policies". Or rules. Or (etc).... If people are "nervous" about carrying somewhere, anywhere, just tell them to leave their gun at home, then make a "T" ("Timeout!!!") sign with their hands when the scumball pulls a knife or starts shooting up the cafeteria, take the commuter rail home, grab a gun, return and open fire with it.
Or, easier, just don't carry even if you have a LTC, and then if the sh*t hits the fan just "run into the woods" like one member (a GUN OWNER! ) suggested here in this forum recently.

Jesus. It's MA.... Everywhere is a "gun free zone" in this sh*thole.
Abide, comply, follow.
And Die.
(+1)

Last edited:

I won't walk through Boston Common at night without a gun.

The last time I recall walking thru there in the dark, most of the "street lights' in the Common weren't working and I had my hand on my gun (in my pocket) and was still on edge. That was >30 years ago. After that, at night I walk around the Common!

No signs at the MGH as of 1100 this morning. I think that Ambulance Entrance at BMC has a "No Weapons of any kind" sign, but that's the only one I can remember ever seeing in Boston. The only other one I ever saw was at the old St. Luke's Emergency Room, but that was never replaced when they rebuilt the ED about 20 years ago.

The only medical school that is within a hospital is BU. There are clearly marked signs that tell you when you're leaving the hospital and entering the school and vice versa. The hospital is patrolled by the unarmed Boston Medical Center Police, the school is patrolled by the armed BU Police. The other two medical schools in Boston are clearly separate from the hospitals. TMS is in a building that has hospital property on either side, but it's detached from those building. HMS has a campus that is next to Childrens and sort of behind Brigham. It's obvious that the medical school is a separate building. Again, the school is patrolled by Harvard University Police, while Childrens, Brighams, and the other hospitals in the Longwood area have private security of some sort or another.

I'm at MGH constantly and don't even LOOK for any signs. Nor any "policies". Or rules. Or (etc).... If people are "nervous" about carrying somewhere, anywhere, just tell them to leave their gun at home, then make a "T" ("Timeout!!!") sign with their hands when the scumball pulls a knife or starts shooting up the cafeteria, take the commuter rail home, grab a gun, return and open fire with it.
Or, easier, just don't carry even if you have a LTC, and then if the sh*t hits the fan just "run into the woods" like one member (a GUN OWNER! ) suggested here in this forum recently.

Jesus. It's MA.... Everywhere is a "gun free zone" in this sh*thole.
Abide, comply, follow.
And Die.
(+1)

Re: Boston AWB (1989)
The easiest way to read this can be found here.
http://archives.lib.state.ma.us/actsResolves/1989/1989acts0596.pdf

I've read this several times - and it kind of irritates me that GOAL doesn't actually update the spelling errors from the horrible OCR/Copy Paste job from the PDF to the website.

"09" should be "(j)"
"Cm)" should be "(m)"

I'm sure if someone went over it with a fine tooth comb, they might find some more significant errors.

Why?
It must be safe... Usually every night you'll see yuppie chicks or students etc, strolling through there - at night - with their headphones on, heads down, and their face buried in their smartphone... What could possibly go wrong? Besides, most have phones and can Just Call 911..

Come now, you really don't need a gun in that neighborhood anyways. It's a pretty safe area, what with BPD headquarters only walking distance away.....
[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Yea, it's safe through there (for the criminals). Watched a 15 year old boy get knifed there while waiting for a bus. Real safe there. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom