• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carry Options for Gigging Musician

M&P

To start, I did a search for this. If it's a dupe, please shoot me a link!

In addition to my suit and tie job, I'm a gigging musician on the weekends. I carry at almost every gig I play, which includes music clubs, venues, bars etc. Some venues that have recently been booked will be taking me to some not so savory places after the gigs done, at 2am. I'm just not a big fan of moving 30k in gear in places like that without sufficient protection.

I generally pocket carry a .380 at gigs, but want to pack something with a little more punch/ control and faster accessibility. Despite practice at the range, my pocket draws are still on the slow side. The problem is, I'm in front of literally hundreds of people playing music, moving gear (which means a lot of bending/ reaching that isn't so great for keeping a cover garment covering) etc.

Any working musicians out there who do anything besides pocket carry? If so, what are your options?

Currently, I'm considering appendix carry with an incog or a crossbreed appendix for guns I already own - a shield or G19. I figure it will be covered well by my guitar most of the night. The crossbreed will also allow me to tuck an undergarment into it. Also, I own a few 5.11 holster shorts which I can hypothetically fit the shield in, but it definitely prints.

My normal IWB won't work - too much reaching for gear and moving around in front of too many people. Lastly, there's a certain expectation about my appearance, and wearing overly large garments like I would normally do for concealment isn't an option.

Would love ideas from everyone and shared experiences from any other gigging musicians!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at a Bar for 15 years up until a few weeks ago and if your on my dime you couldn't carry. Alcohol + Guns don't Mix. I had more than 30k to deal with at the bar and never thought of having my 9 on me. But that's just me

How nice is your guitar? "Appendix carry rash" would make belt buckle rash look like a couple of mild finish scratches, I'd think, and I'd be concerned about the gun clunking against the back of the guitar. Especially if it's an acoustic.

I would IWB a commander size 1911 if I felt like I needed it.

I was at a Bar for 15 years up until a few weeks ago and if your on my dime you couldn't carry. Alcohol + Guns don't Mix. I had more than 30k to deal with at the bar and never thought of having my 9 on me. But that's just me

your post could have just said "I have nothing to add and won't even attempt to answer your question" and it would've said the same thing in fewer words

What do you usually wear on stage? My carry plans are less about what I'm doing and more about what I'm wearing. (Not a musician, just trying to brainstorm.)

So far, I'm still thinking pocket carry but maybe an air weight 357.

I typically carry at the 4 o'clock position, so I basically made sure I wear a really long shirt the few times I filled in for someone or got a chance to jump on stage to play something.

Please tell that to Nikki Goeser, about how bar carry bans are so effective. I'd pay money to see that.

-Mike

Can you protect someone when they step out of your bar and load out? Regardless of whose dime I'm on, concealed is concealed. You wouldn't have known regardless. I carry whenever and wherever legal.

Also, you're absolutely right that alcohol and guns don't mix. The guys I play with know I carry and when I'm offered a drink by them, the bar or a fan, my excuse is that I took my "medicine" and can't drink with the medicine I take. The guys know what it means and it's a non-issue. I'm stone sober every single time I carry and the truth is, it's for outside the bar when I'm moving gear. I don't drink period when carrying, but that's just me and understand that others have a different approach.

As for the guitar scratches - it's a good point! But the majority of my guitars don't have any finish left on the back anyways. 10 years of gigging and belt buckles don't leave much on the back!

Ankle holster leaves me with a similar dilemma - slow draw and not easily accessible. I've definitely thought about it. In fact bought one, but couldn't quite figure out a way to make it work for me.

What do you usually wear on stage? My carry plans are less about what I'm doing and more about what I'm wearing. (Not a musician, just trying to brainstorm.)

So far, I'm still thinking pocket carry but maybe an air weight 357.

Usually jeans and a v-neck. Usually pocket carry a bodyguard. Sometimes I'll wear a button up - less so in the summer as it can get pretty hot moving gear.

I didn't know they made an air weight 357. Sounds like it wouldn't be too fun to shoot for more than a few rounds! Also, it's a great idea, but trying to stick to shield or G19, as that's what I have now.

I mountain bike with a tuckable IWB and it's never an issue. Wouldn't a tuckable IWB do the trick? If not what about pocket carry the whole time but keep the G19 locked up during the show and then put it on when it's time to move the gear.

I should also add that we once had a gig where we had to stop early as someone was shot outside in the parking lot. This was before I carried, but reinforces the sentiment. Whose to stop someone from trying to make a quick buck off the guy carrying all those expensive looking guitars?

I mountain bike with a tuckable IWB and it's never an issue. Wouldn't a tuckable IWB do the trick? If not what about pocket carry the whole time but keep the G19 locked up during the show and then put it on when it's time to move the gear.

I do have a crossbreed for both the shield and G19 and generally tuck my undergarment. At the 3 o'clock. I wear some wireless equipment on my belt for my in ear monitoring system and tend to fidget with that and other gear and I've been afraid I will cause the undergarment to become untucked.

I haven't thought about switching guns before and after though. Something to consider. Would be dependent on whether there was an appropriate space to do so I guess.

tumblr_m76s272XjT1qasjv5o1_400.jpg

Maybe a Glock 26 would be a little easier to conceal than the 19 for you. Just another thought for ya

I gig out fairly often...I pocket carry my 380 90% of the time but if I think I'm going into an area that I might need something more, I usually carry my 45 in the small of the back wearing a long shirt. Not the most comfortable way to carry but it never gets in my way either.

i'll say that my bud always had the 19 on him and now has the 26 and says it's a lot better comfort wise.
to me in all the 12 carry guns I have had the PM9 and G43 felt best to me.

Last edited:
I have one! Only thing is that it prints quite a bit with anything bigger than a .380. Also, despite being velcroed shut, my shield fell out of it when stretching once! And I do a lot of bending over at gigs.

Try something bigger. I've carried my SIG P220 in mine. Chatted with a Boston FD supervising the fire damage repairs at one of the businesses at the finish line. See nothing, say nothing.

Pocket carry, but bring your preferred holster. When time comes to carry all the gear out, switch to holster. Bring any kind of cover garment that can be worn after the gig is over if needed.

That's why it's called concealed carry. You would never know, and that's the way it should be.

Back
Top Bottom