carry at work

A buddy of mine recent started a job at the courthouse. He has looked into the office policy for anything relating to firearms but has not found anything that excludes carry a firearm in the courthouse. I know in MA you are prohibited from carrying in courthouses and schools but does this only apply to the "common citizen" and not court employees. Thoughts? As I mentioned before, He just started and doesn't seem quiet comfortable with talking this over with HR as of yet.

Not true from a statutory perspective, however, Presiding Judges do have the authority to set and control their own courthouse weapons policies.

Wasn't there a story, not too long ago, where a Mississippi judge made all kinds of waves with this? Either said everybody could carry, or nobody could carry. I don't remember.

You may not be comfortable with HR, but I think that's the only way you're going to get that to pass. Nobody here can answer that question with certainty.

A buddy of mine recent started a job at the courthouse. He has looked into the office policy for anything relating to firearms but has not found anything that excludes carry a firearm in the courthouse. I know in MA you are prohibited from carrying in courthouses and schools but does this only apply to the "common citizen" and not court employees. Thoughts? As I mentioned before, He just started and doesn't seem quiet comfortable with talking this over with HR as of yet.

It is very unlikely that they will allow it (or not fire him just for asking frankly). Many courthouses in MA don't even let cops carry guns inside the court house. It's very common for cops showing up for testimony to have empty holsters. Why do you think the lock box is there? They only allow court security to be armed.

No Trail Court employee may cary a weapon on his/her person in any courthouses.

The only ones allowed to carry are State and Municipal police officers, and Sheriffs/deputy sherriffs and only if they are in the court on official duty.

Non-state or Non-municipal police officers, constables, and campus police are required to secure weapons prior to entry to the Courthouse.

The judge may at his discretion prohibit anyone, including police officers, from carrying in the courtroom.

Employees who are authorized to carry weapons may enter the court building with it, but are required to check them in at security and will be stored in the gun lockers during the time they are in the building.

Hopefully this answers your question. Let me know if you need to know anything else on this matter.

It is very unlikely that they will allow it (or not fire him just for asking frankly). Many courthouses in MA don't even let cops carry guns inside the court house. It's very common for cops showing up for testimony to have empty holsters. Why do you think the lock box is there? They [STRIKE=undefined]only[/STRIKE] DO NOT EVEN allow court security to be armed.

FIFY

I know the senior court officer in Superior Court and neither he nor any others carry on the job. I doubt he even knows how to operate a firearm of any type.

No Trail Court employee may cary a weapon on his/her person in any courthouses.

The only ones allowed to carry are State and Municipal police officers, and Sheriffs/deputy sherriffs and only if they are in the court on official duty.

Non-state or Non-municipal police officers, constables, and campus police are required to secure weapons prior to entry to the Courthouse.

The judge may at his discretion prohibit anyone, including police officers, from carrying in the courtroom.

Employees who are authorized to carry weapons may enter the court building with it, but are required to check them in at security and will be stored in the gun lockers during the time they are in the building.

Hopefully this answers your question. Let me know if you need to know anything else on this matter.

He speaks the truth!

In addition, for non LEO's many courthouses no longer offer lock box services to the common citizen.

Back
Top Bottom