Carry Capacity Inadequacy Complex (CCIC)

I'm submitting this as a new diagnosis in the next DSM revision. [smile]

I currently carry a Shield in 40 and love the gun. My biggest problem with it is capacity. I always tend to think about those rare "what if" scenarios and start to feel uncomfortable with something that carries 6 or 7 rounds. Hence my dilemma.

I keep looking at the M&P9 compact as a reasonably priced alternative, but get stuck on the neutered mags in MA issue. I feel like it's a waste of grip length, since I am not getting the standard 12 rounds in that size. The other problem I have with the M&P9c is that it is stuck in the middle between a Glock 19 and a 26, in terms of size. I love my G19 and it's the gun I shoot best, but it doesn't fit my needs for summer carry, since it tends to print more.

The Gen 4 G26 is the less reasonably priced option (at least in my experience here in MA.) But it feels like it's the "right size" since it is naturally a 10 rounder. It also eases my Carry Capacity Inadequacy Complex [laugh] since it can also take the larger preban mags.

So in reality, I guess my dilemma isn't so much a dilemma about what I want, since the M&P isn't going to magically become a 26. It's really about access and affordability. I never did learn the secret handshake here, so when I got my G19 I paid a pretty penny for it. Budget wise I don't think I can do that again without ending up in the dog house. I may just end up doing a build from parts, but I swear I have OCD and the mismatched serial numbers would drive me bananas. Go ahead laugh at my issues, I do. [rofl]

Thanks for listening, this was therapeutic.

File Under: First World Problems

Our ancestors solved this problem by carrying more ammo. I'd suggest you do likewise.

But then, I sometimes carry j-frame revolvers and feel absolutely safe doing so, so I don't think you and I are on the same page.

Good luck, but getting your SO pissed at you because you've spent the mortgage on another gun is a poor way to live.

I currently carry a Shield in 40 and love the gun. My biggest problem with it is capacity. I always tend to think about those rare "what if" scenarios and start to feel uncomfortable with something that carries 6 or 7 rounds. Hence my dilemma.

I keep looking at the M&P9 compact as a reasonably priced alternative, but get stuck on the neutered mags in MA issue. I feel like it's a waste of grip length, since I am not getting the standard 12 rounds in that size. The other problem I have with the M&P9c is that it is stuck in the middle between a Glock 19 and a 26, in terms of size. I love my G19 and it's the gun I shoot best, but it doesn't fit my needs for summer carry, since it tends to print more.

The Gen 4 G26 is the less reasonably priced option (at least in my experience here in MA.) But it feels like it's the "right size" since it is naturally a 10 rounder. It also eases my Carry Capacity Inadequacy Complex [laugh] since it can also take the larger preban mags.

So in reality, I guess my dilemma isn't so much a dilemma about what I want, since the M&P isn't going to magically become a 26. It's really about access and affordability. I never did learn the secret handshake here, so when I got my G19 I paid a pretty penny for it. Budget wise I don't think I can do that again without ending up in the dog house. I may just end up doing a build from parts, but I swear I have OCD and the mismatched serial numbers would drive me bananas. Go ahead laugh at my issues, I do. [rofl]

The compact only holds 10 anyway, free state or MA

I wont say I have the same complex, but I carry my G33(same size as G26) with a preban 13rd magazine and the xgrip adapter.. You can definitely feel the added bulk a bit but its grown on me. I also use the Pearce grip +1s on my other magazines.

I do have a M&P 9c, and while it shot great, handles great, I just never fell in love with it.

Just carry an extra magazine. It doesn't matter what gun you carry as long as it's reliable!

Spend your
money on Ammo and practice practice practice.

Where
you hit is more important than the caliber period!

<font color="#0000cd"><font size="4"><span style="font-family: verdana"><strong>

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a G19 all of the time. Stopped caring about printing a while ago. People are so oblivious that as long as a shirt is over it, no one cares. I also carry appendix though, as its generally not socially acceptable to stare at someones junk (except when I get together with the NES squad)... so its even less obvious. Is that a G19 in your pants, or are you happy to see me? Both.

