• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

carry ammo

In the Glock 40's it became a REAL problem, known as the Glock KABOOM

Somebody above me in this thread alluded to it

The feed ramp of the Glock 40's was such that when you chambered the round, many bullets would get forced back into the case just a C hair

One shot deal, not a problem

Go home, drop the mag, eject the round, put it back in the magazine, next time you carry you insert the mag and rack the slide to put the round back in the chamber.... it moves back some more.

At some point, doing this more than a couple of times pushes the bullet back in the case far enough to cause an over pressurization issue, and when you pull the trigger the gun explodes.

This is not myth, it is not internet lore, it is a real thing.

So any semi you have that you keep chambering the same round needs to be looked at for setback, it may exist, and once you look or measure the overall length you can figure out if it is something you have to look out for

Lots of guys with Glock 40's would toss the round into a can after the second or third chambering and use it for range ammo

It is also an issue in Glock 10mm's but they are not heard about in large numbers because there are not as many 10mm pistols out there

View attachment 692854
It is or was problem with all non 9mm Glocks. The chamber in all calibers except 9mm does or did not fully support the chambered round so an excessive setback causes/caused the unsupported portion of the casing to blow out. I'm not sure if after Gen 3 this issue was corrected or not. Engineers got lazy trying to keep production simple by not changing certain dimensions.

I shoot my carry ammo regularly because I have yet to find a "practice" ammo that shoots exact POA/POI as my carry ammo.

If I intended to defend myself with practice ammo... I would carry practice ammo... 🤔
That was the beauty of the WW Q loads. They were certified to be ballistically equivalent to our duty SXT / Ranger T loads at significantly less cost. It was acceptable to the NJ AG and covered the AG Guidelines on firearms.

That would be a problem with some of the more unusual rounds being manufactured today.

Our duty ammo was replaced no later than one year and fired off at one of the qualification sessions.

Wait a minute.....................

You guys carry.......................LOADED GUNZ!!!!!!!!!!!????????????
i was going to make a joke about only letting my older guns drink, but then realized that there are people born after the year 2000 that can legally drink in the US. Now I feel really old.

Back
Top Bottom