• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying at work

If you are going to have a serious discussion on bathroom carry, you'll need input from Mr. Underwhere. He is the bathroom guru.

Not to highjack, but someone mentioned locking in the car while at work. I ran into this yesterday while making some unexpected stops with clients that I didnt want to risk exsposure.

Legally, (not with regard to wisdom) is locked in the cab of a pickup acceptable, as opposed to in the trunk of a car. I've been looking at that Fort Knox safe that would fit into truck console for just such occasions.

I'm sure I could search and maybe find something, figured I'd throw it out there.

AND any company that prevents it's LICENSED employees from LEGALLY carrying a firearm probably isn't worth working for.

I know that this is a firm ideological thing for a lot of people on this forum, but the reality is that if you work in an office environment, or for a firm of more than 50 people, your company probably prohibits carrying at work(by which I mean possess any 'weapon' but explicitly firearms), and you can be fired for violating the policy. Chances are, if someone spots you, it turns into one of those, 'You're on the front page - not in a good way' scenarios.

I have thought about this a bit, but from a practical perspective, I am in an office with a lot of other people. I wear a shirt and tie, and move around a lot, attend meetings, etc. It is very difficult to carry in this environment, and I absolutely don't want to get spotted. That would be bad. Alternatively, if I leave it in my bag/case, etc, I run a real risk of losing it or having someone find it. And yes, I realize that this means that if someone goes postal one day, I'm in trouble. I just don't see a good solution that doesn't entail a high level of risk of losing my job, and in MA, probably my license shortly thereafter.

That said, if the OP is not specifically prohibited, and/or feels that he can carry concealed without detection, then he should use his judgment, and be prepared for whatever the outcome may be should he be forced to defend himself at some point.

With respect to pocket carry, I don't know how well that would work, given that my Blackberry prints and it is smaller than a .22 auto.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to bust your balls but if in a bad position (something that the OP has clearly laid out - "shady areas at midnight") would you rather have your trusty side arm or throw a company policy manual at your assailants? AND any company that prevents it's LICENSED employees from LEGALLY carrying a firearm probably isn't worth working for.

I'm sorry, I had to leave the sidearm locked in the car today and I felt neekid all day.

If I was in the OP's position, I'd carry.

I'm not saying I wouldn't. I'm saying check company policy and go from there. He may find it's OK.

Not to highjack, but someone mentioned locking in the car while at work. I ran into this yesterday while making some unexpected stops with clients that I didnt want to risk exsposure.

Legally, (not with regard to wisdom) is locked in the cab of a pickup acceptable, as opposed to in the trunk of a car. I've been looking at that Fort Knox safe that would fit into truck console for just such occasions.

I'm sure I could search and maybe find something, figured I'd throw it out there.

I've heard there's case law that shows that locked in a trunk of a car that has fold down rear seats that don't lock is not acceptable so in the cab of a pickup would also be a no go.

With respect to pocket carry, I don't know how well that would work, given that my Blackberry prints and it is smaller than a .22 auto.

Don't wear skinny jeans[wink][laugh]

Any gun carried in a pocket will print. Fact of life. BUT the pocket holster you use for it will do two things: keep it upright, and cause the "print" to look like something other than a gun. My J frame prints "wallet" in a cheap uncle mikes pocket holster. Ditto with the Seecamp. The J frame does need an untucked shirt or the grip prints near the top of the pocket but its not as bad as I make it out to be. Think about it, how often do people walk around looking at peoples pockets. (well except us gun owners playing "spot the print"[laugh])

ETA: The fact that your blackberry prints is a good thing. Guess what? so does everyone elses[wink] When they see the bulge in your pocket, and think for 1/2 a second and realize they have one too, and its their phone, they think phone and slip back into "could care less mode"

Last edited:

There is a saying . . . one must dress around the gun. So clothes or style may need to change to conceal a gun, but it can be done.

And the Mika Pocket Holster does NOT print like a gun and perfect conceals a gun, assuming your pockets are deep enough . . . see prior paragraph.

I'm not saying I wouldn't. I'm saying check company policy and go from there. He may find it's OK.

VERY unlikely that company policy would be silent on this. Most company policy manuals are created from "boilerplate" and guess what's in the boilerplates.

Fortunately for the OP, it doesn't sound like he's in the office much. Find something that works with your tool belt and work from there. When I did service work in crappy areas, I didn't do it often enough or profitable enough to justify purchasing a firearm that would be comfortable with my rig. My Ka-Bar, however fit like a glove. One tenant asked, "What the hell is that for?!?" "Oh, that's my wire stripper."