Mag guts in the Shield mag? It'll turn the mag into a 9 rounder instead of 8, plus the one chambered for 10 total. I have them in mine for the same reason you mentioned (in 9mm, not sure if the 40 stuff is available yet). Worked for me so far.

Mag guts in the Shield mag? It'll turn the mag into a 9 rounder instead of 8, plus the one chambered for 10 total. I have them in mine for the same reason you mentioned (in 9mm, not sure if the 40 stuff is available yet). Worked for me so far.

My carry gun is the 40. I think Magguts just came out for it, so I may pick it up and add it to one of the mags, since I am definitely not going to completely retire the Shield, if I can find a G26. I know a few people here have found the 9mm magguts reliable, but I'll still want to test it a bit before I rely on it.

These capacity discussions always baffle me. Are you expecting to get into a fire fight with multiple people?
I carry a shield 9 8+1 and rarely carry an extra mag. If I unload an entire magazine out in public I am much more worried about legal trouble
than a "firefight".
I'm not criticizing you (so people please don't unload on me) I'm just not sure you are being paranoid about a scenario that most
likely will never happen to 99.9999% of the people on this board (or any forum for that matter god willing).
I'm hoping you don't live in a sh*t hole of a town, in that case your scenario is a bit different and understandable.
I have a full size M&P .40 that I don't like to carry in warmer weather, so I get where you are in that part of your dilemma.
I looked at an M&P9C the other day and it was too close in size to my Shield. for one round I want something else.
The SigP320C or SC will probably fit the bill, a little bigger than the M&PC but smaller than the full size, the SC is a little
smaller than the G19 and a little bigger than the M&PC
as soon as 4S has them in I will be there to grab one of them.
I also have one of the Promag 10 round mags for my shield. I know they don't have a great rep but I use mine all the time with no issues at all..........yet.
You can get a horizontal mag pouch (SHTF has them) for cheap, I got one and and with my 8+1 and that mag on my belt I have 19 rounds,
if I ever need more than that I probably am not going to make it home anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely not a mall ninja looking to get into a hollywood shootout, but have a family and hate the thought of being underprepared for a bad situation. I don't live in the worst neighborhood in Boston, but do have to go to parts of the city that are pretty bad. I've never been a fearful person about it. I grew up in a crappy neighborhood in the city and lived there as a teen when there were nightly shootouts during the early 90's, so I'm just trying to be overly cautious.

this is the one I bought. they are made for each gun, my 8 round mag fits in perfect, my 10 barely gets in there but it does work.
really comfy and basically invisible under an untucked shirt or a sweat shirt.
https://www.blackarchholsters.com/products/horizontal-magazine-carrier

and again not criticizing just curious, if I lived somewhere that I felt I needed more rounds "I'd get it" :)

Wait... You already carry extra mags? Then I fail to see the problem. Save the cost of a new gun and invest some time learning mag changes. Done.

Or just recalibrate your threat assessment. Like others have pointed out, there might possibly be times when you'll need 40 rounds, like when Red Dawn happens while you're stuck at the bank. But it's unlikely. Most times, you just need enough to shoot your way to an exit (you should keep exits nearby) and get your ass out of whatever bad situation you're in.

YMMV, but hauling excessive ammo got old for me when I was in the Army. I realize many folks here haven't had the joys of jumping 240 rounds in the middle of the night, but it'll make you value decent aim and empty pockets.

Yes I carry an extra mag, when I feel like sticking it in my pocket. But with keys, phone and pepper spray, sometimes the extra mag gets left behind. I guess I could always get a tacti-cool bat utility belt and call it a day.

http://theneomag.com
These are cool. The only reason to carry a spare mag is for malfunctions. It's easier to just grab a fresh mag than possible deal with one that's causing a problem. Like many have said. The likelihood of you frantically firing all these rounds in public is slim. You're more likely to place a few well thought out aimed shots to stop a threat and or drawing on someone so you can safely find a way out of the situation.

carry the gun you have.....carry a spare mag.....practice reloads under pressure. -end thread-

seriously though.....everyone has their comfort level on capacity. Mine is a 5 shot 357 magnum revolver as i dont leave the house expecting a mall shootout but a up close and personal encounter with a thug as is the case in most sd encounters. However if i had your "comfort level" id just go out with an extra mag.

