• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carry Firearm and Reliability

So I guess this a two part question, which gun would you say is more reliable and which would say is a better carry firearm? Ie size and shape

Glock 26 Vs SR9c

I've owned both pistols and would bet my life on a Glock. I've only fired about 800 rounds out of the Ruger SR9c but it has been flawless. I recently purchased a Ruger LC9 and except for the heavy trigger it too has been 100% with all types of ammo and much thinner than the other two pistols.

The SR9C is a fatso compared to the G26. I don't even consider it a valid comparison from that standpoint alone.

The only thing the SR9c really has going for it is the price.

-Mike

The G26 is pretty much the de-facto standard in subcompact CCW. It's hard to argue that there are subcompact guns that are as reliable.

Just make sure you pull the pin, and THEN throw it.

glockboomsmall.gif

the only thing i struggled with when shooting a friends SR9c was the location of the safety and being able to access it consistently. this could affect the "reliabilty" of time to first shot if it was not easily manipulated so i just kept it off. i CC the Glock 19, i found it more comfortable to shoot than the 26 and just as easy to conceal. like these threads always wind up saying.........."get your hands on both and see which one "fits" you best." a reliable carry gun is one that you WILL carry and not the one that sits in the safe because you dont shoot it well or is not comfortable.

Sounds like from everyone's post it they had there life on the line and had to pick 1 out of the two guns listed they would go with the Glock.

Most modern pistols from any of the big name companies will be very reliable. What ever you choose, be sure to run a few hundred rounds through it just to make sure you did not get the .1% that managed to slip past quality control somehow.

While I am not a Glock fan, I don't think anyone who can handle the recoil of the model they buy did wrong buying the Glock.

I've shot Glocks for the past 13 years and have never had a malfunction that wasnt due to bad ammo. Glock 26 get my vote between the two.

NRA Pistol Instructor
Defensive Pistol Instructor
Glock Armorer
NRA Member
GOAL Member

My gen 4 glock 27 (same size as 26) pocket carries in longer baggy shorts pretty well. In pants,or tighter shorts, it's a no go.
IWB in just about anything it disappears, I've even worn it walking the dog in shorts with a decent tie up front...without a belt in a don hume clip holster or my homemade kydex tuckable.

I don't think there's a comparision to the SR9c.....the Glock is much smaller, and any Glock I've shot so far has been flawless. If your looking for compact...there's not much else out there in that size/double stack mag capacity, that's that reliable.

I have no doubt the SR9c is a good gun...but I think you'll find it more in M&P 9c/Glock 19 size....not the compact pistol.

If your looking for a true pocket gun, look at a Kahr, Keltec or something with a single stack and less mag capacity.

Last edited:
Glock 26. They shoot really well for a small pistol, 5lb trigger, 10 rounds, and real sights with optional night sites. I can front pocket carry with a Desantis Nemesis holster, or IWB with a Comp Tac Minotaur.

Glock. Get's kinda boring having what everyone else has, but after you shoot them, take them apart/clean/reassemble, you realize they are the most reliable gun you are gonna carry. That's why I love them.

Pocket carry? Neither will be great unless you've got baggy cargo shorts on. I like Glocks. A lot. But if cost is an issue the Ruger us supposed to be a good gun. I recently switched to a J-frame for pocket carry from another small gun. Now I actually carry everyday. Don't count out those little wheel guns, with a speed strip in your other pocket you've got ten rounds to work with.

The SR9C is a fatso compared to the G26. I don't even consider it a valid comparison from that standpoint alone.

The only thing the SR9c really has going for it is the price.

-Mike

There's definitely a substantial size difference between the two as far as length & height are concerned (and weight), but we're talking about a compact vs. subcompact so that's to be expected. In the width department they're nearly identical (0.09in difference). I love the SR9c and trust its reliability completely, but I'd still like a G26 in the safe (& a G19 for that matter). For me the only potential downsides are the manual safety (which one can choose not to use), the mag disconnect (which is user-removable), and the super-gay high-rise LCI.

Glock. Get's kinda boring having what everyone else has, but after you shoot them, take them apart/clean/reassemble, you realize they are the most reliable gun you are gonna carry. That's why I love them.

This, taking my G30 apart is worlds apart from say my P226 etc. Simple. I would still call my Sig reliable though, it's just a lot more complicated.

I'll take boring any day. It's the suprised look on the bad guys face that will make it worth while when the reliability comes into play.

I recently switched to a J-frame for pocket carry from another small gun. Now I actually carry everyday. Don't count out those little wheel guns, with a speed strip in your other pocket you've got ten rounds to work with.

+1 to a wheel gun. Just bought a Ruger LCR to use for summer carry and at 12oz it weighs nothing and with the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster I can put it in any pocket and it disappears. Naturally at 12oz it's not something you want to make a habit of shooting lots of ammo thru but it's accurate and cheep and reliable.

Dave

Without question, between those two choices, the Glock 26. But as others have mentioned... the small revolvers are great for pocket carry. Rounded contours make them dissapear. They have their advantages, but when the SHTF I pray I have my Glock.

Back
Top Bottom