Carry Options for Gigging Musician

I was at a Bar for 15 years up until a few weeks ago and if your on my dime you couldn't carry. Alcohol + Guns don't Mix. I had more than 30k to deal with at the bar and never thought of having my 9 on me. But that's just me

note to self...Mike is all for personal responsibility, unless he thinks you're not responsible.

Your statement surprises me. Based on your posts, I've always thought that you were a bright guy on the right side of freedom.

I was at a Bar for 15 years up until a few weeks ago and if your on my dime you couldn't carry. Alcohol + Guns don't Mix. I had more than 30k to deal with at the bar and never thought of having my 9 on me. But that's just me

Alcohol and guns don't mix if you can't handle one or both of them maybe. I've been drinking and carrying a gun since the day I turned 16 and I've never had a single issue.

Carry at 4 IWB with a shirt covering your gun. I found if you wear a t-shirt under another shirt the risk of your gun showing is reduced when bending and lifting. And really at 2am so what if it did right?

I wonder how many folks LOL'd at your carry policy and did anyways. I know I would.

note to self...Mike is all for personal responsibility, unless he thinks you're not responsible.

Your statement surprises me. Based on your posts, I've always thought that you were a bright guy on the right side of freedom.

He also makes a broad assumption that the OP will be drinking while gigging. his post is full of "full retard"

hope your joking, I am so much for freedom. Because I don't think drinking and having a gun is a good idea that's a bad thing? Not saying everyone but in 15 years I have rarely saw a band member not have a few so that's all I meant. In this state they will **** you sideways if you defended yourself and had a few drinks in you. And yes I know your life is worth more than jail time

He also makes a broad assumption that the OP will be drinking while gigging. his post is full of "full retard"
I said drinking and guns don't mix, other people drinking and your sober, you shoot a drunk guy who robs you with no weapon, your screwed, rember what state you live in. I never said he was drinking but you already made your judgement.

You can make you typical judgement because I think it's not a good idea to carry at a bar. I'm not into freedom because if this ? Just my opinion. I'm done with this and hope I'm not related as a bad person because of what I think. And I did give my opinion on a smaller carry

Last edited:
hope your joking, I am so much for freedom. Because I don't think drinking and having a gun is a good idea that's a bad thing? Not saying everyone but in 15 years I have rarely saw a band member not have a few so that's all I meant. In this state they will **** you sideways if you defended yourself and had a few drinks in you. And yes I know your life is worth more than jail time

Yeah, but let's face it, this "carrying while drinking is bad" stuff is mostly all about projection. There's this built in assumption that everyone who is drinking is going to get smashed and that's obviously not true. There's also another gem that assumes that people while drinking will go full retard in response to alcohol without any acknowledgement that everyone responds differently to alcohol. Just because you've seen some chick try to shove her rape whistle up someone's nose after one glass of wine doesn't mean everyone is going to behave like that.

I have a few friends that believe in this mind numbing line of thinking and to this day I still don't get it, although in one case it is sorta obvious he's refraining from carrying because he doesn't trust
himself. I wish people that project this would just instead say something like "I don't carry when I drink because I don't trust my judgement while I'm under the influence" rather than saying their problem applies to everyone.

-Mike

Last edited:
ted-nugent-weekend-warriors1.jpg

I said drinking and guns don't mix, other people drinking and your sober, you shoot a drunk guy who robs you with no weapon, your screwed, rember what state you live in. I never said he was drinking but you already made your judgement.

You can make you typical judgement because I think it's not a good idea to carry at a bar. I'm not into freedom because if this ? Just my opinion. I'm done with this and hope I'm not related as a bad person because of what I think. And I did give my opinion on a smaller carry

Lol a person doesn't have to have a weapon for you to be able to shoot them in self defense. Stop while you are ahead. It's about disparity of force and a gun can be an equalizer. The fact you don't understand this means not a single thing you say carries any weight whatsoever.

Pocket carry, but bring your preferred holster. When time comes to carry all the gear out, switch to holster. Bring any kind of cover garment that can be worn after the gig is over if needed.

This x100
Pocket carry at the gig like you have been. Once you're done performing switch over to your preferred carry method.

Do you wear a bathing suit while gigging?

Gigging is the practice of hunting fish or small game with a gig or similar multi-pronged spear. Commonly harvested wildlife include freshwater suckers, saltwater flounder, and small game, such as frogs. A gig can refer to any long pole which has been tipped with a multi-pronged spear. The gig pole ranges in length from 8 to 14 feet for fish gigs and 5 to 8 feet for frog gigs.

That's funny I never thought that from any of his posts lol.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

hope your joking, I am so much for freedom. Because I don't think drinking and having a gun is a good idea that's a bad thing? Not saying everyone but in 15 years I have rarely saw a band member not have a few so that's all I meant.

nope, not joking.

Saying you're all for carrying a gun unless it's at a school, or a movie cinema, or a whatever, is the same thing. You have every right to think drinking and having a gun is a bad thing. but your post was that you didn't let people carry on your dime because they'd be drinking. I read that while working as YOUR "employee" I have to give up my rights to carry. And you have every right to make that rule (it's your business=your rules). If you don't think you can have a drink and carry, you shouldn't. I often go out for dinner and have a beer or 2 while carrying. I've carried at bars and had a beer or 2. neither is against the law (in your state or mine....however, it is in some)

In this state they will **** you sideways if you defended yourself and had a few drinks in you. And yes I know your life is worth more than jail time

If I ever have to shoot someone(and I pray I never do), it's either a good shoot or it's not. Having a beer or 2 will not change whether it's "good". It is more likely than not that the police will arrest me anyways. I'm actually having a beer right now with a pistol on my hip. Should someone force their way into my home, this beer, or the one I'm going to have after this will have no effect on my decision on shooting someone

Like I said Mike, in previous posts, you seem like a bright guy and are on the right side of things. But pushing your belief of what is or isn't a "good idea" is what the antis do. Their decisions are based on what they "FEEL" instead of what is right and legal.