As many have replied, you are just fine with what you have- especially considering the extra mag. So many say this because it's true: Save your money and spend some on ammo then practice, practice, practice...

Not as old as some, but I'm probably older than most on the forum. In my lifetime I've only had to draw twice- one a 3 vs. 1 forced entry on the first night in my first apartment (St. Louis- no surprise); and another a 4 vs. 1 'hill people' encounter. In both cases, the a-holes damn near crapped their pants before their prompt departure. There was no need to shoot though I would have been completely justified to do so. S&W 686 revolver, FWIW, and I did not feel like I was under-capacity. I suspect that nearly all such encounters could end that way, with no shots fired.

Since we are talking about concerns over protecting family, I'll share another cautionary tale: First night in the first house I bought (pattern?), I thought someone was trying to break in through a window to our back room. There was at least one more perp on the property, snooping around with a flashlight. Now with a pregnant wife, the stakes are a little higher & I went to investigate with the 686 in hand. Kids playing German Spotlight & they never knew I was there. Next day I told them they were welcome to continue anytime but please give us a head's up, LOL.

Since we are talking about concerns over protecting family, I'll share another cautionary tale: First night in the first house I bought (pattern?), I thought someone was trying to break in through a window to our back room. There was at least one more perp on the property, snooping around with a flashlight. Now with a pregnant wife, the stakes are a little higher & I went to investigate with the 686 in hand. Kids playing German Spotlight & they never knew I was there. Next day I told them they were welcome to continue anytime but please give us a head's up, LOL.
Luckily you waited long enough to find out what it was. Talk about a potential bad end.

Luckily you waited long enough to find out what it was. Talk about a potential bad end.

Echos of a Marine dad telling me don't just identify your target, KNOW what it is and what's behind.

That particular window had heavily overgrown laurels in front of it. Ideal spot for a B&E, but also ideal for kids hiding during their game.

Anyway, 6 rounds seemed like enough for the two times I really needed something- even though simply drawing stopped the trouble.

I find carrying my shield and a spare mag is a breeze. I carry my spare in that top right tiny pocket in my jeans slides right in and your dont even know its there.

I started with the 19, then down to the 26 for a year or so, now down to the shield. carrying a spare mag for the 26 sucks and would never do it. but carrying the shield and a spare mag is very easy and comfortable

side question. Why is the shield a .40? you have a 19 and want a 26 why not a shield in 9mm? I personally hate the .40 shield reminds me of a snub nose 357.

I find carrying my shield and a spare mag is a breeze. I carry my spare in that top right tiny pocket in my jeans slides right in and your dont even know its there.

I started with the 19, then down to the 26 for a year or so, now down to the shield. carrying a spare mag for the 26 sucks and would never do it. but carrying the shield and a spare mag is very easy and comfortable

side question. Why is the shield a .40? you have a 19 and want a 26 why not a shield in 9mm? I personally hate the .40 shield reminds me of a snub nose 357.

Haha carrying a spare G26 mag does suck lol. It this little chubby thing

It's a personal comfort level and an obvious trade off between comfort and capacity.

Obviously if you knew you were going to get into a gun fight you would bring a full size pistol with hi-cap mags (assuming you couldn't bring a rifle). Otherwise, it's just a choice - I don't think I'd be comfortable with 2 or 3 rounds, but for some reason 6 or 7 (plus an extra mag) seems ok to me.

Why is the shield a .40? you have a 19 and want a 26 why not a shield in 9mm? I personally hate the .40 shield reminds me of a snub nose 357.

When I bought the Shield, I actually wanted the 9MM version, but it was when they first came out, so they were hard to find. I put my name on wait lists for both calibers and the 40 came in first. If I had it to do all over again, I would have waited for the 9MM. That being said, I don't hate the 40 enough to get rid of it and the recoil is manageable with the rubberized grip tape I got for it.

Back
Top Bottom