• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying in a vehicle with a class a ltc with a restriction

Perhaps the question posed should be directed at the LEO community. From what I understand, (I am not a lawyer or even a terribly smart people) it's not a law that's being broken, but a restriction put in place by the Boston COP because 'Boston'. If a Brookline, Newton, or Weston officer pulls over a class A licensed Boston resident carrying with a restriction, what are they going to do? If the LTC holder is polite, compliant, and honest are they going to contact BPD to get the license revoked? There's no crime, no charges, just getting the LTC revoked for carrying when not supposed to (from what I understand). Is the fact that as a Boston resident you've had an in-person interview, been to Moon Island to shoot some .38 with the PoPo (must qualify!), and waited close to 9 months for the entire ordeal to be over, entirely moot?
Honest question.

I have a class a ltc with a restriction to target and hunting. Unfortunately I live in Boston and they will not allow an unrestricted license. Can I carry on my person inside my vehicle the same as a person without a restriction? I can’t find a clear answer. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Boston should have provided a letter with your license describing their interpretation of a no carry license to carry. It used to say "no CC to and from a range" explicitly.

"If a Brookline, Medford, or Watertown officer pulls over a class A licensed Boston resident carrying with a restriction, what are they going to do?

Notify Boston's licensing division deliberating trying to make trouble even if none is warranted because they are creeps.

Boston should have provided a letter with your license describing their interpretation of a no carry license to carry. It used to say "no CC to and from a range" explicitly.

Notify Boston's licensing division deliberating trying to make trouble even if none is warranted because they are creeps.

They do not, at least not as of 21 months ago.
(I just checked all my paperwork, just a letter with the PIN and an FAQ sheet regarding Class A, large capacity feeding device, BS like that)

Perhaps the question posed should be directed at the LEO community. From what I understand, (I am not a lawyer or even a terribly smart people) it's not a law that's being broken, but a restriction put in place by the Boston COP because 'Boston'. If a Brookline, Newton, or Weston officer pulls over a class A licensed Boston resident carrying with a restriction, what are they going to do? If the LTC holder is polite, compliant, and honest are they going to contact BPD to get the license revoked? There's no crime, no charges, just getting the LTC revoked for carrying when not supposed to (from what I understand). Is the fact that as a Boston resident you've had an in-person interview, been to Moon Island to shoot some .38 with the PoPo (must qualify!), and waited close to 9 months for the entire ordeal to be over, entirely moot?
Honest question.
Yes, it is a violation of the law. Unfortunately :mad:

As to the second question - Brookline, probably yes. Brookline takes pride in doing all it can to undermine carry, including refusing to expire licenses of persons who move to more accommodating towns.

If you ever have to use the gun defensively, you can count on the system and the media emphasizing the fact that you were not authorized to carry for protection by your license, and chances are the judge will not rule that bit of trivia "irrelevant to guilt or innocence regarding the claimed defensive use" and the ADA will run with it.

Chapter 140 Section 131 reads in part:

(a) A license shall entitle a holder thereof of a license to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority considers proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as it considers proper. A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to a violation of this paragraph.

(d) A person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to the licensing authority or the colonel of state police an application for a license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority or the colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person as set forth in this section to be issued a license and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant or the applicant's property or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to the restrictions expressed or authorized under this section.

Last edited:
FWIW, this is direct from the BPD website:

Each type notes travel to and from activity location is covered. Perhaps Boston now uses this default letter vs their own?

Restricted from Medford here, I have never asked them to clarify but I guarantee they would say no carrying of any kind in MA. When I go to the range, my firearm(s) are in a locked container in the trunk.

Back
Top Bottom