Carrying a gun you don't own

I can't seem to find the answer to my question. If I own a pistol (legally registered to me, I have a concealed carry permit) and I let my fiance carry it (she has a CCP) is there a legal issue I should be worried about?

Thanks

I believe the short answer is you are fine as along as:

- She is not a prohibited person and has a CCP for the state
- You reside in the same state

If you loan a handgun to a person in a different state, except under some sporting conditions that allow short term borrowing, it may be construed as a transfer.

But there are others on this board who are way more versed than I.

I wouldn't imagine this is a problem (disclosure: IANAL) as long as you both have a CCP/CCW permit in the same state. However, if you cross a border you might have some issues regarding this. LenS is probably your best bet, although many know a LOT about the law regarding this.

Of course, should a crime be committed that may open a whole new can of worms. Since you both have CCW permits you both presumably took the required safety courses and can handle it, although every situation is different. Are you both in MA?

There would be civil liability risk, in the same way that you are liable if someone who is properly licensed borrows your car with your permission and then has an accident that you did not contribute to in any way other than the loan of the car.

I think this was the case in that Fireman shooting case right? He used her guns and she was arrested.

I think this was the case in that Fireman shooting case right? He used her guns and she was arrested.

When the neighbor bought the guns, she lied and said they'd be for her use, all the while intending to give them to him. It was an absolute straw purchase. Methinks she's in a wee bit of trouble...

if both parties are leagl to carry the firearm you are GTG that being said if she brandishes or drops a dirtbag consider yourself her conjoined twin if she gets hit with a suitability more than likley you will too

In NY, your handguns are listed on your license in some way.
Correct, however, some counties allow a handgun to be listed on multiple person's pistol permits.

The NY firefighter case involves an allegation of straw purchase for a convicted felon, with the defendant arguing the gun was stolen. I'm not sure how much they can prove, but when a cop or firefighter gets killed somebody has to pay, so proof is a bit less important.

My father has been carrying my Sig 232 for the last 10 years. He even was asked by an officer if he was carrying at one point, and handed the gun over during the incident. Nothing ever happened, routine traffic stop, gun handed back to dad, and he was on his way.

First of all, CT's permit is a "Permit to carry pistols and revolvers." Doesn't say anything about being concealed. As what was already mentioned, there MAY be a civil liability issue. Other than that, you're good to go. No specific statute on this afaik.

Back
Top Bottom