Do you need quick access to the gun while on stage or more so while loading afterward? Some of the stage equipment can be modified to allow quick hidden access to a stored gun, such as behind a dummy horn in a floor monitor, a compartment cut into your guitar amp under the name plate, a locking drawer in a rack mount cabinet. As far as carrying where alcohol is being served...it ain't carrying if it ain't on you! Once the gig is over you can conceal your weapon and pack up. How'd they do it back in the dayz of spandex and mullets?

I too have run into this problem. Gig usually 3-4x a month, playing guitar. Appendix carry does not work well with playing guitar at all - guitar hits right where the gun is (for a righty). You might be able to appendix carry on your opposite side for a cross-draw motion but I never bothered trying. I found easiest is ankle carry as I always wear long pants when playing. Keeps it out of the way enough and doesn't get in the way when loading equipment either.

Please tell that to Nikki Goeser, about how bar carry bans are so effective. I'd pay money to see that.

-Mike

Funny how many of the "more free" states have more restrictions on where one can carry than imposed on subjects of the DPRM.

The source of many of these bans is confusing "drinking and guns don't mix" with "liquor licenses don't mix". The difference between the two is considerable.

Having a beer or 2 will not change whether it's "good".
Nice in theory but, in practice, that ranks right up there with "you don't need to fear conviction if you are innocent".

First off, there is no standard for the crime of carrying under the influence in MA. It's not like OUI with a defined limit (yes, I know that you can theoretically be convicted of oUI with a lower BAC, but in practice the magic line is .08)

Secondly, you can be assured that the fact that you shot someone "after drinking" WILL be mentioned, and emphasized, in legal proceedings. If you didn't have the foresight to get a blood test for BAC, at your own expense, after the incident (assuming you were out of custody soon enough for the BAC to be reliable) you can be reasonably assured the prosecutor will allege that you were drunk - especially if it is a clean shoot. The goal will be to shift the perception from "lawful shoot" to "drunk shoots someone".

The alcohol card can even impact the type of plea bargain you get offered. The weaker the case, the better the deal.

Think you won't take a plea? Come back when your attorney has said "It's a no jail time deal, you'll be a felon for life, but the $25k you've paid me so far will pretty much cover it. If we go to trial, I'll need another $75k, and you're assured of serious prison time if we lose.".

Last edited:
Funny how many of the "more free" states have more restrictions on where one can carry than imposed on subjects of the DPRM.

The source of many of these bans is confusing "drinking and guns don't mix" with "liquor licenses don't mix". The difference between the two is considerable.

Nice in theory but, in practice, that ranks right up there with "you don't need to fear conviction if you are innocent".

First off, there is no standard for the crime of carrying under the influence in MA. It's not like OUI with a defined limit (yes, I know that you can theoretically be convicted of oUI with a lower BAC, but in practice the magic line is .08)

Secondly, you can be assured that the fact that you shot someone "after drinking" WILL be mentioned, and emphasized, in legal proceedings. If you didn't have the foresight to get a blood test for BAC, at your own expense, after the incident (assuming you were out of custody soon enough for the BAC to be reliable) you can be reasonably assured the prosecutor will allege that you were drunk - especially if it is a clean shoot. The goal will be to shift the perception from "lawful shoot" to "drunk shoots someone".

The alcohol card can even impact the type of plea bargain you get offered. The weaker the case, the better the deal.

Think you won't take a plea? Come back when your attorney has said "It's a no jail time deal, you'll be a felon for life, but the $25k you've paid me so far will pretty much cover it. If we go to trial, I'll need another $75k, and you're assured of serious prison time if we lose.".
and I think your employer has to foot the bill if your on the clock and do this. May be wrong but the last lawsuit was with a guy protecting himself since he was attacked and used his car to get away hitting a patron that was drunk, lawyer said you served him (guy in car said he didn't drink but after finding a receipt for his CC and more than a few drinks on the bill) and guess what? it was on your property so 50k later. [frown]

Last edited:
and I think your employer has to foot the bill if your on the clock and do this. May be wrong but the last lawsuit was with a guy protecting himself since he was attacked and used his car to get away hitting a patron that was drunk, lawyer said you served him (guy in car said he didn't drink but after finding a receipt for his CC and more than a few drinks on the bill) and guess what? it was on your property so 50k later. [frown]

foot what bill? your attorney has to pay the lawyers fees for the shooter? if anything, I could see the employer being dragged in for a civil case, but I don't see the employer as having to foot the bill for someone else.

foot what bill? your attorney has to pay the lawyers fees for the shooter? if anything, I could see the employer being dragged in for a civil case, but I don't see the employer as having to foot the bill for someone else.

If he's talking civil suit the ambulance chaser will sue everyone involved. A bar or a restauraunt is a good target because if the owner is well off they have assets to steal. A typical pud with a gun and an apartment on the other hand is like suing a rock, not going to get blood from a stone.

-Mike

If he's talking civil suit the ambulance chaser will sue everyone involved. A bar or a restauraunt is a good target because if the owner is well off they have assets to steal. A typical pud with a gun and an apartment on the other hand is like suing a rock, not going to get blood from a stone.

-Mike

Correct, which is what I was saying. The employer isn't going to have to "foot the bill" for the shooter's legal defenses, however.

Back
Top Bottom