• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying, but forgot to carry LTC

JayMcB

NES Member
Assachusetts when necessary. NH when possible
If you forget your wallet when you leave the house, but are carrying, what are the ramifications if you are stopped or it is determined that your CCW isn't as concealed as you thought?

Had one of those 'oh shit' moments this morning when I went to reach to pay for my coffee, but didn't have my wallet, but was carrying.

Went home and got it; just wondering....

In my cell phone, I carry a photo of the front and back of my LTC and all my important forms of identification just in case.
It prolly won't make a difference if you get pinched by a stickler, but if you get someone who understands, it's something.

add'l thought: If I could only carry one: I would rather have my gun than my wallet....unless the wallet has a condom, then its a coin flip.

In my cell phone, I carry a photo of the front and back of my LTC and all my important forms of identification just in case.
It prolly won't make a difference if you get pinched by a stickler, but if you get someone who understands, it's something.

add'l thought: If I could only carry one: I would rather have my gun than my wallet....unless the wallet has a condom, then its a coin flip.

What is a condom?

I had this happen to a buddy. The cop was cool. He asked my buddy if he was comfortable leaving it at the station until he retrieved it. He was find with it. It was local, so not a big deal. But, as to official policy, who knows.

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

Generally, a LTC/FID is required to be presented "on demand" of a PO or other LEO...

MGL 140-129C said:
Any person who, while not being within the limits of his own property or residence, or such person whose property or residence is under lawful search, and who is not exempt under this section, shall on demand of a police officer or other law enforcement officer, exhibit his license to carry firearms, or his firearm identification card or receipt for fee paid for such card, or, after January first, nineteen hundred and seventy, exhibit a valid hunting license issued to him which shall bear the number officially inscribed of such license to carry or card if any. Upon failure to do so such person may be required to surrender to such officer said firearm, rifle or shotgun which shall be taken into custody as under the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine D, except that such firearm, rifle or shotgun shall be returned forthwith upon presentation within thirty days of said license to carry firearms, firearm identification card or receipt for fee paid for such card or hunting license as hereinbefore described. Any person subject to the conditions of this paragraph may, even though no firearm, rifle or shotgun was surrendered, be required to produce within thirty days said license to carry firearms, firearm identification card or receipt for fee paid for such card, or said hunting license, failing which the conditions of section one hundred and twenty-nine D will apply. Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from being prosecuted for any violation of this chapter.

General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 129C

More importantly, failure to present upon demand can end in arrest and prosecution.

It is then the individual's burden to raise an affirmative defense of being validly licensed.

If you forget your wallet when you leave the house, but are carrying, what are the ramifications if you are stopped or it is determined that your CCW isn't as concealed as you thought?

Had one of those 'oh shit' moments this morning when I went to reach to pay for my coffee, but didn't have my wallet, but was carrying.

Went home and got it; just wondering....

Execution on the side of the road.

Yea, I've heard of this before. Guy didn't forget his wallet, he forgot just his license and they confiscated a handgun and a shotgun and said pick 'em up at the station.

He showed up next day and I think they charged him storage or something. lol

I like this idea... the chances of me leaving my wallet and my cell phone at home are very slim. Reps inbound.

Oh ! McShit! I just walked into McDonalds without my Mcwallet, I left in the Mctruck.
hope I don't get arrested in the parking lot!

I had this happen to a buddy. The cop was cool. He asked my buddy if he was comfortable leaving it at the station until he retrieved it. He was find with it. It was local, so not a big deal. But, as to official policy, who knows.

Generally, a LTC/FID is required to be presented "on demand" of a PO or other LEO...

General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 129C

More importantly, failure to present upon demand can end in arrest and prosecution.

It is then the individual's burden to raise an affirmative defense of being validly licensed.

This fits what I was told (don't recall who, it was probably 30 years ago). Basically if you have possession of a gun and don't have the LTC/FID ON YOUR PERSON (or within arm's reach), it is treated as if you aren't licensed at all!

Pulled over and ended up with a warning for a 2x10 hanging off the back of my truck(no red flag).Thought I was going to jail for an American Handgunner patch on my jacket.Good thing I had my drivers license and my LTC!!

I realize this is a MA forum, but the CT State police can pull up your pistol permit info on their MDTs. Including the photo on your permit. The CT DPS makes this web app available to towns at no charge if they have MDTs that can support it.

Does the MSP have a similar ability? What about locals?

Just saying because you never know, but when I put my gun on my hip I have made it habit to check for my wallet and LTC in my wallet. I don't know how many times I've left my drivers license in another pair of pants doesn't seem like something I wanna do with one of those extra Killy thingys attached to me

Back
Top Bottom