Carry gun

I have a question that I am sure has been asked many time, But I need to ask it anyway. What is the law on buying a Ma compliant gun and then have the trigger worked on ( carry gun ) I have heard if god forbid you have to defend your self and shoot someone you are screwed and I have heard no it ok? what is the truth.

I have a question that I am sure has been asked many time, But I need to ask it anyway. What is the law on buying a Ma compliant gun and then have the trigger worked on ( carry gun ) I have heard if god forbid you have to defend your self and shoot someone you are screwed and I have heard no it ok? what is the truth.

There is nothing illegal about modifying your carry gun.

Some commentators will warn against it because if you go to trial, the prosecutor will try to spin it as "a hair trigger" and paint you as a reckless person who is altering a tool from factory specs that are based on safety standards (in Mass some of these standards are mandated by law as "consumer protection" so think about how that would look when some glib lawyer is out to get you). That isn't fair or balanced, but it would be par for the course.

There is some research which suggests that people who use certain types of guns in self-defense will fare worse in court because of the jury's bias against the guns themselves. The most conservative commentators will tell you to carry the gun and ammo used by the local police so that you can stand up in court and say "I picked what my police use, I figured they would be using the safest and most appropriate gear in the market. Surely they wouldn't be using something dangerous!" The theory is that this will prevent the prosecutor from demonizing your gun.

Note that none of this is my personal opinion, I am merely explaining some of the reasoning behind some of the advice out there.

If you meant to pull the trigger, why would the trigger weight be a factor at all? If you tried to say "It just went off" and you had a 0.01 pound modified trigger, then you'd be fighting an uphill battle. Of course, "It just went off" is probably not going to work anyway.

I think Apex and similar companies have different weight trigger mods they recommend for carry guns. This is the Apex kit.

And +1 on what the other guys said.

IANAL

If you live in MA and defend yourself, I am sure they will try and bury you in the jail no matter what poundage yoiur trigger is...

I wouldn't carry a gun with a 3 lb or lighter trigger, but I think a 4-6lb trigger is easily defensible. Of course, IANAL and this isn't legal advice.

Back
Top Bottom