• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying concealed on MBTA question

yanici

NES Member
Hi guys, new member and waiting (6 weeks so far) for my LTC. My question is whether or not it is lawful to carry on a public bus, train, trolley, etc. I know airports and airplanes are out but I can't find any prohibition to carrying on the MBTA system. I've sent the MBTA two e-mails asking about their policy regarding this issue and got no responce. Thanks.

John

The only people who can not carry on the T are employees.

I have never seen any directive about the public not being allowed to lawfully carry.

Besides depending on what part of the system you go on, chances are a good percentage of the people around you have a weapon of some sort.

I keep a chock block close by.

Somewhere in the archives is a thread on this issue (not so long ago, as I recall) that included a quote from John Martino, Dep. Sup't MBTA PD (and a good guy), to the effect that a Massachusetts License to Carry is good throughout the state, which includes the MBTA.

Thanks for the input folks. I thought it was ok to carry but you gotta be careful. Late night in a subway station is a good place to have something on ya.

John

Off the top of my head, I know Georgia doesn't allow people to carry on public transit, but there's an insanely long list of places you can't carry in that state. A Georgia LTC is almost only a permit to keep a loaded gun in the car. [rolleyes]

Off the top of my head, I know Georgia doesn't allow people to carry on public transit, but there's an insanely long list of places you can't carry in that state. A Georgia LTC is almost only a permit to keep a loaded gun in the car.

Fortunately, your info is a bit out of date. Thanks to the efforts of the folks at www.georgiacarry.org, there is some good news to report:

At approximately 3 p.m. on May 14, 2008, Gov. Sonny Perdue signed HB 89 into law. The bill, sponsored and advocated by GCO, is the most important pro-gun legislation in the history of Georgia. When the bill takes effect on July 1, 2008, it no longer will be a separate crime, for people with firearms licenses to carry a firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol, on public transportation, or in state parks. The bill also relaxes car carry restrictions for people eligible for firearms licenses and tightens the time frames for issuance of firearms licenses by probate judges.

The author of the bill, Rep. Tim Bearden worked tirelessly to see it passed, and GCO thanks him for his unwavering support. Sen. John Douglas championed the bill in the senate. Both legislators recently received GCO’s Legislator of the Year and Senator of the Year awards, respectively. GCO congratulates the leadership and members of both the senate and the house for shepherding this important legislation, and the governor for signing it into law.
GCO also wishes to thank its many members who attended public hearings (that Maureen Downey of the AJC claims never occurred) and media events, and who contacted their legislators and the governor in support of the bill. Without the support of GCO members, this “dangerous bill” that makes Georgia “become less safe” (according to Ms. Downey) never would have been possible.

I have never been so happy to be wrong before! That's good to know. They still have a ton of places that they can't carry, but I'm glad to see that list get shorter.

Like I have always said, those of us who CAN carry here can do so in a huge number of places compared to some states.

Like I have always said, those of us who CAN carry here can do so in a huge number of places compared to some states.

Yup. When I talk to non-gun people they assume that states like Texas are all pro-gun, when in fact they have a ton of places you can't carry, open carry is a huge no-no, etc.

It's also just a reminder to me that this isn't a state-by-state battle, it needs to be a national fight for rights.

100% legal.
If you are drinking alcohol in a bag ,of any sort paper or plastic and not bothering anyone can the bus driver ask you and tell you to get off the bus? What if you tell the bus driver I don't have to show you what's in my bag ?

If you are drinking alcohol in a bag ,of any sort paper or plastic and not bothering anyone can the bus driver ask you and tell you to get off the bus? What if you tell the bus driver I don't have to show you what's in my bag ?
if you are minding your own business and not a problem we are not going to care, we have other things to worry about

You get on and become a PITA there are all sorts of creative ways we have to deal with you, including having other passengers throw you out the back door over the guard rail on the Lynn Marsh Road.

I think I've told this story before, it was in the mid 1990's, I am doing the last bus from Sullivan to Haymarket, down Bunker Hill St on a Saturday night

I get a drunk on the bus, I am not going to make a big deal out of it because I don't want to wait for TPD to show

I roll into Haymarket, my drunk gets off, I get on my radio to give a heads up to the last Lynn bus loading up not to let the guy on.

This was before we got the upgraded radios that ID'd themselves when you keyed the mic

Northside Dispatch comes on and wants to know who just said that, I ID myself by bus and badge, I figure I am going to be told to call the unrecorded line after I get back to the garage but no...

It seems the Lynn bus has a problem, they don't want him alone in the station, TPD and Supervisors are on the way... stay with him.

OK, So I shut the bus off, get off, leaving the passengers to get on without me .

I go over to the Lynn driver, who I knew from my time at Cabot Garage, we both did time in the hood together, he is a funny guy, straight shooter, not an ahole by any stretch of the imagination.

He tells me the guy in the front seat, right side is a problem, drunk, and potentially violent.

Everyone wants to get going as the last train has already gone thru and we can go except for he does not want to deal with the drunk all the way to Salem

So I start walking to the bus, the other driver advises against it, but I tell him I got it covered don't worry.

I go over to the bus and look up at a very large gentleman of color and he is not thrilled to see me

I get one of those "who da fuq are you" comments.

I explain to him I am his best friend

He responds " and how is that"

I reply that the TPD are on their way, and when they get here they may not arrest him, but they might place him in Protective Custody over at the station which was at the Cabot Yard at the time.

Again, he goes "so what"

My response is that the trains Don't run very early on Sundays, nor do the buses, so some T cop is going to decide you are sober at about 0500 and kick you loose on the edge of Southie with no way home, and at the mercy of some folks that may not be pleased to see a man of his color wandering around in South Boston at that time of day

All of a sudden he is up out of the seat, off the bus, and last seen running towards Government Center.

The Lynn driver runs over hops in the seat, hits the air button to close the doors, he is going out full throttle, I ran to my bus, did the same thing, watching my drunk passenger stumbling around and both buses run the red light getting out of the station just as the TPD comes around the corner with the blue lights on and the night bus supervisor close behind.

The Dispatcher wasn't very happy with us that we screwed out of the station before help arrived, but at that point it was easier to deal with him than it was with 2 buses with angry passengers who wanted to get home.

I had to write a report and call it in, I stated the passenger decided to leave of his own volition and since there was no longer a problem we left on our routes.

I didn't mention I encouraged him to get off the bus

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom