Car rear racks, Plate visibility

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I see it a lot as well and wonder how they avoid tickets.

I was pulled over in Colorado many moons ago by the State Police for a rear plate totally covered in grime. I got out to look and you really couldn't even tell if it had a plate it was so bad. Long story but I didn't have my driver's license so to the cruiser we both went while he was calling in all my details. The guy was pretty cool about the whole thing even after not being able to confirm the details as the system was down. Anyway he tells me to clean it off when I stop for the night and I quickly replied no, I'll do it right now cause the next guy might not be so cool.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
As soon as they put up the plate readers on the pike, I said that everyone will soon be driving around with bike racks mounted on their cars obscuring their plate.

Some "dirt" covering the front plate and instant free pike trips.

nutsym16

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about stealth plate covers also. None of this would happen if we still had the registry police

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I see it a lot as well and wonder how they avoid tickets.
Its more like "how they avoid stops" reasonable person thing makes this a tossable offense. However, I wouldn't run an obscured plate because basically you're putting a sign on your car that says FISHING HOLE HERE so its an automatic excuse for a stop, where they will look for "other" stuff.

TrackDayRdr

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as they put up the plate readers on the pike, I said that everyone will soon be driving around with bike racks mounted on their cars obscuring their plate.
Some "dirt" covering the front plate and instant free pike trips.
My bike rack was $500, that's a lot of Pike trips. Cheaper to pay the toll.

To the OP's point: there are 1,000s of fold up bike racks on the road in the summer and with mountain biking getting more popular by the minute, there is little chance this will be any risk. Same defense theory an anchovy has against right whales.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its more like "how they avoid stops" reasonable person thing makes this a tossable offense. However, I wouldn't run an obscured plate because basically you're putting a sign on your car that says FISHING HOLE HERE so its an automatic excuse for a stop, where they will look for "other" stuff.
Exactly!! But if a person is stopped for the obstructed plate and something else is found. The citation should still have the obstructed plate charge on it as the first charge.

a73elkyss

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Peoples Republic of Central Massachusetts

To the OP's point: there are 1,000s of fold up bike racks on the road in the summer and with mountain biking getting more popular by the minute, there is little chance this will be any risk. Same defense theory an anchovy has against right whales.
I have a fold up Thule bike rack and a seperate fold up basket trailer hitch cargo carrier. With bikes or cargo secured, the plate on Mrs. a73elkyss's Nissan Rogue, the plate is obscured. I understand the OP's question, but we've never been pulled over or even asked about by any police. I have more concern that when I'm backing into a parking space (always back in... no, not like that! :( ) that I allow for the extra length. There is no way I could use or transport the bikes, or the extra luggage without these racks.

As a matter of fact, I installed the hitch just to use these.

YMMV

Jay

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Meet the law 1/2 way.

Create a sign with you plate # on it and post it in the back window.

It may look silly but could help you avoid a ticket.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Meet the law 1/2 way.

Create a sign with you plate # on it and post it in the back window.

It may look silly but could help you avoid a ticket.
Likely still not legal, likely still not enough to keep you from getting pulled over by a douche cop for it.

That said, I see f***ed up obstructed plates all the time.....

If you're in the herd probably not likely to get stopped for this. 2am only car on the road only cop on the road.... instead shitmagnet time

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're in the herd probably not likely to get stopped for this. 2am only car on the road only cop on the road.... instead shitmagnet time
Usually when a stop is made for this, either the driver is known (usually for negative reasons) or the cop is trying to find something do on a dead stretch of road that he/she is assigned to patrol. Becomes a legitimate stop, and anything else found is a plus. Folks you may not like it, but that is just the facts of life.

a73elkyss

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Peoples Republic of Central Massachusetts
Likely still not legal, likely still not enough to keep you from getting pulled over by a douche cop for it.

