• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

carpal tunnel syndrome

I started developing symptoms from typing, of all things. Fingers started to feel numb and lost of range of movement. Changed out to a curved ergonomic keyboard and they went away. Hoping this continues to be the solution. Friend of mine who fully developed it now has to type with index fingers only. He was previously in the 70-80 wpm category.

I started developing symptoms from typing, of all things. Fingers started to feel numb and lost of range of movement. Changed out to a curved ergonomic keyboard and they went away. Hoping this continues to be the solution. Friend of mine who fully developed it now has to type with index fingers only. He was previously in the 70-80 wpm category.
A trackball mouse helps a lot too. I use a thumb trackball. It immobilizes the wrist. Big difference maker. I work in IT and bang on a keyboard for a living. Trust me.

A trackball mouse helps a lot too. I use a thumb trackball. It immobilizes the wrist. Big difference maker. I work in IT and bang on a keyboard for a living. Trust me.

I had at one time considered a vertical mouse. Those are the type you hold like a beer bottle, thus preventing radial twist on the wrist when in use. But for most, it's the keyboard that's the problem. Simple little set up things that most people have used for years end up being the worst for anyone who types a lot. Like the feet on the back of keyboards that raise the back edge--terrible for form. If anything, the rear edge should be lower than the front, and the front should be as low as it can be on the surface it sits on, but that's not often available. The curve of my new keyboard proved to be just enough to relieve the angle at the wrists. It has worked so far.

Maybe when this surgery heals up and I'm back to reloading, I'll stop dropping bullets on the floor.
I have recommended acupuncture to treat carpal tunnel to a few people and it worked for them and didn't require surgery. One person I worked with came in one day with a cast on her right wrist and she mentioned she just had the surgery and she was going to have to have the other wrist done as well. She ended up going for acupuncture treatments and never needed the surgery.

I know it's late for you, but others in this thread may consider it, or not. YMMV, but it's worth investigating vs. surgery.

I have recommended acupuncture to treat carpal tunnel to a few people and it worked for them and didn't require surgery. One person I worked with came in one day with a cast on her right wrist and she mentioned she just had the surgery and she was going to have to have the other wrist done as well. She ended up going for acupuncture treatments and never needed the surgery.

I know it's late for you, but others in this thread may consider it, or not. YMMV, but it's worth investigating vs. surgery.
Already had the neurology study. Def need the surgery. Would have had it already, but the Dr I was seeing had to leave the practice to care for his kids...ex-wife issue I am told...
Seeing the new Doc tomorrow and I imagine scheduling the op. Sooner the better.

Already had the neurology study. Def need the surgery. Would have had it already, but the Dr I was seeing had to leave the practice to care for his kids...ex-wife issue I am told...
Seeing the new Doc tomorrow and I imagine scheduling the op. Sooner the better.
Best of luck, I hope all goes well.

I sonetimes sleep with wristbands on, it helps. My case isnt too extreme though. I wake up in pain if i use handtools a lot diring the day.

Had a roommate once that wore orthopedic wristbands for carpal tunnel. I used to clown him for it, without having any frame of reference myself how crippling it can be. But I suppose he gets the last laugh, as now in my 40's, I'm starting to feel it myself and those wristbands are sounding like a legit idea now.

I wish mine came from something more manly than just typing though...ha! But I do type a lot for work. Ever wear out a keyboard until the caps are shiny?

20220128_090655.jpg

Just had surgery last Tuesday, painless and took about 20 minutes. Excellent local to me hand surgeon… bandage and stitches comes off Monday…can tell right hand is100% better..”strange” to go lefty all week for basis task..LOL!!…waiting for left hand surgery until end of Summer…too much on “honey do” list.

Back
Top Bottom