• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carried concealed for the first time

I've had my unrestricted LTC-A since this past summer, but I haven't carried concealed until today. I work at a college, so carrying on a regular basis has never been an option for me. I also wanted to be confident that I had a lot of practice with my gun, a good holster, etc, before carrying. Some might say I over think things, but carrying a loaded gun seems like a pretty big responsibility to me.

Anyway, tonight I had 4 appointments lined up to show an apartment I have for rent to prospective tenants who saw my add on craigslist. It struck me that if there was ever a time when I should get over my paranoia and strap on the crossbreed (which I also bought last summer), tonight was the night.

All I can say is it felt great! I dressed around the gun, and although I found myself double checking a time or two, I really didn't have much concern about being "made" or printing. I also (having spent so much time at the range) felt really comfortable that should I ever have to draw my gun, I could do so confidently (although I'm sure when the adrenalin started pumping things wouldn't seem so "planned").

Anyway, just wanted to share the experience. It gave me a real confidence knowing I was as prepared as possible in the unlikely event that some nut showed up.

That is great to hear my friend. I am looking forward to carrying for the first time this weekend. Thanks for sharing the experience.

That is great! Good feeling the first time eh?

Well there you go folks, another instance of a citizen carrying...................... and nothing happened.

Good call and good luck! Hopefully ill be able to carry soon as well...
(Waiting for the lovely state of RI to send me my permit

Some might say I over think things, but carrying a loaded gun seems like a pretty big responsibility to me.

You're damn right it is! When I think about how I wished everyone carried, I then get to thinking of people I meet everyday and realize that it's not for everybody. There is a mindset that one must get to. A mindset of great resposibility, and for some a character change.

One of my friends who I've taken to the range a bunch of times says he wouldn't carry because he thinks he'll get too upset in a confrontation (road rage type) and use it. To me, that's a pretty scary thing to hear! I would never get INTO a confrontation anyways, nevermind when I am carrying. It was odd to hear that he didn't trust himself not to keep a clear head. He has the interest in guns, can shoot well, but hasn't let gun culture seep into his mind and fully understand it's more than just getting your license and throwing one on.

Carrying is the biggest responsibility that I currently have. When I am out in public, I analyze people and keep aware of my surroundings. At restaurants, I face the main entrance when possible or atleast take a seat that gives me the best view of the most people (also if a Bruins game is on, this factors in[smile]).

I carry for myself, but there is no doubt that in essence, I carry for everyone else too.

You're damn right it is! When I think about how I wished everyone carried, I then get to thinking of people I meet everyday and realize that it's not for everybody. There is a mindset that one must get to. A mindset of great resposibility, and for some a character change.

One of my friends who I've taken to the range a bunch of times says he wouldn't carry because he thinks he'll get too upset in a confrontation (road rage type) and use it. To me, that's a pretty scary thing to hear! I would never get INTO a confrontation anyways, nevermind when I am carrying. It was odd to hear that he didn't trust himself not to keep a clear head. He has the interest in guns, can shoot well, but hasn't let gun culture seep into his mind and fully understand it's more than just getting your license and throwing one on.

Carrying is the biggest responsibility that I currently have. When I am out in public, I analyze people and keep aware of my surroundings. At restaurants, I face the main entrance when possible or atleast take a seat that gives me the best view of the most people (also if a Bruins game is on, this factors in[smile]).

I carry for myself, but there is no doubt that in essence, I carry for everyone else too.

Good for him for recognizing it! At least he has some rationality and common sense, even if he can't control his temper?

Cool beans! It is a big responsibility, but we're all big boys and girls here, despite what our "dear leaders" say otherwise.

I rarely leave the house without my carry now,it's just part of my daily getting dressed ritual.

You'll get very comfortable with it quickly. Welcome to the club.

just don't buy any girl scout cookies, guaranteed disaster thread. [mg]

far from the first time i carried a gun but i guess my coat covered too much of it so the tracks didn't go oOoOoO but []o[]o[]o or some shit.

Well put!

You have to trust yourself first before you can trust others. While I think someone who can't trust in themselves to behave probably need a little work, I can't fault them for removing the risk.

Hmm..interesting thread. I totally agree that one should be good enough with a gun before they start carrying, I also agree that carrying a firearm is a natural right that comes with tremendous responsibility.

What I don't understand is why the OP felt the need to "share" his feelings. The whole idea behind concealed carry is that nobody knows you are carrying. Maybe it is a generational thing, where everybody has to Tweet how they feel and what they are doing at the moment....or perhaps it is the idea that everything we do is an achievement that deserves sharing and praise (like when everybody gets a trophy on the softball team just for showing up) and we just "have" to share it so we can be praised for it.

I mean no disrespect to the OP at all, in fact I applaud his diligence and sense of moral responsibility...but does one need to turn the first day of CCW into "show and tell"?

One of my friends who I've taken to the range a bunch of times says he wouldn't carry because he thinks he'll get too upset in a confrontation (road rage type) and use it. To me, that's a pretty scary thing to hear! I would never get INTO a confrontation anyways, nevermind when I am carrying. It was odd to hear that he didn't trust himself not to keep a clear head.
Hell, Mike - I think your friend is showing a GREAT level of self-knowledge and maturity! That he knows himself well enough to doubt if he could keep his cool and thus, NOT carry, to me is quite laudable. I'm impressed, frankly. I'm sure that when he comes to trust himself he will start carrying.

I mean no disrespect to the OP at all, in fact I applaud his diligence and sense of moral responsibility...but does one need to turn the first day of CCW into "show and tell"?

