• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying at work

You are in NH so I assume that your question is about how it affects you in NH.

- IANAL, but TTBOMK the Fed law does NOT affect colleges.
- I have been told by a pro-gun activist in NH who tracks gun law legislation that ccw on a college campus is LEGAL in NH with a NH pistol permit.

[NOTE: In MA, any ccw on any college campus is illegal, unless you get permission in writing from the person in charge of the college (president) or designee. Only exception is for LEOs.]

Thanks, LenS. I live in NH but work in MA. My emergency plan at work has always been to outrun the anti-gunners (or hide behind them) ...guess I'll have to stick with that. Someday MA will figure out how to really make their schools safe, like NH has.

Wrong. As long as the gun is in its own secure container this is not a problem, or at least it's not supposed to be.

That is absolutely correct. A lockbox that fits in the console would be fine.

As for me, I wear a shirt/tie almost every day, so I only carry........you guessed it, every day.

Besides - it looks like you would not violate company policy because you are not in the shop/office when in ghetto areas ;)

The service trucks could be an "extension" of the shop/office anyway.

Personally, the thought of being fired, maybe lose the house, a lifetime of legal debt and instant bad credit is a far rosier scenario then my family being destroyed.

Chose wisely.

Being a commercial truck driver,carrying is not an option by company rules and by the way federal laws are written for carrying in a commercial vehicle plus I leave Ct every day and go into Mass so I have 3 strikes against me from the get go. LOL

Being a commercial truck driver,carrying is not an option by company rules and by the way federal laws are written for carrying in a commercial vehicle plus I leave Ct every day and go into Mass so I have 3 strikes against me from the get go. LOL

There are NO Federal restrictions on carrying a loaded firearm, while operating a commercial vehicle! The only restrictions are on the cargo, which states "no 'loaded' firearms may be contained in the shipment". More of a restriction on the shipper. I have researched this extensively.

Then you need to weigh the risk of protecting your life vs. loosing your job, if the company policy says no.

It's more than loosing your job. It's the probably of not finding employment. Imaging answering the question: why did you leave your last job?
or worst, having them call up your previous job and asking why, which most companies answer.

or worst, having them call up your previous job and asking why, which most companies answer.

Not going to comment on the part before this, but in regards to this, less and less companies will say anything other than "Yes, this person worked here for x amount of time."

There are NO Federal restrictions on carrying a loaded firearm, while operating a commercial vehicle! The only restrictions are on the cargo, which states "no 'loaded' firearms may be contained in the shipment". More of a restriction on the shipper. I have researched this extensively.
Actually,thats not true.The rules clearly state that a weapon may be in a commercial vehicle if your permitted in that state and the weapon is unloaded and the ammunition must be separated so that it is not easily accessible.

TITLE 18–CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I–CRIMES

CHAPTER 44–FIREARMS

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
container other than the glove compartment or console.

http://askthetrucker.com/cdl-federal-gun-law/

That says transport between jurisdictions that you are licensed in, is allowed, if the firearms are secured according to the law. If your licensed in MA, your good to go. Cross into a State where you're unlicensed...you need to lock it up. That's all that states. You are only restricted by State, County, or Municipal laws. You can carry in any State you have a valid LTC.

ETA: I see you are in CT, but this would not change anything. Same rules apply.

Last edited:
It's more than loosing your job. It's the probably of not finding employment. Imaging answering the question: why did you leave your last job?

Sadly, this is false, and I'll answer this one based on experience. I was the firer, not the fired. He was a punk, and HR hammered me on what I was "allowed" to say, just in case I got a phone call in the future.

Companies are NOT allowed to state why you were let go. Or any circumstances surrounding your "departure". There is the little clause of "defamation of character" and "alleged circumstances" that, unless proved in a court of law, (no, HR paperwork does not count) will (not MAY, but WILL) come to bite you in the ass if a company ever tells why they fired someone. The only thing a company is allowed to say is "He worked here for "X" years and I'll never hire them again, though I can't go into detail"...or some other such nonsense that leaves little doubt as to the integrity of the supposed employee without flat out saying "this guy is a dirtbag".

Actually,thats not true.The rules clearly state that a weapon may be in a commercial vehicle if your permitted in that state and the weapon is unloaded and the ammunition must be separated so that it is not easily accessible.

That stuff you quoted is FOPA, and it has nothing to do with commercial trucking operations, in particular. It only would address how a trucker would
secure a firearm when transiting an anti state like NY or NJ.

Try again, please. I know several CDL holders who pack heat in MA while driving, and none of them are breaking the law.

-Mike

ITAR is the regulation you are thinking of.

Could you explain further? I've heard several different people say that there are government laws/regs forbidding carrying at private companies if those companies have government contracts. I have searched and never found any such law/reg. I only have a limited knowledge of ITAR, but I haven't seen anything there that would prevent a company from allowing employees to carry (it is mainly concerned with import & export).

That stuff you quoted is FOPA, and it has nothing to do with commercial trucking operations, in particular. It only would address how a trucker would
secure a firearm when transiting an anti state like NY or NJ.

Try again, please. I know several CDL holders who pack heat in MA while driving, and none of them are breaking the law.

-Mike
Not trying anything.I was under the impression that it was a difficult situation and impossible if your not licensed for the state your traveling through but that doesn't matter to me anyway because I am still bound by my company and the lack of a mass license to carry.

Back
Top Bottom