Carbine Training with Dave Harrington at Worcester Pistol & Rifle – May 2, 3, 2008

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
Carbine Training with Dave Harrington

Shooters, come join an exclusive carbine training course taught by Dave Harrington, a former Special Forces Counter-Terror Operator and Trainer, and an IDPA and IPSC/USPSA Master May 2 and 3, 2008 at the Worcester Pistol & Rifle Club, Boylston, MA. (www.wprclub.com)

In addition to the need for an AR-15 or similar carbine, 1,000 rounds plus of ammo, four or more magazines, a cleaning kit and a first aid and trauma kit, you should also plan to bring your defensive pistol, holster, mag pouches, mags, and at least 500 rounds of ammo for your pistol, and at least 1,000 rounds for your rifle.

The cost of this course is $350, payable to me at my office address as listed below. For your convenience, you may pay the fee by cash, check or a credit card. Space is limited. You must pay the fee in advance to reserve a slot for yourself. I expect this class will fill up quickly.

Please contact me if you have any questions or would like more detailed information such as the course description and equipment list.

Darius

Darius Arbabi, Esq.
600 Worcester Road, Suite 504
Framingham, MA 01702
(508) 395-6500 (cell)
(508) 879-5879 (office)
www.massgunlaw.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke with Dave Harrington yesterday. He told me that we can bring any military-style rifle to the training. Among other rifles, he mentioned AKs, Galils, and M1 Garands.

This is going to be a heck of a course.

By the way, do you know what a "hard zero" is?

I'll get you the funds soon Darius.

Question for Derek or other experienced rifle shooters: I'm right handed and cross eye dominant. When I shoot my AR I close my dominant eye (left) and use my weak eye. I'm not sure how this will work in combat shooting. I've had mixed responses varying from "learn to shoot with both eyes open (which I can't figure out!)" to tape your left eye glass (which would hose me when switching to handgun- where I use my left eye). Sorry for OT- send me IM if you can.

I'm also interested in taking this training. Cross-X, when you say the class is filling up quickly, how many spots are still left? I'm trying to scrap together the money for this, but I may not have it until next month. Any chance there will still be slots left by then? These group buys are killing my savings account.

I'm also interested in taking this training. Cross-X, when you say the class is filling up quickly, how many spots are still left? I'm trying to scrap together the money for this, but I may not have it until next month. Any chance there will still be slots left by then? These group buys are killing my savings account.

About eight are left at the moment.

I can't predict when those will be gone too. If it's easier for you, I do accept credit cards.

Lugnut I dont think you will have a problem with shooting the AR like that. I do the same exact thing. Unless that eye was removed, stomped on, and put back in. [wink]

By the way, do you know what a "hard zero" is?
That means zero your rifle for a known distance and be SURE that it is on. Then know where your round of choice hits at different distances closer and farther than your chosen zero without changing your sight's elevation setting.

I recommend a 50 yard zero, where your trajectory will be within 1.75" of line of sight from 25 to 225 yards and about 6 to 7 inches low at 300 yards.

Know the effects of wind on your ammo's trajectory as well.

Having a hard zero on a weapon is a sign of a competent rifleman.

That means zero your rifle for a known distance and be SURE that it is on. Then know where your round of choice hits at different distances closer and farther than your chosen zero without changing your sight's elevation setting.

I recommend a 50 yard zero, where your trajectory will be within 1.75" of line of sight from 25 to 225 yards and about 6 to 7 inches low at 300 yards.

Know the effects of wind on your ammo's trajectory as well.

Having a hard zero on a weapon is a sign of a competent rifleman.

That's it, exactly!

It is one thing to make a nice group at fifty yards, but for many, doing a similarly excellent group at two hundred may be very difficult.

That's it, exactly!

It is one thing to make a nice group at fifty yards, but for many, doing a similarly excellent group at two hundred may be very difficult.

LOL- Knowing your hard zero at 50yds doesn't garantee a good group at 200 yds. No matter where it is. [wink]

FWIW I zeroed my AR 15 at 25 yds. If I remember correctly the 2nd zero should be at 225-250 depending on rounds. I think impact should be about 4-6" high at about 100 yds. Looks like I should do some reading again before the class. [laugh]

FWIW I zeroed my AR 15 at 25 yds. If I remember correctly the 2nd zero should be at 225-250 depending on rounds. I think impact should be about 4-6" high at about 100 yds. Looks like I should do some reading again before the class. [laugh]
With a 25 yard zero you will be 6 inches high at 100 yards, 9 inches high at 225 and back at zero at 350 yards.

