Car starter - is it worth it?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey...

Was thinking about getting a car starter for my truck... any thoughts - is it worth it (do folks that have one use it in the winter?). Not sure if this is something that sounds appealing but ends up seeing very little use. Don't really need anything special. Thanks

Any recommendations on an installer? (metro west location - willing to travel a bit)

Thanks

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I get home, I put the heat (in the car) on full blast. Then in the morning as soon as I get into the kitchen for coffee, I hit that magical little button, and 5-10 miinutes later, I get into my toasty car.

It's only worth it if you use it.

lemonlime571

Army Veteran
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
It's amazing. Complete defrosting in the winter before you even get in the car. So you use more gas. I'll spend a few extra bucks to not gave to out and scrape the windshield at 4am!! I love mine! And in the summer you can have a nice ac'd car before you get in.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one in my wife's car. It gets used all the time. In the summer it's nice to have the AC cool it down (black car) in the winter it's great to warm it up.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When I get home, I put the heat (in the car) on full blast. Then in the morning as soon as I get into the kitchen for coffee, I hit that magical little button, and 5-10 miinutes later, I get into my toasty car.

It's only worth it if you use it.
My too. I crank the defroster. No scraping.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I think it's worth it. I also get an insurance discount because it's also an ignition disable. You can get a certificate from an installer to give to your insurance company.

I use it during the winter to start the truck and warm it up and during the summer I use it to cool it down. Plus I like the door lock/unlock feature.

The place I use is south of Boston, so that's probably not any help to you.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is it really that hard to get out of bed 10 minutes earlier? Just like people who bitch about scraping their windows, start your car a few minutes ahead of time. Laziness

Absolutely. I've always said "I don't want to make enough money to do everything I want to. I want to make enough money to not have to do the things I don't want to."

I suppose you get up several hours early, though, and walk to work. You're not lazy enough to drive a car.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Absolutely. I've always said "I don't want to make enough money to do everything I want to. I want to make enough money to not have to do the things I don't want to."

I suppose you get up several hours early, though, and walk to work. You're not lazy enough to drive a car.
Yup, I walk 45 miles to work every day. Where I live, I'm sure I deal with more snow than most. It doesn't take much to walk out and turn the key. [rolleyes]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are people really that lazy that they can't go out and turn the key? Let me guess, you don't shovel your own driveway do you? I can't leave for work, my driveway hasn't been plowed yet!
We get the point.....you don't want one. Here is a novel idea; don't get one. I take it since your first post pissing on the idea got ignored you needed to step it up a notch. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
We get the point.....you don't want one. Here is a novel idea, don't get one. I take since your first post pissing on the idea got ignored, so you needed to step it up a notch. [rolleyes]
I'd love to have one, but IMO it's not worth the money. Stop hitting the snooze button. BTW, I was responding to a reply, it wasn't ignored..........thanks.

Last edited:

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
So when are they going to start fining you guys for using these starter devices? C 90 § 16a [wink]
(c) vehicles engaged in an operation for which the engine power is necessary for an associate power need other than movement and substitute alternate power means cannot be made available provided that such operation does not cause or contribute to a condition of air pollution.
My engine meets all emissions standards, so it can't possibly contribute to air pollution. [wink]

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
My engine meets all emissions standards, so it can't possibly contribute to air pollution. [wink]
Ok, so you're not going to make Al Gore cry, but you still have to show that "substitute alternate power means cannot be made available." I think cbrburns has a theory on what that substitute power should be. [laugh]

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm sold.... (not that I'm lazy, just appreciate a warm vehicle in the winter and a cool vehicle in the summer) - looking around the web for local installers - prices don't seem that bad - 200 dollars or so

Top Bottom