• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carry guns with safeties

I have a buddy who's looking to pick up his first carry gun. I typically carry a P938 and he likes the general size of it, but would be okay with something SLIGHTLY larger. He's looking for something:
  1. That he can buy in a Mass LGS (on the roster)
  2. DA/SA
  3. Chambered in at least 9mm
  4. Has an external safety
  5. Has a decocking lever

I'm not up on safeties and couldn't find a resource I could share with him. I think the Shield has a version with an external safety, and he's considering that, but I didn't know if anybody else had suggestions. I also thought of the sig P229 but I've never seen one so I don't know if that's larger than what he is looking for.

Definitely not looking for this thread to devolve into a discussion of the merits of external safeties or carrying with one in the pipe-there's enough of those.

Thanks all

Your buddy has a very limiting list of requirements. If he could ease up on the MA roster or the lack of an external safety (a DA/SA gun will have a heavy trigger for the first pull, if that's OK then that opens up the whole Sig P series) he would probably find more options. All I can think of is a Beretta 92 family gun.

There might be some 3rd generation Smith and Wesson guns that would meet the criteria..

Last edited:
The 938 is a high quality little gun. I had one for a bit. As I recall though, it is SA only. That said, the DA/SA requirement is going to be the the most limiting factor there. I'd suggest he revisit the "need" for that feature. Most experienced folks don't find the need /advantage for it in a compact carry gun.
The closest thing I can think of to meet all those requirements would be a SW99/Walther P99 compact.

Btw, for about half the price of the sig, he can get a Ruger LC9S that will do everything he needs and take a beating without guilt.

Your buddy needs some range time to realize that guns don't just magically go off by themselves. If range time doesn't work, then he's just a wuss [laugh]

If your friend doesn't mind used, S&W made a whole line of 9mm that are Sa/Da with decocking slide mounted safety and mag disconnect. I have their 6906: stainless, 3.5" bbl, 12rnd double-stack. The 3913 is similar but with a single stack mag and slimmer grip. The 3913 is noticeably bigger than my LC9s, but still carryable. The double-stack versions may be a bit chubby for EDC.

He should make the trip to Manchester Firing Line where he can handle dozens of guns and rent some and shoot them in their range.

Last edited:
HK45 or HK45C... Would really help to know what his budget is. No point recommending a pistol that's twice what he can spend...

If he's really sticking to DA/SA w/ safety, I think the only option that's slightly bigger than P238 is the HK P30sks. If you don't mind the lack of safety there's the Sig P239. The P229, USPc, and FNX9 are all pretty big compared to a P238.

I personally think a safety is unnecessary with DA/SA. HK puts it on there in case you want to carry 1911 style cocked and locked.

He can go back a generation or two
Plenty of DA/SA SW handguns I like my model 59-2 and my 4013 along with all the other XXXX line of SW semi auto.
Also don't discount a revolver.

Tell him to join the times. His requirements are so 1990 (3rd gen S&W).
Get a striker fired, polymer framed pistol that has a frame mounted safety.
The pistol he should be getting is the S&W Shield 9mm.

Buy American and make himself great again!

PS. I have a S&W 4006 that I would never get rid of!

Last edited:
If your friend doesn't mind used, S&W made a whole line of 9mm that are Sa/Da with decocking slide mounted safety and mag disconnect. I have their 6906: stainless, 3.5" bbl, 12rnd double-stack. The 3913 is similar but with a single stack mag and slimmer grip. The 3913 is noticeably bigger than my LC9s, but still carryable. The double-stack versions may be a bit chubby for EDC.

He should make the trip to Manchester Firing Line where he can handle dozens of guns and rent some and shoot them in their range.

+1 for the S&W 3rd generation semi-autos. I carried a 6906 for many years. There are plenty of different sizes and calibers to choose from and they are all great guns, reasonably priced on the used market and exactly what your friend wants. They are also very reliable as long as you don't get the Chief's Special in .45acp. That's the only model I've ever heard that had reliability issues.

There's a kit for the 229 that turns the slide stop into a manual safety.

Be warned, it's a great carry pistol but it's wide and heavy.

I have a buddy who's looking to pick up his first carry gun. I typically carry a P938 and he likes the general size of it, but would be okay with something SLIGHTLY larger. He's looking for something:
  1. That he can buy in a Mass LGS (on the roster)
  2. DA/SA
  3. Chambered in at least 9mm
  4. Has an external safety
  5. Has a decocking lever

I'm not up on safeties and couldn't find a resource I could share with him. I think the Shield has a version with an external safety, and he's considering that, but I didn't know if anybody else had suggestions. I also thought of the sig P229 but I've never seen one so I don't know if that's larger than what he is looking for.

Definitely not looking for this thread to devolve into a discussion of the merits of external safeties or carrying with one in the pipe-there's enough of those.

Thanks all

I'll sell him my shield w/ safety so I can but a shield without a safety. Check that, I'll be buying a glock 43.

Just to chime in..
A DA/SA is pretty much a safety. The only gun that I can think that does all of that of is a Beretta 92fs full size or compact. Compact is better for carry for obvious reasons. Without the safety go P229 all day!

A mechanical device that can fail

Walther PPK.

9 x 17.....it is 9mm [wink]
I was going to suggest a PPK but I thought .380. You are right though...9x17. I can feel for the guy though. I was nervous first time carrying.
The Beretta is a great range and home defense gun and sexy as hell but too big to carry imo.

Last edited:
What's a safety?

0LkJlfK.jpg

I'm going to break all the rules and suggest an M&P Shield or a Sig P320.

Back
Top Bottom