That said, I see f***ed up obstructed plates all the time..... If you're in the herd probably not likely to get stopped for this. 2am only car on the road only cop on the road.... instead shitmagnet time
Not disagreeing but, I've traveled quite a bit, like most, with either the cargo rack or the bike rack (both with bikes/item on both and /or folded up) and (knock on wood) have not been even looked at twice. Granted, I'm an old fart that looks to be no threat to anyone, but c'mon man, has anybody been stopped for obstructed rear plates because of this? Curious minds want to know.

Jay

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ar you supposed to hang your plate from the bike rack?

Because I have never seen anyone do that and during the summer the highway is full of cars with bike racks.

Saw this yesterday, Not just a small tube frame View attachment 322045 any more. any comments?
Taking pictures while driving ... nice.

Last edited:

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not disagreeing but, I've traveled quite a bit, like most, with either the cargo rack or the bike rack (both with bikes/item on both and /or folded up) and (knock on wood) have not been even looked at twice. Granted, I'm an old fart that looks to be no threat to anyone, but c'mon man, has anybody been stopped for obstructed rear plates because of this? Curious minds want to know.

Jay
I am also curious. Back when I drove a car, my mountain bikes would always be covering the plate and I used to drive from MA to NH a lot, usually going past at least 2 or 3 cops on my way to the trails.

No one ever bothered me.

I never left a rack on 24/7 covering the plate.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, Like I said earlier, being stopped for that violation is usually a legitimate "tool" to stop the vehicle. The last Time (and only time) ( he had a trailer Ball in front of the plate)I did it was to stop a known Game bandit coming out of a wood area road. Yes he had fresh killed game birds in his truck(feathers on the seat) gave the probable cause that I needed to look further. Cited for the obstructed plate, and hunting closed season, with a report "ARTICULATING" all my steps to get where I got.

chris_1001

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0

Jay
Yup. G/F got pulled over for a bike rack obstructing her plate 2 years ago in morning rush hour traffic on RT 3 south (just after getting off 495)

nice clean jeep grand Cherokee.

Cop was a bit of a dick, but got a warning.

Said criminals do this.

to this day she is still pi$$ed

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. G/F got pulled over for a bike rack obstructing her plate 2 years ago in morning rush hour traffic on RT 3 south (just after getting off 495)

nice clean jeep grand Cherokee.

Cop was a bit of a dick, but got a warning.

Said criminals do this.

to this day she is still pi$$ed
Some Trooper looking to check out a hot chick, or anything else he could find. At least from what you allude to, That he put it in writing per a written warning.

chris_1001

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Some Trooper looking to check out a hot chick, or anything else he could find. At least from what you allude to, That he put it in writing per a written warning.
[/ ]

no, he Had just finished another stop, chased her and berated her. If he wanted a date, he has NO game. If you know that area, it’s not the time or place to pull anyone over unless it’s serious.

chris_1001

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
no, he Had just finished another stop, chased her and berated her. If he wanted a date, he has NO game. If you know that area, it’s not the time or place to pull anyone over unless it’s serious.

she is squeaky clean. Maybe one ticket in ten years, management, etc. got all but the riot act.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

she is squeaky clean. Maybe one ticket in ten years, management, etc. got all but the riot act.
I know the area very well, I grew up in N. Billerica and Lived in North Chelmsford from Nov 1978 until March 2005, Patrolled that are area for over 25 years.

chris_1001

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I know the area very well, I grew up in N. Billerica and Lived in North Chelmsford from Nov 1978 until March 2005, Patrolled that are area for over 25 years.
S#it show there every morning. To pull a girl over for this in rush hour is a waste. And adds to the crazy traffic.

she looked up the laws in other states. Apparently you can post a visible plate number to offset an obstruction in at least one state. But this is not that state.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S#it show there every morning. To pull a girl over for this in rush hour is a waste. And adds to the crazy traffic.
How I know so well, I used to plow snow on that section of Highway. When you are up in a big truck you really can see all the idiots.

Top Bottom