Carrying in Boston

I know someone in Boston that claims that it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon in Boston. Does anyone here know if this is is true? I told him that I thought it was bull.

TIA, Jim

Large cap mags - even pre-ban - are prohibited in Boston.

Can we have some verification on this?

Yes, I want to see it too! [rolleyes]

There are lots of BS rumors about Boston laws out there and sadly many believe them.

Cite the law on this, but read it for yourself very carefully before citing it here to be sure that it says what you think it does.

" In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer a large capacity magazine or a large capacity ammunition belt"

" In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer a large capacity magazine or a large capacity ammunition belt"

Just above that:

"(4) "Large capacity magazine", a box, drum, or other container which holds more than ten rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously into a semi-automatic rifle or shotgun or a magazine which can be readily converted into a large capacity magazine."

Look above that. The definition of large capacity magazine is:

(4) "Large capacity magazine", a box, drum, or other container which holds more than ten rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously into a semi-automatic rifle or shotgun or a magazine which can be readily converted into a large capacity magazine.

ibtl.jpg

Interesting. So you're saying the statute narrowly defined large cap mags within the context of long guns only. I see what you're saying. I wonder if there is any case law to confirm this.

Don't worry, you're not the first person to get that wrong.

Interesting. So you're saying the statute narrowly defined large cap mags within the context of long guns only. I see what you're saying. I wonder if there is any case law to confirm this.

It seems pretty black and white to me. You could try going to Roxbury w/ your pre-ban (handgun) high cap, sans ammunition and asking at HQ if it's cool. But no, I don't know of any cases where this has been proven wrong.

I think the statute is clear and my understanding of the text was wrong.

Of course, for practical purposes I'd like to know what is defensible in a Massachusetts court.

The chapter being referenced in your link is:
Chapter 596.

AN ACT RELATIVE TO ASSAULT WEAPONS IN THE CITY OF BOSTON.

and the it goes on to explain an assault weapon is:
(1) "Assault weapon", all rifles and shotguns designated as assault weapons in this section and all other semi-automatic rifles and shotguns which are determined by the assault weapon roster board, established under the provisions of section five, to be assault weapons. Such term shall include, in addition to any other rifles and shotguns identified by said board, all versions of the following, including rifles and shotguns sold under the designation provided in this section and rifles and shotguns which are substantially identical thereto sold under any designation:-

No where is a handgun mentioned.

Geez. Read the link.

(4) "Large capacity magazine", a box, drum, or other container which holds more than ten rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously into a semi-automatic rifle or shotgun or a magazine which can be readily converted into a large capacity magazine.

Note the absence of the words "handgun" or "firearm".

1) "Assault weapon", all rifles and shotguns designated as assault weapons in this section and all other semi-automatic rifles and shotguns which are determined by the assault weapon roster board, established under the provisions of section five, to be assault weapons. Such term shall include, in addition to any other rifles and shotguns identified by said board, all versions of the following, including rifles and shotguns sold under the designation provided in this section and rifles and shotguns which are substantially identical thereto sold under any designation:-

Note the absence of the words "handgun" or "firearm".

The only place that pistols could be construed to be covered is if they are based on a rifle action, such as an AK or AR based pistol. The references to large capacity magazines specifically relate to magazines for rifles or shotguns, not hand guns or firearms.

I'd suggest that you go back and read the entire ordinance in context.

Back
Top Bottom