Careful what you say on a forum, SEI sues poster on another forum

I think the merits of this suit probably depend on if the statements in question are true or false, which I can't tell from the complaint.

Looks like the PR plan didn't pay off, though.

Last edited:
This guy was served with a 75 paragraph advertisement for SEI receivers.

Also, if anyone has an SEI receiver they don't trust anymore, send it this way.

Wow... for a second their I thought this was about SEIU (the thugs). That sucks, I wonder if they will help out in numbers like people here did for nottom. Good luck on that suit.

Sent from my phone, blame auto spell for the havked ip words...

Well, it looks like the plaintiff is not too worried about discussing his manufacturing procedures ... 'cause in a deposition they'll have to speak at length about it and likely at trial.

Smith Enterprises. They make the finest forged M1A receivers on the planet. But you will pay a pretty penny.

And wait a very long time from what I read on the M14 thread (at least with some receivers) ... not to happy folks who are customers of theirs ...from what I saw at that thread.

Wow. I had one of their brakes on an M1A before, seemed well made. This is about the dumbest thing they could do, though. No amount of "disparaging" remarks on a forum from one person could possibly outweigh the effect of suing said person. This will not end well for SEI.

Terminally stupid on their part, instead of just issuing a press release which contradicted the rumors with fact... they go full retard. [thinking]

-Mike

Another case where gun company management's abject stupidity is going to bite them in the ass. And for what? Do they really figure this will result in a net gain?

Read the complaint - it's full of curious information, such as "forging introducing additional stresses", "widely known in the firearms industry that bar stock is superior to both forgings and castings" (ok, so they got that one half right).

Last edited:
Smith Enterprises. They make the finest forged M1A receivers on the planet. But you will pay a pretty penny.

My understanding is they aren't forged. They're machined out of bar stock.

LRB does make forged M14 receivers and that's what I'd buy if I had the $. Until then, I'm happy with my lowly Springfield.

Careful, if you say they are forged and they are milled, or vice versa, they might sue you.

Maybe it's just best if nobody ever mentions them again, lest they make an error or a material misstatement and be sued.

In fact for Derek's own safety, perhaps he should set up a filter on the forum to prevent anyone from accidentally mentioning them in a future... as a service to them, so that no material misstatement could be made.

Just thinking. I'm sure they're a fine company who makes a fine product and hires fine lawyers.

Last edited:
My understanding is they aren't forged. They're machined out of bar stock.

LRB does make forged M14 receivers and that's what I'd buy if I had the $. Until then, I'm happy with my lowly Springfield.

I think that they are machined ... why it takes 7 months to produce one (they make them 1 at a time, indicating milled) is a mystery.

Of course they used to make these before according to what they said ... why they have problems today tends to lend to a guess that they are having processing issues. The claim they heat treat these via several processes .. maybe they are having issues with ovens..not uncommon

This is what happens when the marketing department gets ahold of the keys to the lawyer's office.

Even if their claims are true, the are hurting their case just by bringing it. They will need to prove "special damages" that resulted from the alleged statements, assuming all other elements are proved. (Usually by showing decreased prestige, respect, sales figures...) This lawsuit will hurt their standing and reputation in the community more than a few speculative forum posts ever would, and now Hammond's lawyer can say their "damages" are attributable to backlash from the community, not from rumors about heat treatment and broken threads.

Dumb all around.

Yeah, and with the way they talk to customers and treat customers they are going to have a hard time proving that it was not THEIR behavior that did more harm than the defendants.

Plus once you start talking about loss of business, you are opening up your books...easy to hammer out a defense.

Back
Top Bottom