Carrying in bars in Boston

Just realize that if you are involved in something at a bar that causes you to be a "person of interest" to the local police, when they "run you" (thru the computer system, looking for warrants or past "activity") they may well see that you have a LTC (depending on what screen they look at) and notify your issuing chief of the disturbance. That might result in the loss of your permit as "unsuitable" even if you didn't have a gun with you at the time.

May not happen often, but it could happen!

Best to avoid trouble at all costs. Sitting down to eat with family/friends in a restaurant is a much safer alternative, whether you have a beer or two with dinner or not.

Just realize that if you are involved in something at a bar that causes you to be a "person of interest" to the local police, when they "run you" (thru the computer system, looking for warrants or past "activity") they may well see that you have a LTC (depending on what screen they look at) and notify your issuing chief of the disturbance. That might result in the loss of your permit as "unsuitable" even if you didn't have a gun with you at the time.

Best to avoid trouble at all costs. Sitting down to eat with family/friends in a restaurant is a much safer alternative, whether you have a beer or two with dinner or not.

just breathing could make you unsuitable in this state!

That's interesting LenS...does this mean a LEO would know I have an LTC if pulled over in a traffic stop???

That's interesting LenS...does this mean a LEO would know I have an LTC if pulled over in a traffic stop???

It doesn't come up on the first screen they see and I am not certain that every cruiser has the added capability, but the dispatcher can definitely run a screen that will show your LTC and even get the list of all firearms in the CHSB system if they want to.

Just saying that although they won't usually do this on a simple traffic stop, if you get picked up in a bar fight or some other altercation, they may well dig a bit deeper and report it to your local chief with a "suggestion" about suitability. It pays not to frequent troublesome places.

It doesn't come up on the first screen they see and I am not certain that every cruiser has the added capability, but the dispatcher can definitely run a screen that will show your LTC and even get the list of all firearms in the CHSB system if they want to.

Just saying that although they won't usually do this on a simple traffic stop, if you get picked up in a bar fight or some other altercation, they may well dig a bit deeper and report it to your local chief with a "suggestion" about suitability. It pays not to frequent troublesome places.

an unrestricted License to carry is not a permit to do something like stupid like to to known troublesome places you dont normally go to just because you feel that you are somehow invincible. Its still prudent to watch your as and be picky about where you go, etc.

I'm not from Mass, but I'll throw my .02 in. I'm not trying to teach a DUI class here, but this will tie in to carrying...eventually! The DUI laws of most states usually have a specific level of % blood-alcohol content that they consider to be a level of Per Se "intoxication". In other words, when you hit that level you're automatically considered intoxicated by statute. Some folks can beat the case on a variety of technicalities, but most just take the hit. However, my state also has a few lines in CGS 14-227a that say that your "ability to safely operate a vehicle has been impaired by the consumption of alcoholic beverages". So, the bottom line is that you can be arrested and convicted of DUI, whether you blow or not. The probable cause of the arrest is made on a totality of the circumstances, the observed operation of the vehicle (traffic violations), contact with the operator (smell, slurring, confusion), pre-exit screening (finger counting, count down test), field sobriety tests, & breathalyzer results. So, when folks quote from a statute and say "I'm not at .08 BAC, so I'm safe" while carrying a firearm, the same standards will be applied. What brought on the police contact? A fight, loud yelling, etc. Can alcohol be perceived as contributing to the event? Was there an odor of alcoholic beverages on your person? Bloodshot eyes, slurred speach, problems with coordination. It doesn't matter if you blow or not, if you were intoxicated to an observable degree you're going to be spending some money on a lawyer. Even if you don't get arrested, your permit will be seized and sent to a board of review.

...So now I have to stop sniffing glue as well??? WTF![frown]

airplanetwo107.jpeg

[laugh2]

Firstly, we need to stop with the "DUI" acronym, since we are not driving. We are "carrying".

So, let us call it "CUI".

What does that mean, exactly?

If I were in a bar and have had a few drinks, and were "CUI", through whatever definition of the statute you would choose to invent, and a terrible crime against another person started happening, what would the right thing to do be?

Sit back and allow the other patron to be victimized simply because I fear MG statutes?

Utilize my firearm for the sake of protecting persons or property?

Fear that if I were to help defend the common good while I was "CUI", I would be charged with a crime?

How much of this stuff goes through one's mind when you have 5 seconds to decide whether you must decide whether or not you may act based upon what you know of, or think, the law will do to you, how the law will work in your favor, if you do or do not act?

How you may suddenly, in those 5 seconds, delay any action to defend life and liberty simply because of the legality of it, and then see that the other life has been taken because of your inaction?

