Car starter - is it worth it?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm neutral on the issue, however... I do have one concern that has been overlooked... what if a cat has taken refuge or sought shelter in the vehicles engine compartment?
EC is going to give everyone he knows a gift certificate for a remote car starter this Xmas after reading that.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not sure what kind of truck you have, but it might be worth getting a dealer installed one. That way everything will look OEM and work flawlessly. If you don't care about that kind of stuff, then aftermarket will do.

My girlfriend has one and it is AMAZING! Just remember to set the vents and heat on!

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
When I was in school, I installed remote starters and alarms for Circuit City. IMHO there is too much room for error when putting these things in any car, espacially something brand new. I have seen airbags blown by accident, computers fried, etc. I've owned five cars since working there, any never wanted to put one in.
It seems the inception of the error is having a high school kid at Circuit City touch your car (nothing personal).

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
which is why you ask for the installers manual that comes in the box.

I can change anything on my systems without having to bother my buddy.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My guy does standard transmissions, it's just a different model module.
If your guy or anyone's guy is located around the south shore area could you send me a PM with info? I've been struggling with what to get my wife for Christmas this year. This would be perfect. She drives a standard shift Altima and has been complaining about missing her old car's starter.

Thanks,
Matt

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, I would have to leave it in neutral? Not a big fan of that idea really.
I do believe you would have to leave in neutral. Otherwise, the remote starter does not start the car. If not in neutral, the car would lurch forward and cause way more headaches.

I never got one because I drove a standard in MA and left in first gear or reverse when parked. I don't trust a parking brake that much.

kiver

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Wow just now reading this. My wife loves hers. She also loves screwing with people waiting for her to pull out of her parking spot at the mall. She will literally press the button and watch to see how long it takes for them to notice the car is not pulling out

I don't use mine as much. It is nice to melt the ice off the windshield in the am

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Doing a car with a manual transmission is not hard. I did it on my last car.

Most remote start systems come with a neutral/park safety which is connected to a car's neutral/park safety sensor. Most manual cars have this sensors but if not, a simple one can be made with a magnetic switch placed on the bottom of the shifter lever and the base of the transmission tunnel. I had to do this with my last car and it was never problematic.

Also with a manual transmission you may have to bypass the clutch safety switch which is located on the clutch pedal. Most manual transmission cars can only be started with the clutch pedal depressed. All remote start systems I know if have a clutch bypass that allows you to simulate the clutch switch to the car's computer allowing the car to start.

Doing a manual transmission correctly is only marginally harder than doing an automatic.

bfm

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If you need to park your car down the block it's more of a hassle.
Or if you work in a building with a parking lot that is quite far away.

Not everyone sleeps next to a driveway
Yeah, the time I most wish I had one was when I was renting and parking on the street. Problem was I was normally parked so far away it would not have made much difference. With the low e glass my car does not get that hot inside in the summer. There are still a couple days each winter I wish I had one, but not enough to make me get one. Maybe when I get a new car.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Yeah, the time I most wish I had one was when I was renting and parking on the street. Problem was I was normally parked so far away it would not have made much difference. With the low e glass my car does not get that hot inside in the summer. There are still a couple days each winter I wish I had one, but not enough to make me get one. Maybe when I get a new car.
It all depends on how much of a car nut you are.
I didn't get one to warm me up, I got one to warm the car up so I could get in and drive knowing that the oil was semi-warm.

bfm

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It all depends on how much of a car nut you are.
I didn't get one to warm me up, I got one to warm the car up so I could get in and drive knowing that the oil was semi-warm.
That is why I run synthetic. Also, no matter which way I am heading, the first mile of my drive is so full of traffic lights and stop signs that the car is going to be close to operating temp by the time I get to an open road.

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I know, you love rep threads/posts, so yeah I'm a dick. Next time I'll just sit back and keep my mouth shut. Opinions are like, well you know, everyone's got one. Some don't agree with others that's all. 21 pages, let's keep it going.
Opinion is one thing, calling members lazy and ball-less it a completely different story.

Don't take your ball and run home, just have an opinion and don't be a dick.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Opinion is one thing, calling members lazy and ball-less it a completely different story.

Don't take your ball and run home, just have an opinion and don't be a dick.
My comment about being lazy wasn't aimed at members directly, but more at people who bitch and whine about having to go out and clean their vehicle. Welcome to New England! Ball-less was to the ones that couldn't sign the neg. Sorry if it was taken out of context.

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My comment about being lazy wasn't aimed at members directly, but more at people who bitch and whine about having to go out and clean their vehicle. Welcome to New England! Ball-less was to the ones that couldn't sign the neg. Sorry if it was taken out of context.
Gotcha.

I grew up in Minnesota. There were -30 degree nights where if you weren't starting your car or truck every hour or so it would freeze solid and you weren't going any where later that night. Have you ever taken a deep breath in -30 degree temps?

I wasn't lazy for having a remote starter. [wink]

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
You don't have to go that far north to find areas where if you don't plug your car's block/battery heater in, you won't be going anywhere in the morning. -50 in the vallys around Sugarloaf is not uncommon and even Berlin, NH gets -30 regularly.

Big rigs can be had with diesel fired heating systems that not only provide heat for the sleeper, but circulate the warmed coolant so that the trucks can turn over easily and not have to idle the main engine all night.

Remote starters in the Phoenix are are also popular because if you don't get the car running and the AC working a few minutes before you get in, you can seriously burn yourself.

But in MA, you don't have to have a car starter to be lazy. Just look at the number of people who can't be bothered to clear off their vehicle. If the wipers can't clear it, screw it seems to be an all too common attitude.

Heck, it wasn't THAT long ago where electric starters were not standard. Suppose Pappy cbrburns called the crankless crowd lazy? (^_^)

No more having to set the choke.

No more pumping the gas and holding it before turning it over.

Heck, some cars today you just push a button and it holds the starter on FOR you.

OMG, we're all a bunch of lazy bass-tards.

(^_^)

This thread is SO much fun....

SeanT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Must be a b**** when you want to change the channel, huh? I mean if you don't get up, walk to the TV, and hit the buttons, you're being lazy, right?

Screw making life easier, remote controls are for weenies.

Top Bottom