A 50 yard zero is a much flatter trajectory at the distances that combat carbines are most commonly used. With a 50 yard zero you are 1 inch low at 25, 3/4" high at 75, from 1.4 to 1.6 high between 100 and 150, 1 high at 175, back on at 200, 2.75 low at 250 and 8 low at 300.

With a 25 yard zero you will be 6 inches high at 100 yards, 9 inches high at 225 and back at zero at 350 yards.

A 50 yard zero is a much flatter trajectory at the distances that combat carbines are most commonly used. With a 50 yard zero you are 1 inch low at 25, 3/4" high at 75, from 1.4 to 1.6 high between 100 and 150, 1 high at 175, back on at 200, 2.75 low at 250 and 8 low at 300.

Wow. I'll have to reread some of my AR/.223 stuff. My Bushmaster manual said if you zero in the AR at 25M with the long range aperture the 2nd zero will be at 375 meters- however if you then use the "std" aperture the 2nd zero will be at 250M but your 1st zero will be low- but an overall appearance of a flatter trajectory in that range. Damn I have some homework and shooting to do before class.

Wow. I'll have to reread some of my AR/.223 stuff. My Bushmaster manual said if you zero in the AR at 25M with the long range aperture the 2nd zero will be at 375 meters- however if you then use the "std" aperture the 2nd zero will be at 250M but your 1st zero will be low- but an overall appearance of a flatter trajectory in that range. Damn I have some homework and shooting to do before class.

Forget the manual. Use a ballistics calculation program like JBM.

You do need to pick a bullet and muzzle velocity that match the ammo you will use.

Folks. this course is filling up quickly. I have just nine slots left. Don't miss out on this one. I don't know when Dave Harrington will be back here again.

He is currently at the SHOT Show doing demos of his shooting skills. He is factory-sponsored by Smith & Wesson and Cor-Bon, and a helluva nice guy in a Special Forces kind of way.

Is this a combat type class or is it mostly just rifle techniques? I am interested in this class but am unsure my equip. is right for the class. Also, does the pistol have to be a defensive gun or can it be an open style gun? I'm looking at improving my rifle skills but am unsure if this is the class for me. I'm a USPSA shooter if this helps.

Just five slots left, but I know several people have expressed great interest.

Dave Harrington is a Special Forces combat vet and instructor, so his experiences there will bleed over into this course. Send me your email address and I will send you a detailed course description and equipment list.

All defensive caliber handguns are welcome.

Darius

One person who signed up has even bought a new Bushmaster just for this class. Don't miss out on this world class training session!

To sign up, send email to [email protected] or call me at (508) 395-6500. The cost of this class is $350, and the ammo required is at least 1,000 rounds for your rifle and at least 500 for your pistol.

Send me an email if you'd like a detailed equipment list.

Darius

Last edited:
Dude! What an experience! Dave really creates an environment that gets your brain in gear (and sometimes out of gear). A brief AAR / notes:

Approx 1,300 rifle, 100 pistol rounds used. Rifle and pistol ran well, no hiccups.

3x ACOG worked great at distance, was slower up close, transitioning between targets, and when moving. No huge surprise, but something I need to work with. No sighting problems from the rain/water on lenses.

My kit was satisfactory, although the pistol mag pouches on my chest rig were a bit roomy for single stack .45 mags. Something to work on...

The shooting exercises were great. It was liberating operating under the big boy rules.

Thanks again to Darius for getting this together. Good meeting you all.

Came away with alot of things to think about. I guess that's what good training is all about.

My biggest lesson learned? If and when the stuff hits the fan, my life is on the line, and a functioning rifle means the difference between life and death - I'll take my AK over the AR anytime. I never saw so many failures-to-fire over a two-day period in my life and it seemed everyone (maybe SoxFan9 aside) experienced at least one. Whether it was the mag dropping unexpectedly, or lowers improperly assembled, or whatever - there seemed to be ample opportunity with the AR's to practice immediate action drills.

I went through over a thousand rounds of dirty, nasty Wolf 7.62x39 in my cheap, ugly, 5-year old Romanian SAR-1, and it went "bang" every time I pulled the trigger.

Thank you, Mr. Kalashnikov! Not bad for an old Russian Tanker.

Back
Top Bottom