• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying at the Big E in Springfield

My wife an I are going to the Big E fair out in Springfield this weekend. Wanted to carry for the trip but just learned on the website that firearms are not permitted on the fairgrounds. Anyone with any experience know if security is checking for this or not. I do not feel comfortable leaving it locked up in the car while I am at the fair all day.

The website states that due to everyone's safety firearms permitted or not permitted are not allowed on the grounds.

Does anyone know if they are wanding and/or metal detectors?.... I will be driving two hours to get there and don't want to get turned around at the gates and sent packing... no pun intended. Any past experiences, etc. would be helpful.. Thanks

They ask you if you have a firearm and if so they send you over to a table where a couple of cops make sure it is empty and clear and put a plastic band through it. People take guns there to sell all the time

LOL - he's talking Big E Fair and not the gun show...[laugh]

No wanding as far as I know, however I would not worry about it at all - carry anyway.

Does anyone know if they are wanding and/or metal detectors?.... I will be driving two hours to get there and don't want to get turned around at the gates and sent packing... no pun intended. Any past experiences, etc. would be helpful.. Thanks

I was there sunday ( NO ONE ASKED IF I HAD A GUN)(NO ONE USED A WAND/NO METAL DETECTOR)

FWIH carrying is not allowed but there is no one wanding or metal detectors. I belive it is posted, and they do provide lockboxes at the security office there for people to store their firearms while at the BIG E. That said concealed means concealed and I would not go with out a gun.

Last edited:
My wife an I are going to the Big E fair out in Springfield this weekend. Wanted to carry for the trip but just learned on the website that firearms are not permitted on the fairgrounds. Anyone with any experience know if security is checking for this or not. I do not feel comfortable leaving it locked up in the car while I am at the fair all day.

Just don't go on the 'Zipper' if you are carrying.[rofl]

The website states that due to everyone's safety firearms permitted or not permitted are not allowed on the grounds.

understood. However for my own safety I WILL always carry at the Big E. Just make sure you have a hidden and secure holster.

There is no wanding there as far as I am aware. I bring my Wife to the craft show every year and sometimes my Dad and I go to the boat and RV show and I would not get caught dead in Springfield without a gun. Even when I went to the Police Academy in Springfield I had..... lets just say I had to get creative because no weapons are allowed. However... again, I will NOT drive home through springfield at night EVER without a gun I dont care what anyone says. Remember... the bad guys dont care what the rules are so guess what? They will be packing.

Rob

There are no metal detectors or wands. Have no idea if they ask cause we get a free pass for the parades we've been in there.[grin]
Heck there's places in Springfield I wouldn't even go during daylight hours.[shocked] Holyoke too for that matter.[laugh]

Weapons of any kind are prohibited. There is a big metal sign before you go in. There are no wands or metal detectors but they will look through your bags. Do not attend on Springfield Day, Monday Sept 28.

All Springfield youts are given free admittance to the grounds that day. Every year gets a bit worse. Last year crowds of people were pepper sprayed due to crowd violence. The year before teens would grab on to the wrists of other kids and run through the crowd knocking people to the ground. They call it Bull running.
On this day alone police presence at the fair is more then doubled

i went to the big-e 2x this week. they have a desk out front looking through bags but if you dont have a bag you just proceed to buy your ticket then walk through the gates getting your ticket scanned.

no metal detectors at all. and i made the mistake of going on springfield day 2 years ago. It sucks because like previously said springfield residents get in free. (there are over 35 schools in springfield) lol. its a zoo ( no pun intended)

I also live acrosse the street from the big-e so its something for me to do. so dont think im a fair loser person for going 5-6x when its all said and done. :) ha

I went on Monday, and I didn't carry. There was no wanding or metal detectors (or asking if we had weapons, and the three women with me didn't have their bags searched), but there was a booth set up outside the gates with a big list of things that you can't bring in. There were a lot of cops there, and I don't know if they're looking to enforce that particular rule or not, but as long as it's concealed, you shouldn't have a problem.

alright, alright. the fair is in west springfield. there's a nice big river that seperates us. and we are even a green town

I went this past Monday, which was West Springfield day, and it was fine. It definitely got more crowded as the day went on. We took the day off work, so we got there early. But by 6 or 7 pm, it was crowded.

All Springfield youts are given free admittance to the grounds that day. Every year gets a bit worse. Last year crowds of people were pepper sprayed due to crowd violence. The year before teens would grab on to the wrists of other kids and run through the crowd knocking people to the ground. They call it Bull running.
On this day alone police presence at the fair is more then doubled

I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder. Think I'll practice my crowd avoidance techniques that day. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom