Car starter - is it worth it?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ok on a serious note. I installed these things for years. Don't EVER buy a starter from a big box store. I hate to stereotype but the people they hire these things are short on chromosomes in most cases. (1 bad egg ruins the dozen kinda thing) Stick with a major brand like Viper or Valet. Pretty much anything made by DEI )directred electronics is a safe bet. If your car is made in the 2000's or later it most likely has some sort of anti theft that TEMPORARILY needs to be bypassed while starting the car. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions about starters. If you were closer I would even install it for you.

CBRBURNS. Seriously, STFU. Nobody cares. Quit being an attention whore. Wow, you're tough, you walk to work in the snow and shovel your driveway. Well guess what? Not everybody likes doing things the hard way. Next time you have to build something, perhaps a deck. Why don't you use a screwdriver to put it together. Maybe you will have less time to post your shenanigans on here.

J

Jose

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
It shouldn't take 10 minutes to start your car. 1 min to walk out, 5 sec most for the starter, 10 more secs to go back up stairs. I guess I'm just old school, I shovel too.
So you leave your car running unlocked and with the keys in it?

Smart......[rolleyes]

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yes, worth it!

Will never own another car/truck without one. I cant rely on the wife to go out there and start it for me every morning. She is usually busy removing the snow from it, I like to help her out.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So you leave your car running unlocked and with the keys in it?

Smart......[rolleyes]
Smart is living in an area where I don't have to worry about it. My truck could sit with the doors open and the keys in the ignition for a week, and it wouldn't get touched. Actually, my neighbors would probably be nice enough to close the doors for me.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
CBRBURNS. Seriously, STFU. Nobody cares. Quit being an attention whore. Wow, you're tough, you walk to work in the snow and shovel your driveway. Well guess what? Not everybody likes doing things the hard way. Next time you have to build something, perhaps a deck. Why don't you use a screwdriver to put it together. Maybe you will have less time to post your shenanigans on here.
No attention whore here, just my opinion. I'm entitled to it just like you. The walk to work was a joke son.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Smart is living in an area where I don't have to worry about it. My truck could sit with the doors open and the keys in the ignition for a week, and it wouldn't get touched. Actually, my neighbors would probably be nice enough to close the doors for me.
Yeah? Where is that wonderland so I can move there? You can't get much safer than where I grew up, and my father had his house robbed a few years ago.

You just never know. It's typically not your neighbors you have to worry about. It's the punks from outside the neighborhood looking for a quick hit. That's why they go to neighborhoods where people feel safe and aren't as cautious.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yeah? Where is that wonderland so I can move there? You can't get much safer than where I grew up, and my father had his house robbed a few years ago.

You just never know. It's typically not your neighbors you have to worry about. It's the punks from outside the neighborhood looking for a quick hit.
yeah, I know, just like the poor woman killed in NH by those a**holes. you never know

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The installation is as important as the product. I had one installed by Curry Audio of Milford. A couple of years later, the car would not start on an intermittent basis. It was diagnosed as the starter and I paid a local shop for an out of warranty replacement - but that did not fix the problem. Another paid service call to a shop specializing in electric work found the problem. Curry had crimped in the connection to bypass the GM VATS system (a resistor in the key), and the resistance value was varying due to a this non-soldered connection.

Also, the preferred way to integrate a car starter with VATS is to set the remote to switch in a resistor of the proper value. Curry simply wired in a resistor to bypass the VATS feature on a full-time basis, so that even when the remote was not in use, a key with the right cuts, but no VATS or incorrect VATS, would still work. Most importantly, Curry Audio never told me about that they were removing a security feature as part of the installation.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The installation is as important as the product. I had one installed by Curry Audio of Milford. A couple of years later, the car would not start on an intermittent basis. It was diagnosed as the starter and I paid a local shop for an out of warranty replacement - but that did not fix the problem. Another paid service call to a shop specializing in electric work found the problem. Curry had crimped in the connection to bypass the GM VATS system (a resistor in the key), and the resistance value was varying due to a this non-soldered connection.
I've seen that happen all too often. Like I said in a previous post, there is too much room for error with remote starters and alarms. If you don't go to a reputable shop something will go wrong. If any of you guys decide to get one, stick with DEI products.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
how my guy handles the Ford PATS key, is you have to give him a spare key. For those of you that own fords it is IMPPERATIVE you always have 2 keys stashed away, which leaves 6 keys you can still enter into the system one you need to install a remote start.
So anyway he cuts the key aeay fron the head, which holds the RFID chip. That goes in a case that is buried up in the wiring. When the remote starter cranks, it pulses 2 coils, one around the key head, and one installed around the ignition cylinder. This transfers the information to the PATS module and lets the car start.

