• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carcano clips

Upland

NES Member
Looking for a few Carcano clips,and maybe a source for 6.5 Carcano ammo locally. I know I can get the clips at Numrich but I know there are some gathering dust somewhere. How about a source for bayonets? I don't know too much about these rifles and picked one up for an example of a Italian WWII rifle. It's a M41 in very nice condition.

If you're in NH, 619 DW (Merrimack) usually carries the ammo as well as Riley's I believe.

For the clips, Numrich is a good option as is ebay.

The bayonets can be pretty expensive, and your best bet for those is either gunbroker or ebay.

Others may be able to correct me, but I believe the m41 used a fixed detachable bayonet. they should be a little cheaper to get than the folding detachable bayonets.

some good resources

http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/models.html

http://candrsenal.com/terminology-a-quick-and-dirty-guide-to-carcano-rifle-models/

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Looking for a few Carcano clips,and maybe a source for 6.5 Carcano ammo locally. I know I can get the clips at Numrich but I know there are some gathering dust somewhere. How about a source for bayonets? I don't know too much about these rifles and picked one up for an example of a Italian WWII rifle. It's a M41 in very nice condition.

I wouldn't bother with the ammo. The Carcano is pretty much a wall hanger. The bullets come tumbling along, keyholing targets already at 25 yards. The ammo is weak, because the actions of the rifles were so weak and sloppy.

I wouldn't bother with the ammo. The Carcano is pretty much a wall hanger. The bullets come tumbling along, keyholing targets already at 25 yards. The ammo is weak, because the actions of the rifles were so weak and sloppy.

Hog wash.... with the correct bullet just as accurate as most surplus rifles if the bore is not complete junk.
Going back a few many years there was not a lot of ammo around for them and a .268" bullet was not something that was "common"
I cast lee 270 lead bullets for friend and he loads up a 2000fps cast load and will hold the 10 ring and better of a SR 1 target with out much effort.
With the proper size bullet your should be able to get a fair bore carcano shooting to at least your skill level.

I gave my friend a call and he says the PPU 139gn FMJBT and Norma 156 grain have the .268" bullet and shoot very well out of his rifle while the other offerings from ppu have loads with .264" bullets.

He also said he's been loading the hornady .267" fmj round nose from hornady but says at 50 cents each he's not going to deep with those and staying with cast.

If you have a bore that is over sized or cut down from one of those progressive then you have to deal with that.

Last edited:

He is right the Carcano could not even hit a president at about 173 feet, wait I think it did?

Attachments

• KKL.jpg
    KKL.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Agreed about carcanos being great rifles.

In my opinion, if you're going to reload for your cacano you should slug the bore. My carcano doesn't like the PPU ammo, but the hornady ammo with the correct bullet diameter (.267) works great.

If using irons, they also use a different sight picture than we are used to. You will want to put the top of the post at the bottom of the notch.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

My friend said he has had good luck with the clips from Northridge also the steel reproduction ones he says have been good but seem to be sold out.

Hog wash.... with the correct bullet just as accurate as most surplus rifles if the bore is not complete junk.
Going back a few many years there was not a lot of ammo around for them and a .268" bullet was not something that was "common"
I cast lee 270 lead bullets for friend and he loads up a 2000fps cast load and will hold the 10 ring and better of a SR 1 target with out much effort.
With the proper size bullet your should be able to get a fair bore carcano shooting to at least your skill level.

I gave my friend a call and he says the PPU 139gn FMJBT and Norma 156 grain have the .268" bullet and shoot very well out of his rifle while the other offerings from ppu have loads with .264" bullets.

He also said he's been loading the hornady .267" fmj round nose from hornady but says at 50 cents each he's not going to deep with those and staying with cast.

If you have a bore that is over sized or cut down from one of those progressive then you have to deal with that.