Well, I wear a suit. The policy explicitly prohibits all weapons unless those are used directly for your job, defines weapons as any item that can be used or is intended to cause bodily harm, and goes on to say that all employees are subject to search any time they are on company property.

The only part that I think is suspect is the additional part that says the policy includes personal vehicles parked on company property.

Whatever you do if there is no gun policy stated in the handbook... NEVER, EVER ask. You will be "marked" just for asking. If it's just a company policy, carry discreetly and don't say anything to anyone about it.

-Mike

I work for a company where they provide a service van, i tried carrying my PM9 at work for a few weeks but, i felt like the customers could see it as i worked on they're equiptment(my shirt would come up over my waist and expose it).,
Just get a pocket holster. The PM9 is meant for pocket carry.

I've heard there's case law that shows that locked in a trunk of a car that has fold down rear seats that don't lock is not acceptable so in the cab of a pickup would also be a no go.

Wrong. As long as the gun is in its own secure container this is not a problem, or at least it's not supposed to be.

Well, to qualify... you're right, but the guy you responded to specifically mentioned using a safe. Obviously if you just throw the gun under a seat or whatever, and get caught doing it, you could get in trouble.

-Mike

Last edited:
My company has a policy against it. I carry anyway. I work in an office btw.

Concealed means concealed, as people have said, and safety isn't something I am willing to gamble on.

I worked in an office in the accounting department. I just pocket carried a S&W 442 in a pair of Dockers and kept a speed strip with extra rounds in the other pocket. No one ever noticed. Even people who knew I carried didn't know where it was or what my method of carry was.

Exactly! Pleated dress pants do wonders breaking up the shape of a j-frame in your pocket. With jeans on I have to leave my shirt untucked or the butt of the gun prints, but the j-frame and pocket holster makes it way easier to carry ALL the time!

Does anyone work/carry in a *private* university? Federal law prohibits firearms in or near schools, but does it refer to only public schools or all schools?

Does anyone work/carry in a *private* university? Federal law prohibits firearms in or near schools, but does it refer to only public schools or all schools?

You are in NH so I assume that your question is about how it affects you in NH.

- IANAL, but TTBOMK the Fed law does NOT affect colleges.
- I have been told by a pro-gun activist in NH who tracks gun law legislation that ccw on a college campus is LEGAL in NH with a NH pistol permit.

[NOTE: In MA, any ccw on any college campus is illegal, unless you get permission in writing from the person in charge of the college (president) or designee. Only exception is for LEOs.]

A pocket gun in an appropriate holster or smart carry would probably be your best bet and as others have said tell no one-absolutely no one.

in an office with a lot of other people. I wear a shirt and tie, and move around a lot, attend meetings, etc. It is very difficult to carry in this environment, and I absolutely don't want to get spotted.
Been there. Thunderware (a/k/a Smartcarry) was the answer.

all employees are subject to search any time they are on company property.
That's a really crappy attitude. How often do you get patted down?

--jcr

Last edited:
Been there. Thunderware (a/k/a Smartcarry) was the answer.

--jcr

Just for the record SmartCarry and Thunderware, though similar, are slightly different products and made by different people. Before I bought my SmartCarry holster I read the reviews. From what I gleaned the SmartCarry wins by a nose because of the way it is constructed to not snag on the draw.

--jcr

Never happened. But it could, and the 'turnstiles' they installed look a lot like metal detectors. As for the canine unit that patrols through the lobby and around the building, I'm not really sure what he is supposed to be detecting, but he is always there.

The bottom line is that given what's going on in town now, I may have to make a hard choice soon. A colleague is telling me that protesters are actually spitting on and verbally accosting people going in and out of BoA buildings, and last week a group of us was approached by Larouchies who knew what company we worked for. We were blocks away from the office, and none of us had badges/ID's showing, so either someone followed us or they radio'd ahead. Lucky guess? Maybe, but a hell of a guess.

@FreeWillie

I'm right there with you. It's idiotic. I'm paranoid whenever anyone asks for a multi-tool. Either I'm the only person in my department who carries one, or the only person dumb enough to admit it. Been that way for years though. How does anyone get through the day without a Swiss Champ and Leatherman Wave? (I recently added the MUT to the line-up, but I think the Wave is about the best multi-tool ever made for cutting, with the Swiss Champ right there for utility.)

Theres the same inspection/search policy where I work, but IIRC from reading it, it stops short of a pat down. Jackets are fair game, but clothes that are "on the body" shirts, pants suits etc are not.

As to the "turnstiles" is the actual part that turns made of steel? If so, not a very effective metal detector[wink]

Back
Top Bottom