If a thief knew there was a remote start in the car, and had a non PATS key cut to fit the cylinder, and could dig the key head out from under the dashboard, they could hold it close enough to the cylinder to get the vehicle to start using the unauthorized key.

I don't know how he does GM cars, he has only done one for a family member, but I do know that GM uses 11 different chips, which are basically resistors, and if you put the wrong value key in, it immobilizes the ECM for a period of time.

I had a customer with a 91 F body, car was broken into, typical blow the bowl off the column pull up on the rod car starts type of job, but the thief didn't have the chip key so it would crank all day, but not start. When I went to get the car I had to have the key to get the ECM to come to life when I pushed on the rod.

In theory if you had all 11 key blanks, and the time to sit there through the time out cycle, at some point you could get the car to start after you broke the bowl to get at the rod and defeated the steering wheel locking pin, but the idea of any factory anti theft system is to discourage any attempt by making it easier to go after a unprotected car.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You are very right about starting the vehicle before taking off. The question is, are you willing to go out in the freezing cold winter weather to start the car, or just sit inside and push a button. And what it's worth.
Well it appears that you like to sit inside and push buttons. [smile]

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Put your car in the garage, it's much easier.

No garage? Build one.....and put the car in it, and don't overfill it with lawnmowers, and trash barrels, leaving the single most expensive investment you'll ever make, outside.

Yeah, I know.......... [rolleyes]
Blasphemy!! That is where the boat goes in the winter!! Diagonally across the two bay garage surrounded by a plethora of lawnmoweres, garbage pails bikes and other assorted crap!

Hence my wife has a car starter. [smile]

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Put your car in the garage, it's much easier.

No garage? Build one.....and put the car in it, and don't overfill it with lawnmowers, and trash barrels, leaving the single most expensive investment you'll ever make, outside.

Yeah, I know.......... [rolleyes]
My landlord would love that. I'll just build it right over my space in the parking lot, lol.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
167 replies, 2,597 views and a dogpile flame-war - on a car starter thread...I really do love this place...[cheers]
I'm neutral on the issue, however... I do have one concern that has been overlooked... what if a cat has taken refuge or sought shelter in the vehicles engine compartment?

Cat's do that all the time.

At least if a person starts their vehicle the normal way (walk up to the door, unlock it, slam the door shut, etc), the feline is alerted and can abandon it's hiding spot before the engine is cranked over.

With a remote starter... the poor kitty has little to no warning that it's life is in danger.

It also sucks for the vehicle owner because now they have a FUBAR'ed ex-cat all tangled up in the pulleys, belts and radiator.

So... next time anyone praises the merits and convenience of remote starters, please take a moment to forget about your own sloth and comfort and think of the cats.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm neutral on the issue, however... I do have one concern that has been overlooked... what if a cat has taken refuge or sought shelter in the vehicles engine compartment?

Cat's do that all the time.

At least if a person starts their vehicle the normal way (walk up to the door, unlock it, slam the door shut, etc), the feline is alerted and can abandon it's hiding spot before the engine is cranked over.

With a remote starter... the poor kitty has little to no warning that it's life is in danger.

It also sucks for the vehicle owner because now they have a FUBAR'ed ex-cat all tangled up in the pulleys, belts and radiator.

So... next time anyone praises the merits and convenience of remote starters, please take a moment to forget about your own sloth and comfort and think of the cats.
LMAO!! I hate cats, so it's not a concern for me..[laugh]
My husband's starter actually dings twice, the lights come on, then the engine starts, giving the cat plenty of notice..

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I see what you did there! You were trying to invoke "Coyle's law" by turning this into another cat thread, damn you! [laugh]

-Mike

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Manual transmission here. No remote start for me. I do want to add remote detonate though, in case my Jeep ever gets ripped off. I'll call it the Jeep Mangler.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah right. I'm not going to buy something because MAYBE someone's stray cat MIGHT get hurt.

Just like we shouldn't have guns because someone MIGHT steal one and hurt someone.

Wonderful logic there, for sure.
Fine... let this be on your conscious...

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Manual transmission here. No remote start for me. I do want to add remote detonate though, in case my Jeep ever gets ripped off. I'll call it the Jeep Mangler.
My guy does standard transmissions, it's just a different model module.

Top Bottom