• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying at work

I've recently been thinking about this and I'm curious how many others do this. I know in an office setting this probably doesn't happen. I'm talking for people like me that work in a trade. I wont mention where I work but I do service work and travel from job to job fixing what needs to be fixed. I am on call at least 1 night per week and at times get called out to some pretty shady area's in the middle of the night.
Recently I've been thinking of carrying just for more piece of mind. I should also mention I don't own my own business I work for a company and drive a company supplied truck for work.
Just curious if others carry while working and hoping to generate some discussion.

I've recently been thinking about this and I'm curious how many others do this. I know in an office setting this probably doesn't happen. I'm talking for people like me that work in a trade. I wont mention where I work but I do service work and travel from job to job fixing what needs to be fixed. I am on call at least 1 night per week and at times get called out to some pretty shady area's in the middle of the night.
Recently I've been thinking of carrying just for more piece of mind. I should also mention I don't own my own business I work for a company and drive a company supplied truck for work.
Just curious if others carry while working and hoping to generate some discussion.

What is the company policy? That's what you need to know and go from there.

Pocket carry a j frame revolver (or pocket auto) if you are putting a tool belt on and off. Pants like Riggs cargo pants have a big cargo pocket and are heavy and hold up well. If you don't put on a tool belt just IWB carry.

Last edited:
I work for a company where they provide a service van, i tried carrying my PM9 at work for a few weeks but, i felt like the customers could see it as i worked on they're equiptment(my shirt would come up over my waist and expose it)., also during the summer i get really sweaty and started to ruin the finish of the slide rust or tarnish?? wiped away with oil., maybe a better holster would work but have stopped carrying during work. I got my knife now. Im not sure what my company policy is but if a time ever did come and i had to use it i hope they would be on my side and not lose my job.

What is the company policy? That's what you need to know and go from there.

I'm not trying to bust your balls but if in a bad position (something that the OP has clearly laid out - "shady areas at midnight") would you rather have your trusty side arm or throw a company policy manual at your assailants? AND any company that prevents it's LICENSED employees from LEGALLY carrying a firearm probably isn't worth working for.

I'm sorry, I had to leave the sidearm locked in the car today and I felt neekid all day.

If I was in the OP's position, I'd carry.

Then you need to weigh the risk of protecting your life vs. loosing your job, if the company policy says no.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I carry to and from work, but not inside the main building. Firearms are specifically spelled out in our handbook unfortunately. Something to do with military contracts and such. So it gets locked up in the car during the day.

concealed means concealed - I would say screw company policy especially if you are going to some shady places at night. Get a good holster that works for the type of things you are doing - whatever the carry method and don't tell a soul.

My company policy says no firearms,knives, weapons etc allowed in the shop/office. It says nothing about when we are on the road. I haven't carried at work yet during the day I'm not to worried. Its in the middle of the night in some ghetto area where I'm more concerned.

Its in the middle of the night in some ghetto area where I'm more concerned.

There you have your answer - why risk your own life for a company? Carry concealed and tell no one about it.

Besides - it looks like you would not violate company policy because you are not in the shop/office when in ghetto areas ;)

This is something I've considered but not sure how to go about it yet. I wear scrubs to work so my only viable option seems to be ankle carry. Not sure how comfortable that'd be and I'd have to get a new gun as well.

This is something I've considered but not sure how to go about it yet. I wear scrubs to work so my only viable option seems to be ankle carry. Not sure how comfortable that'd be and I'd have to get a new gun as well.

My Uncle wears scrubs to work and carries a subcompact (Keltec) in one of those folding wallet type holsters in his front shirt pocket. Not very accessible, but worth more than a 1911 in the safe.

My Uncle wears scrubs to work and carries a subcompact (Keltec) in one of those folding wallet type holsters in his front shirt pocket. Not very accessible, but worth more than a 1911 in the safe.

A SmartCarry holster would work with scrubs.

Why not? Keep it concealed, and keep quiet about it. I would, without a doubt.

^^^ This^^^

The company I work for has a no firearms in the workplace policy but eff 'um. There is absolutely no security in the building (if you don't count Miss Double-stuff at the front desk) and all doors all around the building are unlocked...anyone can stroll in...pissed off spouses, or ex-employees. I carry a Ruger LCP in my front pocket in one of those pocket holsters...never prints and no one knows at all that I carry concealed (isn't that what concealed means?).

If the SHTF at work and I need to draw said concealed weapon, then I'll let the chips fall where they may. I ain't gonna let some half crazed idiot determine when I meet my maker (if I can help it).

My only question is do you travel out of state for work at times?

My company has a no guns policy as well but we also cater to the ghetto communities mainly, with little to no security system in place and typically 2 to 3 people working in the store at one time. I pocket carry a bodyguard 380, I think it shines through the pocket like black on white but also im probably the only person who notices.

My workplace has all kinds of policies about firearms - most of them I'm often in violation of by NOT carrying...

Or are we just talking personally owned weapons?

Where I work, the owner highly recommends that every agent carry a firearm. Being in real estate we sometimes show properties in less than desirable areas. So the boss is trying to get all agents to get their permit.

BTW, I am the boss and a few of us carry at work everyday! And a few of the ladies have put in for their permits so that number will increase! The more firearms owners the better!!

el duderino:2076338 said:
My onlyl question is do you travel out of state for work at times?

My company has a no guns policy as well but we also cater to the ghetto communities mainly, with little to no security system in place and typically 2 to 3 people working in the store at one time. I pocket carry a bodyguard 380, I think it shines through the pocket like black on white but also im probably the only person who notices.

I go to NH every so often but I wanna get my NH non Res permit. That's another reason I haven't started carrying yet. Then again I guess I could lock it in a case while in NH.

I worked in an office in the accounting department. I just pocket carried a S&W 442 in a pair of Dockers and kept a speed strip with extra rounds in the other pocket. No one ever noticed. Even people who knew I carried didn't know where it was or what my method of carry was.

If a the company policy says 'no firearms at work' why don't we all assume they mean 'no illegal firearms at work'. I know they probably also say no drugs are allowed yet people bring prescription drugs in to those places all the time.
Yup. That's it. I'm sticking to it. Licensed guns are ok.

If a the company policy says 'no firearms at work' why don't we all assume they mean 'no illegal firearms at work'. I know they probably also say no drugs are allowed yet people bring prescription drugs in to those places all the time.
Yup. That's it. I'm sticking to it. Licensed guns are ok.

I can go with that! +1

Someday I will tell the story of the day when HR told me I should be carrying at the office. Someday.

I go to NH every so often but I wanna get my NH non Res permit. That's another reason I haven't started carrying yet. Then again I guess I could lock it in a case while in NH.
Go for it. Only real downsides to the NH non-Resident permit are the cost, and the prerequisite of having another state's permit first.

The only time I don't carry is when....nope I always carry regardless of where I am. Think of your gun as a piece of essential clothing. Leaving your house without shoes on? Hell no.

Back
Top Bottom