Car battery charger

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i guess my 30 year old one is about to die. Was looking around online, and i do not recognize a single brand name (other than Black and Decker). Who makes a good brand/model. I need 6v/12V, probably at least 10 amps.

Not sure if i want a "smart" charger or not...am wondering if it will over-ride what i want it to do on very discharged batteries. But i welcome comments!

GomerPile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a Schumacher unit I got at Walmart. Guessing that this is the latest version of it: https://amzn.to/2PwQIev .

Its not very speedy but has worked on ATV, Snowmobile, Golf cart, and truck batteries without any issues. Had mine for about 2 years with no issues.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Most of the "smart" chargers won't charge a severely discharged battery (below 10v or so). Schumacher chargers are simple power supplies without all that smart crap. Also, anything with a "rejuvenator" mode is a red flag for crap.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
The 10 amp job I bought at Harbor Fright hasn't caught on fire yet, and I've used it a few times, also to charge a battery that got pulled waaaaay low after my alternator failed this past summer.... [rofl]

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have a NAPA branded one that seems to work quite well recharging and maintaining my car, motorcycle, marine deep cycle and lawn tractor batteries. It is compact and light, but capable of automatic charging, 6v/12v, 50/10/2 amps, and has a charging algorithm selector switch for the type of battery (AGM, sealed, marine DC, etc.). Don't know who actually makes it.

I also have a cheap HF "automatic" trickle charger that cooked a motorcycle battery dry. Won't be trusting those anymore.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Schumacher digital here for the garage, it's been pretty good, even though charging a batt has always been an arduous process.

Just got a few NOCO GB 40 Lithium jump units, people rave about them, they sure do look sexy, time will tell if they actually work.

Noco is also coming out with an inline/on-board plug in charger 12/31 for like $50. I was all excited until I noticed Stanley Tools already sells the same thing for $15.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a Schumacher unit I got at Walmart. Guessing that this is the latest version of it: https://amzn.to/2PwQIev .

Its not very speedy but has worked on ATV, Snowmobile, Golf cart, and truck batteries without any issues. Had mine for about 2 years with no issues.
I have an older Sears charger with same charging amps, 10 amps then switches to 2 amps when complete, perfect for home use. I also have the big boy at work for the heavy trucks.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an older Sears charger with same charging amps, 10 amps then switches to 2 amps when complete, perfect for home use. I also have the big boy at work for the heavy trucks.
yep, that sounds like the one I have that is crapping out. I liked it...it must be 25 years old, the multiposition switch does not hold anymore....maybe i should just find a new switch for it! LOL

ldi

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So i guess my 30 year old one is about to die. Was looking around online, and i do not recognize a single brand name (other than Black and Decker). Who makes a good brand/model. I need 6v/12V, probably at least 10 amps.

Not sure if i want a "smart" charger or not...am wondering if it will over-ride what i want it to do on very discharged batteries. But i welcome comments!
I have a smart charger that works perfect but I cannot find it since I gave my older one to the neighbor :)

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Two Schumacher full-size models (one at my shop) and a small maintenance unit. They all work well. The newest one has a 55 amp starting mode that has fired up my Silverado when the battery was stone dead. Tractor Supply has a good selection.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
We got a NOCO Genius charger and it’s fantastic. Can charge conventional, AGM, or Lithium. Smart profiles, and the larger ones have a five minute booster.

Had been using Clore, but these are better. We have two: this is the larger. We use the other for motorcycles, sleds etc.

NOCO Genius G15000 12V/24V 15 Amp Pro-Series Battery Charger and Maintainer View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKIBVU0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_L7T7DbGRMNDS8

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Another point, charging a 5 year old battery is not going to end well. You will be replacing it when single digit weather takes it out for good.

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a Noco genius, great for jumping low batteries, But they WILL NOT jump a dead battery.

Last edited:

Sully

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
We got a NOCO Genius charger and it’s fantastic. Can charge conventional, AGM, or Lithium. Smart profiles, and the larger ones have a five minute booster.

Had been using Clore, but these are better. We have two: this is the larger. We use the other for motorcycles, sleds etc.

NOCO Genius G15000 12V/24V 15 Amp Pro-Series Battery Charger and Maintainer View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKIBVU0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_L7T7DbGRMNDS8
Bought a couple of those for the cars after a bad streak of dead batteries at the house. Of course, haven't had a dead battery since. Info says they keep a charge for a year, I plan to recharge every 6 months or so. Want to use it, but also hope I never need to.

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Can't help you with 6v. But for 12v, I have 2 of these that not only charge, but maintain batteries. The tractor battery is going on 9 years now and the Motorcycle is at 5. Several other AGM batteries for other uses also have longer than expected life using this setup.

Battery Minder

Not only does it maintain a charge and pulse to remove sulfates, but it has a temperature sensor to ensure that the charge is right for the conditions. Several small AGM batteries I use (roughly 80 amp hours) are fully recharged overnight. They do make a more powerful version if you need faster charging, but it's much more $$.

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I have a Schumacher Heavy Duty 80A/12A/2A at the house it works great! I built a roof to keep the rain out of it but you need to leave enough space on the top so the heat can escape.

HD has them in stock at the stores for $80.00 Blains has the same one for $55.00
1575946954244.png
Blains

HD

I have one of these at the shop but it's about $170.00
225/50/6/2 Battery Charger

1575947177394.png

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Schumacher Heavy Duty 80A/12A/2A at the house it works great! I built a roof to keep the rain out of it but you need to leave enough space on the top so the heat can escape.

HD has them in stock at the stores for $80.00 Blains has the same one for $55.00
View attachment 317376
Blains
THIS is the sort of problem i worry about with the schumacher chargers:
1575975664820.png

i am not sure exactly what type of battery i will be charging, and do not want the charger "telling me what to do". If i have a heavy sulphated battery, i will just set it at 2 A and let it cook away, maybe adding some water along the way

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This reminds me, I need to pick up an AGM charger. Needed to give my Odysseys a boost of the standard charger last week. No good.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I know not too much here. I'm reading about sulfites and build up. I heard a tale a Marine told me once: drop a dead battery on a solid surface, charge it, it will come back to life. Any truth?

arsco

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will sometimes work for a short time. It knocks the crap off that bridges the plates.

I have a bunch of the noco chargers of various sizes and have the gb70 jump box. All have worked well for me.

If you have a smart charger that won't charge a dead battery you can trick it by paralleling with a good batter till the dead one gets some voltage

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know not too much here. I'm reading about sulfites and build up. I heard a tale a Marine told me once: drop a dead battery on a solid surface, charge it, it will come back to life. Any truth?
If a battery is sulphated, I'm not sure if dropping it would do the trick. Better chances of breaking something internally. The way to break up sulphation is to charge it, then charge it again, and again depending on how bad it is. We will cook heavily sulphated batteries for 72 hours on a constant current if they're really bad. These are huge forklift batteries though, not a car.

My inlaws golf cart batteries were in pretty bad shape last summer after it sat barely used for the past few years. All I had to charge it was its standard charger. It took about 7-8 cycles while I monitored it to get the acid gravities up where they should be.

Top Bottom