Carpeted room for reloading?

FrugalFannie

NES Member
So the only space I can reload in at our current location is a bedroom that has carpet wall to wall. We are renting so we obviously will not be tearing up the carpet and putting in hardwood or anything. There is no basement and the garage is subject to all the temperature changes and humidity of North Texas.

Is it safe to reload in a room with carpet? I'm very hesitant to do this.

What is the concern? I reload on a carpet and never thought twice about it.

Some possibilities:

- Static electricity
- Difficulty in cleaning if powder (or other reloading related dirt/muck) gets into the carpet
- harder to find parts that fall

I think it would be nice, no more spilled primers bouncing all over the place, or springs and do-dads rolling into unknown corners never to be seen again......

Ive loaded in a carpeted room and experienced zero issues. If your worried about static electricity shock or something, I'd say that the few years I loaded in a carpeted room I never experienced it, now my set-up for the past 5 years has been tile, and no-kidding if I wear wool socks with my house slippers around the house I get a good zap touching stuff thats plugged in to something with a power source. but, either way......never had a problem of any kind in regards to loading.

My old room was carpeted, I just put a large rubber matt down on the floor in front of my bench, on really dry days I would touch my bench vice just in case before handling powder or primers but I never had any issues either.

I wouldn't worry much about static, assuming you keep your area clean, just don't let powder build up.
i use an airhose to blow powder toM the corner of the room then clean it up.(no carpets)

With carpet i would just recommended if you think you might spill powder or primers to lay a towel out under the area. If you have a spill the towel make clean up or primer recover easier..

Maybe use one of those large plastic sheets? I dont know what theyre called, but people use them under an office chair to make it easier to roll the chair around rather than the wheels digging into the carpet. It should keep the majority of powder off the carpet.

eta- chair mats

http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/46x60-chair-mats-large/cbxRefine=377781&N=5+501496/

Those things *increase* static, I wouldn't use one of those.

Plus they're kind of unpleasant.

I've read two accounts of the primer magazine on a Dillon 650 blowing up. Both times it was on carpet, and the guys that wrote about them thought it was static.

With that said, I tried hard to get a primer to go off with a very powerful gas grill igniter and was not able to do it. That doesn't mean it won't happen though.

Last edited:
Some possibilities:

- Static electricity
- Difficulty in cleaning if powder (or other reloading related dirt/muck) gets into the carpet
- harder to find parts that fall

eh, preferable not to, but i did it for 3 years w/o problems. Used to cringe when vacuuming, but nothing ever happened.

Back
Top Bottom