My apologies. I stand corrected. There is quite a difference between the Second (1970's) and Seventh (2010's) editions of the Hornady Handbook review of the Carcano.
I was given one ( a long but funny story ) in 1974. Fired a few rounds with factory ammo and got terrible keyholing and horrible groups. I read the Hornady Handbook review:
"The post WWII importations of surplus Italian Model 91 rifles chambered for the 6.5mm Carcano cartridge (or 6.5mm x 52mm Mannlicher Carcano),and their subsequent sale to American shooters at justifiably low prices has given wide distribution to this firearm.
In retrospect, the prices may not have been low enough. The action of the 6.5mm Carcano is sloppy and lacks the extra margin of safety of the best military actions; the finish of the rifle is crude. Scope mounting is difficult and the essentially not worth the effort."

After reading this, I set the rifle aside. I haven't fired it since.

The newlnHornady Handbook tells a very different story. Apparently this cartridge requires a .267" diameter bullet rather than the standard .264" 6.5mm bullets (Hornady sells 160gr roundnose)
N
The ammo I tried could very well be the reason mine performed so poorly.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with yours

Last edited:
My apologies. I stand corrected. There is quite a difference between the Second (1970's) and Seventh (2010's) editions of the Hornady Handbook review of the Carcano.
I was given one ( a long but funny story ) in 1974. Fired a few rounds with factory ammo and got terrible keyholing and horrible groups. I read the Hornady Handbook review:
"The post WWII importations of surplus Italian Model 91 rifles chambered for the 6.5mm Carcano cartridge (or 6.5mm x 52mm Mannlicher Carcano),and their subsequent sale to American shooters at justifiably low prices has given wide distribution to this firearm.
In retrospect, the prices may not have been low enough. The action of the 6.5mm Carcano is sloppy and lacks the extra margin of safety of the best military actions; the finish of the rifle is crude. Scope mounting is difficult and the essentially not worth the effort."

After reading this, I set the rifle aside. I haven't fired it since.

The newlnHornady Handbook tells a very different story. Apparently this cartridge requires a .267" diameter bullet rather than the standard .264" 6.5mm bullets (Hornady sells 160gr roundnose)
N
The ammo I tried could very well be the reason mine performed so poorly.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with yours

its a battle rifle its going to be a bit sloppy... most of the battle rifles where good for minute of man I think the 1903 was the last rifle and those marines trained to shoot it held tp a higher level of accuracy.
Im don't know much about the carcarno and if my friend did not have a few I would know even less.
The 6,5 was not a overly powerful round by many standards so the standard locking lug and the bolt handle being the fail safe if the lugs happen to shear off.....
never designed to have optics on it.

I don't understand hornady's position on the margin of safety the bolt is a basic mauser design?

Any how short of a trash bore "most" surplus rifles can be made to shoot well enough and if so better than most shooters skills, Especially infantry skills. Also consider when the M38 and M41 where being developed and how the ammo and guns where made in a hurry under pressure of war.

im not sure why I have not added a Cacarno to my surplus rifle collection.... well maybe because they are ugly ? I do how ever have a few rounds of 6.5 sitting around that will sprout into a rifle eventually

Seemed to work for lee harvey Oswald

Great information so far,thanks everyone. I picked it up because of the condition and it was so inexpensive for a WWII rifle. I am looking forward to trying it out,but don't anticipate shooting it a lot.

The connection to the JFK assassination is also interesting for anyone who enjoys the history of these old military surplus rifles.

I will try to get some pictures up when I get a chance.

Oswald paid 20$ for his rifle from Kliens.
Also the FBI reported that Oswald 20$ gun was accurate and could shoot 3" groups at 100 yards.
That's well with in as issued infantry rifles ammo.

- - - Updated - - -

Oswald paid 20$ for his rifle from Kliens.
Also the FBI reported that Oswald 20$ gun was accurate and could shoot 3" groups at 100 yards.
That's well with in as issued infantry rifles ammo.

No clips yet,still looking.I bought a couple of boxes of Privi ammo from B&K sales.

I have a list saved on my phone for items I'm looking for when I'm rummaging around gun stores.

No clips yet,still looking.I bought a couple of boxes of Privi ammo from B&K sales.

I have a list saved on my phone for items I'm looking for when I'm rummaging around gun stores.
Which ammo did you get? Did you slug your bore by chance ?

Back
Top Bottom