In the long and short of it, if I were "CUI" and I was then witness to a heinous crime against another innocent victim, I would not hesitate to use my firearm to protect said life.

The judicial system could then hang me out to dry because I did not follow, or broke, some inane "statute".

But my conscience would be clear. And when one is on his/her deathbed, re-experiencing his/her life, that is all that truly matters.

Justice.

Firstly, we need to stop with the "DUI" acronym, since we are not driving. We are "carrying".

So, let us call it "CUI".

What does that mean, exactly?

If I were in a bar and have had a few drinks, and were "CUI", through whatever definition of the statute you would choose to invent, and a terrible crime against another person started happening, what would the right thing to do be?

Sit back and allow the other patron to be victimized simply because I fear MG statutes?

Utilize my firearm for the sake of protecting persons or property?

Fear that if I were to help defend the common good while I was "CUI", I would be charged with a crime?

How much of this stuff goes through one's mind when you have 5 seconds to decide whether you must decide whether or not you may act based upon what you know of, or think, the law will do to you, how the law will work in your favor, if you do or do not act?

How you may suddenly, in those 5 seconds, delay any action to defend life and liberty simply because of the legality of it, and then see that the other life has been taken because of your inaction?

In the long and short of it, if I were "CUI" and I was then witness to a heinous crime against another innocent victim, I would not hesitate to use my firearm to protect said life.

The judicial system could then hang me out to dry because I did not follow, or broke, some inane "statute".

But my conscience would be clear. And when one is on his/her deathbed, re-experiencing his/her life, that is all that truly matters.

Justice.

lets say after 2 or 3 drinks... you aren't "legally" able to make sound decisions based on have a "point" watever BAC.

hence, I wouldn't be carrying (for my own sanity)... there are too many variable w/o the booze on board to begin with (IMO), just like the others, i think OC is a safer in this instance.. i don't even think OC is a good idea. having been in a couple few bar fights, the other party will lie or make accusations (he jumped me for no reason ect..).. so if your legally drunk and pepper or mace some chucklehead... what are the cops gonna do?

for me, i'd be carrying NOTHING but $cash and an ID. sometimes we have to be willing to "throw them thangs" as they say (fist to fist)..

lets say after 2 or 3 drinks... you aren't "legally" able to make sound decisions based on have a "point" watever BAC.

hence, I wouldn't be carrying (for my own sanity)... there are too many variable w/o the booze on board to begin with (IMO), just like the others, i think OC is a safer in this instance.. i don't even think OC is a good idea. having been in a couple few bar fights, the other party will lie or make accusations (he jumped me for no reason ect..).. so if your legally drunk and pepper or mace some chucklehead... what are the cops gonna do?

for me, i'd be carrying NOTHING but $cash and an ID. sometimes we have to be willing to "throw them thangs" as they say (fist to fist)..

+1. I was in one fight ever in public (someone tried to jump my friend in Boston while he bent down to tie his shoe as we walekd ahead) and the only reason is that we made it out of there, we were willing to get down and dirty with it. The guy had his back to us, so we looked my friend in the eye as the guy was holding him up and took him down so fast he didn tknow what hit him. The cops said we did the right thing, even after the guy tried to tell the cop that we all tried to jump him.

I can only imagine what wouldve happened if we tried to OC him or something, Im sure the story the BG said wouldve stuck much better and we coudlve landed ourselves with some issues.

"How you may suddenly, in those 5 seconds, delay any action to defend life and liberty simply because of the legality of it, and then see that the other life has been taken because of your inaction?" If only life was that clear. I'm pretty sure everyone has good intentions and wants to do the right thing, but the the reality of this stuff is that you're opening yourself up to criminal and civil prosecution. How well do you think you shoot when you're 100% straight? Well, the stats say folks miss quite a bit. If you clip someone accidently and have been drinking, someone will be living in your house...probably the relatives of the guy you shot. The reality is you're not going to shoot anyone, you're probably going to have a minor incident in which someone "bothers" you and a little pushing goes on. Maybe your jacket gets pulled or your shirt rides up, someone sees a gun and calls the police. At this point it really doesn't matter what went on. All that the report will say is that two men were fighting in a bar and one of them was armed. I have seen this. If you're going to a bar and grill fine, but if your going to a place that only serves alcohol you're running some risks.

No offense, but if you have to lock up the firearms before you have a glass or two of wine or beer, maybe it's time to quit drinking. Do you lock up the car keys and tape off the stove controls as well?

Well said [smile]

Back
Top Bottom