Oh, come on, Mark - it's that whole "I've got a secret" thing. He's dying to tell SOMEONE... and given the relative anonymity of the 'net, he feels safe enough to confide it here. As Brother Ben Franklin said, "Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead."

I personally think if anywhere this is the best place to come and discuss something like this. First off your speaking to like minded individuals, second off if your going to be criticized anywhere this will be the place that at least it may be constructive.

You guys got me thinking...
It's funny, this whole time I felt bad for my friend because his temper was holding him back yet in reality, there's no need to feel bad at all! He doesn't!

I can understand Mark's post, and if this forum listed street address and your pic next to your posts I would ABSOLUTELY agree. The reason that I like and approve of people posting their first carry stories is that you have as much or as little anonymity as you like. Sharing a post like the OP will bring about encouragement, tips, and pitfalls.

It's sort of like the first time you drive a car by yourself. You are all "HOLY CRAP I AM DRIVING, LOOK OUT MOFOS, LICENSED DRIVER!!!! WOO HOO, ok ok, calm down, coming up to a merge sign, be cool, ok, and, YES I F'NG MERGED!! whoa, big truck coming the other way, ambulance behind me, sweet jebus, I hope I can pull this off and pull over in time!",

Now you don't even give it a second thought, you hop in and hit the road.

I can understand Mark's post, and if this forum listed street address and your pic next to your posts I would ABSOLUTELY agree. The reason that I like and approve of people posting their first carry stories is that you have as much or as little anonymity as you like. Sharing a post like the OP will bring about encouragement, tips, and pitfalls.

Well I can tell you right now if I ever meet Epic Cat Beard Hair Man up in New Hampshire I am staying far away cause I know he is packing ;)

Oh, come on, Mark - it's that whole "I've got a secret" thing. He's dying to tell SOMEONE... and given the relative anonymity of the 'net, he feels safe enough to confide it here. As Brother Ben Franklin said, "Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead."

I personally think if anywhere this is the best place to come and discuss something like this. First off your speaking to like minded individuals, second off if your going to be criticized anywhere this will be the place that at least it may be constructive.

I should point out that I understand the OP's point of view perfectly, BTW. I wasn't criticizing above, just explaining.

I should point out that I understand the OP's point of view perfectly, BTW. I wasn't criticizing above, just explaining.

And your point was absolutely valid, no harm no foul. I am kind of the guy that always wants to "tell somebody" for the most part haha.

Last edited:
It's sort of like the first time you drive a car by yourself. You are all "HOLY CRAP I AM DRIVING, LOOK OUT MOFOS, LICENSED DRIVER!!!! WOO HOO, ok ok, calm down, coming up to a merge sign, be cool, ok, and, YES I F'NG MERGED!! whoa, big truck coming the other way, ambulance behind me, sweet jebus, I hope I can pull this off and pull over in time!",

Now you don't even give it a second thought, you hop in and hit the road.

You know what...and please read this carefully because no offense is intended towards anyone...that's what is wrong with our culture today. I'll explain: driving a vehicle is a privilege granted by the state through qualification and licensure. It has become a rite of passage in adolescence. But you know what? Carrying a firearm is a natural right and one should not have to make a big deal out of it, no more than "I went to church on Sunday" (1st Amendment), or "I carried a firearm" (2nd Amendment), it should be no big deal. When we make a big deal about exercising a constitutional right and natural right, to me it is only an indicator that as a society we are beyond the pale. Some who post on these boards, especially those who come from non-gun-culture households in non-gun culture states, occasionally write as if the state is doing them some damned favor to exercise what is their right to begin with, and that it is somehow "special" to carry a gun. Now I am aware of the realities of living in Massachusetts where it is viewed as a privilege rather than a right, but it seems like those of us who are subjects of the Commonwealth are falling into the mindset that we are doing something very special rather than something very ordinary and very natural.

If put in that context, I think we should at least pause and reflect.

Now there is nothing wrong with discussing concealed carry and there are actually a couple of books which are very good that cover the subject. I think and agree with several other posters this is a perfect forum for discussing the subject in that context.

Last edited:
You know what...and please read this carefully because no offense is intended towards anyone...that's what is wrong with our culture today. I'll explain: driving a vehicle is a privilege granted by the state through qualification and licensure. It has become a rite of passage in adolescence. But you know what? Carrying a firearm is a natural right and one should not have to make a big deal out of it, no more than "I went to church on Sunday" (1st Amendment), or "I carried a firearm" (2nd Amendment), it should be no big deal. When we make a big deal about exercising a constitutional right and natural right, to me it is only an indicator that as a society we are beyond the pale. Some who post on these boards, especially those who come from non-gun-culture households in non-gun culture states, occasionally write as if the state is doing them some damned favor to exercise what is their right to begin with, and that it is somehow "special" to carry a gun. Now I am aware of the realities of living in Massachusetts where it is viewed as a privilege rather than a right, but it seems like those of us who are subjects of the Commonwealth are falling into the mindset that we are doing something very special rather than something very ordinary and very natural.

If put in that context, I think we should at least pause and reflect.

Now there is nothing wrong with discussing concealed carry and there are actually a couple of books which are very good that cover the subject. I think and agree with several other posters this is a perfect forum for discussing the subject in that context.

I like this and agree fully. It's sad that it IS a big deal. If there was a "protocol" for these types of threads, I would say it's:
1.) Praise Newbie
2.) Then follow up with: Carrying a firearm is a natural right and one should not have to make a big deal out of it, no more than "I went to church on Sunday" (1st Amendment), or "I carried a firearm" (2nd Amendment), it should be no big deal. When we make a big deal about exercising a constitutional right and natural right, to me it is only an indicator that as a society we are beyond the pale.

Back
Top Bottom